LegacyGT.com

SPT Chassis Brace

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was very happy with my Cusco braces of similar design for the front. I also have the ones in the rear as well.

Improvement for sure.

jason

What was the one for the rear called? I noticed with this brace that the car doesn't feel balanced as the front is tight but the rear is too loose and for slaloms (sp?) the car tends to get tail happy and I now need a way to tighten the rear end of the car more. Suggestions?

AVO and Cusco have rear braces that should help balance things out. sirsimon has the full Cusco set and recommends the back brace to help tracking control. I'm going to wait until I get my coilovers installed and everything settled in. Then I'll toss it into some test curves to see if I feel like I need the rear braces.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I definitely noticed an improvement with the front and rear Cusco lower braces. The only disconnect now is the extra torsion going through the chassis... It's not that bad, but it would be great if we had a full underbody brace.

The rear lower brace is called the "lower arm bar" IIRC.

Oh and on the front bar, the two plates that come with the bar are not Aluminum. Or, if they are it's the kind of aluminum that rusts. :lol: The entire leading edge of my front bar has lost it's paint, fortunately the aluminum is holding up well.

seriously considering one of these as I get into suspension upgrades. I feel like it makes more sense to make my stage 1 handle better than to worry about stage 2. going fast makes no difference when you cant handle the speed.

I was going to accompany this with perrin sways and endlinks, maybe coilovers.. havent decided yet the scope of what I want to do.

thanks for the thread. This post is kinda like a bookmark. ;)

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Wish a lot more performance parts were this cheap, $177. with shipping. That's like pocket change...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

HAHA,

I figure it's not much money for something I'll feel every time I turn the steering wheel.

I would like to do the UP DP but just can't see spending all that money. If they were under $200 I'm sure a lot more people would buy them.

Have to many other things that suck up cash, ie, I need a new boiler for the house.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I want to do UP/DP as well but if I go stage 2 I need a tranny cooler and an ipt shift kit so it'd be the cost of the UP/DP plus roughly $1000 and installation of the shift kit (cos I'd be afraid to do that myself.) just for 40 more hp... and STILL even wit hthe kit if I romped on it (which I know I would) I may still damage my 5eat.. so..

handling > more performance for now.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• 1 year later...

"Beware of clearance on 5EAT's. Wouldn't recommend until after springs, struts, sways. Kind of like the finishing touch on your suspension."

"m prank" said in your review, any idea? I have 5eat lower springs and jdm rear bar, will it cause any clearance issue?

• 3 months later...

To wake a dead thread to answer the question above. I have a 5EAT with stock ride height and had to flatten the bar under the diff. It was rubbing, making noises and rubbed the "air to oil" cooling fins off.

So clearance can be a problem for those not willing to "adjust" the bar.

Hope that answered your question boymk123.

**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

• 8 months later...
everything SPT is worth the money

Wrong. Their intake for my spec b was pure junk. Had to dump slot of fuel to make it work even then it did terrible. Took it off and put the stock on and tuning was a breeze.

I would agree with you on the brace but the intake was a sad mistake.

My 05 has the front and rear AVO's. I should have just done sway bars.

They help on turn in and transition through S type turns.

did any of you guys notice a vibration at all???? bcuz i think mine is too close to my transmission and i think there is a vibration bcuz of that

If you have an auto you will unless you flaten it out by the diff. (It rubs.)

**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

• 3 months later...
I have a 5EAT with stock ride height and had to flatten the bar under the diff. It was rubbing, making noises and rubbed the "air to oil" cooling fins off.

So clearance can be a problem for those not willing to "adjust" the bar.

This (and M Spark's problem) are only with the SPT brace, right?

Has anybody experienced problems with the AVO bar and the 5EAT?

As dumb as it sounds I had to pull down on the bar while I tighened the bolts to get it to not hit. Even then a paperclip wouldnt fit between it. Only noticed a little difference in it. I do have coils, sways, endlinks, and other bracing tho. The steering seemed a little sharper.

As dumb as it sounds I had to pull down on the bar while I tighened the bolts to get it to not hit. Even then a paperclip wouldnt fit between it.

Is this the SPT brace or the AVO brace?

I hadn't seen any reports that the AVO contacts the 5EAT...

Only noticed a little difference in it. I do have coils, sways, endlinks, and other bracing tho. The steering seemed a little sharper.

This was my next question...

I have a stock Outback, and I was hoping to tighten up the steering feel...

I wonder if I'm going to notice ANY difference with the brace when the rest of the chassis/suspension is bone stock?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived