LegacyGT.com

JDM Rain Visor installation

EDO made good on their 5-week lead time for the backorder - I was informed of product arrival last week, and sure enough, the item(s - as I also ordered a Zero/Sports Cool-Action II splitter) arrived yesterday.

From what I can see of the packaging, it's clear that EDO's stockroom verified that the items were as-described as well as undamaged, prior to re-shipping from their Stateside location. That says a lot of the quality of the Vendor.

EDO has been exceptional in their C/S, and they'll definitely have my business again.

Install was a snap, on both the JDM rain-visors as well as the splitter.

I took my time, and spent about an hour on the rain-visors, first reading through this post, familiarizing myself with both the English (as provided by scoobiedoobie :D) as well as enclosed Japanese (which were BL-specific) instructions, plus the cited "helpful threads" from the OP.

Honestly, though, it could've easily been done in half that time, if not less.

I can now confirm fitment, of alvinator's question in post #23, above.

Versus the AVS (aka "USDM") rain-visor, aesthetically, there's no contest - the OEM JDM wins, hands down. They're nearly invisible, and the out-turn at the leading edge blends so well with the front mirror mounts that it's obvious some designer at Subaru took their time with this piece, and gave it good thought. The difference in overall fit and finish, of course, is also readily apparent, and again favors the OEM JDM component. Certainly, the authentic status makes the difference - as well it should, given the cost difference. If I had this to do over again, I think I would have outright skipped the AVS units, and saved up directly for the JDM. It's truly worth every penny, aesthetically.

I'll have to see about functionality. It's raining, here, now, but I want to give a little time for the glue from the 3M tape to set.

Thanks for this reference thread, scoobiedoobie, it was of tremendous help! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll advise you that these are not as effective as the big, ugly visors but effective enough for what I need of them...cracked windows while driving in the rain. Definitely cuts back on the fogging up on the glass and keeps the car comfortable. Left the rear windows cracked last night while getting dinner with a friend (oops!) and through the whole night the rain didn't get in.

Things I like about them...this isn't just some slab of black plastic, it's super-dark-purple-opaque plastic with a rubber inner lip and enough flex to take 'normal' abuse but strength to withstand it. Very well made, and very sharp on a wagon...

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

I'll advise you that these are not as effective as the big, ugly visors but effective enough for what I need of them...cracked windows while driving in the rain. Definitely cuts back on the fogging up on the glass and keeps the car comfortable. Left the rear windows cracked last night while getting dinner with a friend (oops!) and through the whole night the rain didn't get in.

Thank you - that's my main goal, as a habitual "window cracker."

From my few weeks' experience with the AVS units, it was surprisingly not as effective as I would have thought them to be, and others here seemed, via their measurements and experiences, suggest that the JDM units were doing that job either as well or even better.

Even if the JDM units only do as well as the AVS - or heck, even less, I'd still honestly be plenty happy. The aesthetics of the AVS just really wasn't something that I ever completely got used to, which is why I went the JDM route, eventually.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Things I like about them...this isn't just some slab of black plastic, it's super-dark-purple-opaque plastic with a rubber inner lip and enough flex to take 'normal' abuse but strength to withstand it. Very well made, and very sharp on a wagon...

I find that my JDM wagon visors satisfy my penchant for JDM add ons, but thats about it.

We get a lot of rain up here in the PNW, and as partywagon notes, they don't work as well as say, an AVS version. But they look much sleeker and fit and install to OEM standards.

I can crack my windows in the rain about.... a half inch before rain starts to come in. That's not a lot.:lol:

BUT THEY LOOK SO COOL!!!:cool::cool::lol:

I can crack my windows in the rain about.... a half inch before rain starts to come in. That's not a lot.:lol:

Depending on where you took the measurement from, as well as the kind of rain that's falling and if you're moving, that's actually, surprisingly, about as much as you could do, with the AVS, too.

If the JDMs can come remotely close to the AVS, I'm more than happy - for, as with others here, it's the JDM-ness, the aesthetics, that drove me to this purchase.

The AVS units certainly functioned well enough. I just couldn't get used to looking at them.

Not enough rain, yet, to give a good assessment - there was only a slight drizzle during my commute today, and the day of my install, it actually cleared up, by the time I headed out. :redface:

In terms of cabin wind intrusion, definitely, the larger AVS units did more. For a wind-in-the-hair kind of guy like me, though, the AVS *almost* seemed to have done too good of a job managing this issue. The JDM units, particularly with the rear windows down, offer what I think is a much better compromise, if you like to have some wind in your face. :) For those who like a more controlled cabin, though, the AVS are a better choice, especially if you're not fond of rolling down your back windows with the fronts.

I have not yet been able to test Anna's rear-seat reactions, with the windows down, with the JDM units - it's been a little too cold for that, despite knowing that she's a polar-bear, herself. :)

I'm always tweaking my windows so that I get a proper mix of natural circulation, temperature regulation and wind around my head. Moonroof vented to max (wagon = front glass piece up all the way), rear windows down about an inch w/PS down a bit more than DS is perfect.

Before the rainguards I would also have to factor in that wind buffetting effect you get sometimes (the whomp-whomp-whomp pressure pulses) but now it's much less common. Another reason to go with these, wish I'd picked them up sooner.

I only get bothered when the wind takes hold of my ballcap...I'm a "perpetual ball-cap" kind of guy, I shower daily, and I tend to keep my hair shorter, but I like the convenience - many of my newer friends and co-workers are shocked to see that I have a full head of hair :lol: .

My Prodrive hat is among my loosest fitting, and how well it stayed put on my head was among the first things I noticed, with the AVS visors in place.

I haven't gotten a chance to test, with the JDMs, yet. Perhaps I'll rotate that cap into my wardrobe, tomorrow! :)

^ If I come over to your place, and find the box, can I have a finder's fee? :lol:

^ If I come over to your place, and find the box, can I have a finder's fee? :lol:

Yeah - good luck with that - there's at least 100 other boxes (we just moved from a SoCal 4-stall into a SoCar 2-stall home) stacked floor-to-about 10 feet all the way across the the two stalls.

I know they're in there because I saw them come off the truck, but watching the garage stuff be unloaded, was like watching a flood of water fill up a small gorge - one second it's completely empty, the next second, it's splashing over the edges and into other areas :eek:

But back OT, looking forward to getting these installed, especially with the rainy season and the inside moisture.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

^ I hear ya - I've moved too often in my life, in my younger years. I've had enough! We've recently settled into our first home, my first permanent place, as an adult, and we've been here now for just over 4 years, and I will be very, very sad to move on from this happy little house. :)

But yes, back OT! :D

The JDMs did surprisingly well in the light rain we had today.

I was able to open the front windows (I did not do the rears, as I wanted some time to specifically focus on the fronts), at-rest (i.e. "stopped"), somewhere between 3/4 and 1 inch, measured at the "roofline," and between 1/3 and 1/2 inch, at the "leading edge," at the A-pillar, without rain intrusion - moving, I was able to open the windows at least 1 and 1/2 inches at the roofline, and somewhere between 3/4 and 1-inch, at the A-pillar leading edge.

This compares well, actually, with the AVS unit.

I'm actually quite surprised that the low-profile JDM unit can virtually match the "rain blocking" capabilites of the much larger, much higher profile AVS units! :eek:

I've yet to test highway speeds - as to whether or not the unit will "whistle," at least on my car, as some have reported having on theirs.

^ Good question - I don't know.

When I ordered (and what I was charged, given that EDO makes good on the charge transaction as soon as they put in for an overseas customer order), it was $220, matching that of the price shown for the BP, at the moment.

I don't know if the exchange rate may have played a part in their current pricing revision.

^ We all know you're special! :p;)

----

tingtang, I'd also, as with Subietonic, bet that if you contacted EDO, they'd run one again.

I've known several people in the Scooby community who obtained their sets from EDO through various GBs.

----

Note: These visors, as with the AVS units, are totally ineffective when rain is coming "sideways."

Duh! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
I also emailed them and asked about a group buy but it better be way cheaper than $220 as well to even be worth it... Japanparts.com is selling real jdm ones for 228.98 which to me is the better buy... These are real similar to them but looking at pictures they don't look as sleek...

I also emailed them and asked about a group buy but it better be way cheaper than $220 as well to even be worth it... Japanparts.com is selling real jdm ones for 228.98 which to me is the better buy... These are real similar to them but looking at pictures they don't look as sleek...

Got a link or part number (xxx-xxx-xxx) for the visors on japanparts.com?

the Visors from EDO are real JDM here is their part number STI-E3617AG000 and i also emailed japanparts and the $220 they have posted does not include shipping and handling and customs fees which will make it cost more then the visors listed on EDOs website for $295.

I am currently running a group buy for the visors if you are interested check this link out

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2770472#post2770472

... $220 they have posted does not include shipping and handling and customs fees ...

Must have changed. $220 was what I spent, a couple years ago.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Archived