LegacyGT.com

FP Green HTA enroute!

grocery getter

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup I got it cheap and all the tuners I spoke to mentioned that it was fine as long as you get it tuned with the heat shield

No, the WRX SPT intake might be fine but not the LGT SPT intake. I fought for months with my old SPT intake thinking that it was tun-able... solicited mickeyD's help... it is not tunable and somewhat dangerous.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Whats up with the SPT intake? :spin:

The MAF sensor is mounted around some bends. The bends cause some turbulence at various rpms/loads. The turbulence causes MAFv oscillations which causes fueling/timing oscillations. These oscillations can be simply annoying but possibly dangerous.

My '05 LGT

Here is some more info:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107288

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106502

I sold my SPT intake on craigslist... the guy that came to buy it was collegemt and that's how we met. He since re-sold it. Buying that intake is a common mistake.. and it's why it can be had so cheaply and they are always available.

My '05 LGT

Since the COBB is gone, get the AEM. It is cheaper and much more tuneable than the SPT.

You could also do the AVO. It actually will allow you a little more headroom in MAF and now they have a cold air box so that will quiet it and keep it cool...

:spin:

Thanks or the heads up guys, right after all the links to the SPT intake I called up Flatirons (via Cobb) and bought the last SF intake / airbox they had for the Legacy and after a 1 1/2 hour ride from Denver to Boulder back to Denver and a couple hundred dollars less here is the new engine bay (minus the SPT and stock air funnel which is going back on)

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/JaeandNoelle/P4291763.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/JaeandNoelle/P4291764.jpg

Know anyone who wants a brand new SPT intake and heat shield? ;)

Yea... I'm one of those that made the mistake of getting the spt intake... it definately reads very inconsistant mafv..... I think its also what causes my wastegate flutter.... I put on my aem for a day or two and the fluttering went away... but so did the safety of my motor so I put bak on the spt... nick ran 3 logs with my spt... the 1st one surprised us and didn't knock... the next 2 knocked pretty bad.... u would think that a subaru approved aftermarket part would be better designed.... the cobb one u have noe is really nice.... I should of looked into something similiar with a cold air box.... :(

Just got back from tuning the car at Revolutions...after 18 pulls and a HOT TMIC the results are

91 octane map 299.1 hp on 20 psi

E85 map....have to redo because they were unable to get all the fuel out of the car, we ran some pulls but the TMIC was heat soaked and I was running a quarter 91 and E85...so it was more like E55...next time we'll turn the boost to 25 and see what happens!

According to Adam their Dyno dynamics has the following results for:

Stock Legacy GT - 185-187

Stock STI - 215-220

Stage 2 Legacy - 220-225

Stage 2 STI - 240-250

Even with the Cobb SF Intake and APS BOV the car is pretty quiet which means the wife is happy. Now to drive the car 400 miles and break in the turbo!

I'm going to have Adam send me the dyno's so I can post them up later. Here's some pics.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/JaeandNoelle/P5011772.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/JaeandNoelle/P5011767.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/JaeandNoelle/P5011770.jpg

Those are pretty good results considering the altitude.

And dyno. DD seems to be very stingy. It also seems to not load the car enough.... DD graphs always show peak torque late in the rpms. I bet the car feels better on the road.

And dyno. DD seems to be very stingy. It also seems to not load the car enough.... DD graphs always show peak torque late in the rpms. I bet the car feels better on the road.

I agree with you 100% on the DD dyno's that's why I never compare the dyno graphs from two separate dyno's instead I typically use what other cars have put down in power on the dyno I am being tuned on (using the stage 2 STI as my baseline comparison)

Regarding how the Green turbo feels on the street....

Definitely lag when compared to a stock VF40 and even a VF39, the power build is gradual up till around 3900-4000 then BANG the power delivery kicks in and you feel like the car is going from quick to being launched all the way past redline. Don't get me wrong in lower RPM's your still making more power then a stock Legacy could ever make but the torqueiness and power delivery is different. I need to relearn how to drive the car to maximize it's power band.

As a true GT and sleeper sport sedan the Green's are a nice set up for the 2.5, if you really want to push it to it's full potential you need to be on the track or a long stretch of the highway....I would not consider this turbo set a street light to street light racer. Instead this is more a medium to long distance runner (a long road course or 1/4 drag strip would be truely allow this turbo to shine IMO) and if and when you plant your foot (from a roll) you need to make sure no one is in front or else you will run into some problems quickly!!

For me this is a nice compliment to my Jeep SRT8. Where as the Jeep has NO LAG and traction to pretty much slap most cars from stop light to stop light the Legacy's strenght is when you are already rolling or moving. Where's the Jeep 420 lbs of torque is a violent push into the seats the Legacy is more a gradually launch (like when you take off in a commerical plane almost??). In short the set up is exactly want I was looking for even if I am leaving some ponies on the table...at least for now.;)

Now all that is left is to take it to the road course and drag strip and compare the two cars!

^sweet i cant wait to see the time those 2 put up... very interested to see... you said something about the fp green HTA you have flows 54lbs/min right?? and the regular fp green flows 49lbs/min?? how does your car compare to nicks?? ive been in his before and boy.... seriously after that 4000 mark you feel like your getting sucked into the seat... the fp green 2.5 combo is sweet... because after riding in nicks car.... my goal later on is to go with the fp green as well.... but for now i gotta settle with the vf52 which flows 35lbs/min...

I believe the flow rate / lack is about the same as the standard FP Green...Nick drove in it this past weekend and he was surprised how similar the power delivery was. I am thinking maybe the TMIC, 3" inlet housing, TGV deletes and Grimmspeed PnP maifold and cross pipe may have helped with the lag. According to the site it is supose to have about the same spool time but with more potential for power. Of course I can't touch that now with the TMIC but it's there.

well... if i ever see ur car on the road i know not to mess with you :) i cant wait to see those 1/4 mile times... on both your cars... i would think the srt8 is not bad on that top end neither because of their huge motor... probably one of my favorite SUV's... my friend has one and all he did was put lowering springs and the thing looks MEAN... it already looks mean but i guess if you lower any car its gonna look better... IMO... MOST cars at least...

Archived