LegacyGT.com

talk me out of buying a Lotus Exige

is this going to be a hardcore track car? or do you still want to be able to commute?

it's a phenomenal car for sure, i would love to have one. but it's pretty hardcore. the sound insulation is minimal and as others mentioned, haha if you are tall it might be difficult to fit in the car and also getting in and out can be a challenge due to the low height of the chassis.

the one thing i would have complaints about is the gearbox, having driven the gen of toyota celicas that the powertrain is lifted from, the shift gates are closer than i prefer.

another car you might want to consider is a porsche cayman, i know it's not the same concept; but it does offer a lot more creature comforts, esp the newest revision with bluetooth, ipod aux, nav, etc etc; overall it is more refined for commuting as well. with a couple of tweaks it can be pretty quick.

The cayman is what came to my mind aswell, simular price range aswell.

also porsche has a wider network of suppliers and dealerships for servicing and support. i don't know how many places there are that would be able to service a lotus.

but the lotus would be unique. i've always wanted one since i was a kid.

the only flaw with the exige is probably luggage space, can't carry more than two and i do hope that you fit in.

otherwise, manual, small engine and lightness, how can you disagree to not getting one?

well, price can be a consideration in these times but its up to you.

the only flaw with the exige is probably luggage space, can't carry more than two and i do hope that you fit in.

otherwise, manual, small engine and lightness, how can you disagree to not getting one?

well, price can be a consideration in these times but its up to you.

If your buying any lotus storage space shouldnt be in the conversation

I'm going to be keeping my Legacy GT, so the storage thing isn't really an issue. At the same time, I'm the kind of guy who will want to drive the fun car on a daily basis ... so maybe the people who mentioned creature comforts might be right. I've only been on the track once or twice, and am not planning to make this a "track only" car.

I'll look at the Cayman S also. Though I love Porsche, I'm getting the impression Porsche is bought primarily by douches. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm just telling myself that Lotus owners aren't douches so I can sleep at night.

Something to consider if you aren't going to be serious about tracking the car...

Cars as extreme as these (ultra performance, minimal creature comforts, extreme capabilities) are about the most fun you can have with your clothes on... on a track where you can really push them.

On the street, where you have to use some restraint to avoid the hospital or jail, you may actually have more fun with something that still has a lot of performance, but still has a/c, stereo, and some practicality that makes it good for more than just the Sunday morning drive. C6 Vette, Cayman, 911, etc...

I learned this personally with sportbikes. For a long time, I rode sportbikes on the street. When I started spending serious time on the track, I discovered I really didn't enjoy them as much on the street because it was frustrating to have so much performance, and only using 50-60% of it. I now ride a sport-touring bike on the street, that has 90% of the performance, but much more comfort and practicality, and I'm still having a lot of fun, which is what it's all about, right?? ;)

Though I love Porsche, I'm getting the impression Porsche is bought primarily by douches. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm just telling myself that Lotus owners aren't douches so I can sleep at night.

:lol: !!

i don't think that's necessarily true. there are douches to be had everywhere, no matter the make of car. i think there are a lot of true car enthusiasts who drive porsches as well, for many it is one of the more attainable sportscars to offer a "pure" driving experience. the new ones are even better now that they include more luxury comforts. the PDK tranny is also pretty sweet, esp for the lazy days.

besides, cayman has two trunks, i would love to go grocery shopping and then pop the hood to place my items into the car, ha !

if you're really crazy, you can also get the tpc turbo kit for the cayman and be pumping out 450hp, exige eat your heart out.

http://www.tpcracing.us/turbos/turbos/cayman_turbo,_available_now.html

:lol: !!

i don't think that's necessarily true. there are douches to be had everywhere, no matter the make of car. i think there are a lot of true car enthusiasts who drive porsches as well, for many it is one of the more attainable sportscars to offer a "pure" driving experience. the new ones are even better now that they include more luxury comforts.

Of course, you're right. Porsche is a top quality brand and they make great cars (minus the Cayenne and Panamera). I still think it's like buying an Audi RS4. They're great, but think about who else owns one. The LGT group is much more diverse and less douchy. I thought the same might apply to Lotus, but I'm probably kidding myself.

Okay back to the discussion ... no Miata. I know Miatas can be made into monsters, but I don't like the looks or the ergonomics very much

Porsche Cayman S, Lotus Elise/Exige, anything else?

Archived