LegacyGT.com

Oil Consumption issues

The banjo bolt took my dealer "3 hours" to change. I am having some major problems with my car as well. I have an 05 GT with 41,000 miles. I started using Mobil 1 full synthetic around 8,000 miles. I noticed low oil readings on my dipstick around 19,000 miles. I had them start doing consumption tests. It started burning around one quart every 1,340 miles, which is just under their "acceptable" burn rate. A few times I did not even see any oil on my dipstick!! Two months ago it went through 2 quarts in 2,000 miles...excessive if I do say so. After only 1,000 miles on my 2,000 mile consumption test, I took it in due to...no oil on the dipstick! It burned 2 quarts in only 1,000 miles!! But wait. The regional S.O.A. rep says synthetic burns "1.5 to 2 times more than regular oil." I kid you not. My car just burned TWO friggin quarts in 1,000 miles. I don't drive a RX-8. He said the use of "synthetic and my 'aggressive driving habits'" are the problem. Ummm....no! Anybody have any thoughts? I have always changed my oil on time at the dealer. I even called corporate Exxon/Mobil about the reps Mobil 1 claim and they claimed "B.S." Now they switched me back to "regular Subaru oil" and want to restart the consumption test. I am so mad right now. This is ridiculous. Anyone else have these consumption problems with synthetic and any similar S.O.A lame excuses? Thanks.

I'm certainly not an oil expert... I've read some threads on here and did some other research. My last oil change, which I had right at 3750, as SOA recommends... was nearly a quart low. I was using a major syn brand, 5w 30. I switched to the conventional oil that the dealership uses here and did not have any consumption. I have aprox 10 k miles on this engine.

I would switch oil to conventional, subaru reccomended oil, and do a consumption test. I have castrol synthetic in mine and it sometimes burns a half quart in 4000 miles. usually it isn't that much. On the bright side if your car burns that much oil just change the filter every 4000 miles or so. No need to change the oil.

If your the original owner the drive train is covered for 60,000 mile. Keep after them and let them do the oil changes and consumption test.

Have you called SOA and made sure they know. You can go around the dealer.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

All engines use "some" oil, turbo's do use more than a conventional engine would, the more aggressively they are driven, they more they use.

Mobil 1 burns faster than any other synthetic oil

And if the SOA rep is involved...SOA already is involved.

Archived