LegacyGT.com

Tuners traveling for a protune...

monkonmonk

Hey guys, I have been looking into getting a protune for my Stg 2. But, in C-bus there don't seem to be many choices that are close and well respected here on the forums. So, I have heard that some places do some traveling and before I drive to Mach V or P&L, or all the way to PDX. I was wondering if there was any info on tuners travleing to or near OHIO anytime soon.

Thanks for the help.

Jason

I don't know. I guess there is some comfort in knowing where my car would stand performance wise. Also, the whole logging thing and all that is quite new to me as well.

Similar to PDX e-tuning?

Do you have any more info?...I guess I could search, scratch that question.

Jason

thanks for the link kev, but I think there is some fear of not using the accessport, besides the fact I don't own a laptop or tatrix/tactrix cable. The AP is quite intuitive and seems like a good option.

Anyone want to contend for the open source? Thanks again for the info.

I use the AP. Im slowly getting into the OS though. But just wait a bunch of people will vouch for OS. And Yes you could fry your ecu using the ap but how many people use them and don’t fry them? Make sure your battery is charged and leave all your accessories off and your golden.

the reason I suggested Infamous is he has treated me very well, I was very new to this stuff. He has helped me, as have others on this board and now I'm up and logging and flashing.

I went the cheap route and bought the $20 Vag_Com cable off ebay, and that created some headaches for me. If you invest the money in a Tactrix Cable I'm told it much more seamless.

Infamous then analyzes your logs and sends you an updated tune to further custom tailor your tune to your car. He does this several times to make sure its right.

Here is a link from his thread http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103997

I am not affiliated with him I'm just a happy customer

I guess i would be interested in OS. The tuning thing is quite interesting to me and I feel as though I would be computer literate enough to understand what I am doing as opposed to just going through the motions.

But, the OS thing is a bit intimidating.

I use the AP. Im slowly getting into the OS though. But just wait a bunch of people will vouch for OS. And Yes you could fry your ecu using the ap but how many people use them and don’t fry them? Make sure your battery is charged and leave all your accessories off and your golden.

I'm very curious on this talk about the AP frying ECU's?

As goes for any ECU reflash tool if you interrupt the signal while flashing your ECU you could possibly brick your ECU. We have reversed engineered the ECU's (we support w/AP's) and we're able to recover failed flashes and force a stock rom on the ECU.

The V1 AP doesn't have the built in recovery mode like the V2's. In the event of a failed flash, the V2 AP will recover itself and flash the vehicle back to a previous state and also from saving you the hassle to send us your ECU.

To the OP- John Shafer here at Cobb does E-Tunes if you're interested in something like that. He also does fly out for tunes at the customers expense; although you don't see many Subaru owners doing this unless it's for a big group tune to make it worth while.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers.

As goes for any ECU reflash tool if you interrupt the signal while flashing your ECU you could possibly brick your ECU. We have reversed engineered the ECU's (we support w/AP's) and we're able to recover failed flashes and force a stock rom on the ECU.

The V1 AP doesn't have the built in recovery mode like the V2's. In the event of a failed flash, the V2 AP will recover itself and flash the vehicle back to a previous state and also from saving you the hassle to send us your ECU.

To the OP- John Shafer here at Cobb does E-Tunes if you're interested in something like that. He also does fly out for tunes at the customers expense; although you don't see many Subaru owners doing this unless it's for a big group tune to make it worth while.

Cheers.

I was V1 and it was I sign I needed to step away from my current tune anyways.

Cheers.

I was getting at its pretty hard to mess up when flashing with the ap...And its good to know the V2 can recover itself...

I agree with all the positives with the AP, which I have. But, this OS thing is quite intriguing. What are the real advantages? There are so many opinions and threads out that that say it is good and bad.

I think that the e-tune is going to be the way to go. Now it comes down to I think PDX or infamous1.

Jason

For me, the decision to use the AP was 1) lack of knowledge of tuning in general and 2) A few tuners around here told me that they wouldn't tune open source, they only do AP tunes for Legacies. Sorta weird I guess, but thats how it is.

I agree with all the positives with the AP, which I have. But, this OS thing is quite intriguing. What are the real advantages? There are so many opinions and threads out that that say it is good and bad.

I think that the e-tune is going to be the way to go. Now it comes down to I think PDX or infamous1.

Jason

Pretty sure Infamous doesnt due tunes for the ap correct me if im wrong. PDX OR TA (tuning alliances) would be your options. TA is cheaper and thats what im run...

yeah I think infamous is OS only.

PDX you get all the AP maps (valet, economy, etc) and you log and send back to fine tune it, but more expensive

TA you get your main map and you log to send back to fine tune it, but less expensive. for a map upgrade (adding new parts) the TA upgrade is only $25....I just did that, going from stage 1 to stage 2 this weekend and needed an updated map.

That being said, I'm going opensource when I do my protune next week.

Infamous1, do you have a response for the ability of the AP to save a failed download. I guess I don't fully understand for the OS, is it possible to save to the ECU if it failed the first time. What are it;s limitations?

The way I prevent from any failed OS flashes is to test write the ecu first. By doing this the rom image is first loaded to the ram to make sure everything is compatible. Then you can flashed to the ECU without worries. In the event there is a problem ecuflash will make your aware and it will attempt to re-write once again. I have flashed my own vehicle probaly close to 200 times without any sort of trouble. In all the cars I have tuned I have only had an error message pop up once, in which at that point I just followed the software instructions without trouble. I have never had a "bricked" ECU.

Archived