LegacyGT.com

FP Green HTA enroute!

grocery getter

I didn't know that as you increase core thickness you increase heat soak, makes sense. So when selecting a TMIC for a daily driver ideally you want the one that heat soaks the least, ie largest surface area and thinnest core available?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't know that as you increase core thickness you increase heat soak, makes sense. So when selecting a TMIC for a daily driver ideally you want the one that heat soaks the least, ie largest surface area and thinnest core available?
No, for a daily driver, I wouldn't worry about it at all...

For a drag racing TMIC, you want very little heat soak. For a road racer, you are more concerned w/ pressure drop and flow capacity...

:spin:

No, for a daily driver, I wouldn't worry about it at all...

For a drag racing TMIC, you want very little heat soak. For a road racer, you are more concerned w/ pressure drop and flow capacity...

So in drag racing, or I take it sitting around in rush hour in the summer, would having a thinner TMIC be the only scenarios a thinner core is more beneficial than running a thicker one in terms of heat soak. If you are constantly moving, having a thicker core would always be more beneficial. The next question I have for you ted, is how much cooler like in this case, would the thinner top mount be if everything is the same in terms of length and width only difference is a ½ inch in core thickness.

Thanks^^^

So, for me personally, I don't really push it from light to light. So a little heatsoak in traffic is not a big deal as I am not going to push my car there. I am more likely to do it on a rolling start getting on the freeway, or to pass...

There is truly a balance between making the core thicker so you have more flow volume and less pressure drop, and cooling. If the core is really thick, the air coming in the scoop does not want to go through the passages in the TMIC, so cooling actually gets worse, not better. It is all a balance, and fitment can be more important than any of it :lol:

So in drag racing, or I take it sitting around in rush hour in the summer, would having a thinner TMIC be the only scenarios a thinner core is more beneficial than running a thicker one in terms of heat soak. If you are constantly moving, having a thicker core would always be more beneficial. The next question I have for you ted, is how much cooler like in this case, would the thinner top mount be if everything is the same in terms of length and width only difference is a ½ inch in core thickness.

:spin:

Got the first snag of the build....looks like on the 08+ the air pump assembly needs to be removed all together and blocked using a cosworth bracket to get the APS inlet on. That means no more air pump and more room under the hood (used by Subaru to get more air into the car during start up and help out emissions in the begining....oh well). Outside of that everything is progressing along.

Sorry guys just got back from the Sand dunes and the Leggy is still at SUBA (the cosworth part didn't get to the shop till late Friday night). I plan on picking it up this week and getting it tuned on Friday....stay tuned!

Here are some pics of them buttoning the Leggy up...looks clean like it came from the factory! Once again the guys at SUBA did an excellent job! :) Now for the tune and APS BOV change out on Friday (later next month for the intercooler sprayer and hood splitter mod)

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/JaeandNoelle/P4291758.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/JaeandNoelle/P4291759.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/JaeandNoelle/P4291760.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/JaeandNoelle/P4291761.jpg

Hey Jae, are you good enough friends w/ the guys at Suba performance that they might help one of your friends out at a reduced rate? ;)

I'm going back later today to pick up it up (with my wife) and I'll ask. They are looking into some custom hood splitter work for me as well.

Archived