LegacyGT.com

How do you all warm up your cars fastest?

For all of you who let the car idle go back finish your coffee or breakfast shake....how do you prevent someone else from driving off with your car?

I'm always scared some high schooler is going to walk by early in the morning see my nice warm car warming up in the garage and think "that would sure beat walking to school in the middle of winter" ...then I'll come out and my car will not be warm..but "HOT"

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with all those who say to get in, start up and wait about 30-60 sec for the oil pressure to stabilize. If you keep the engine RPM low, you'll be fine and allow the transmission to warm up. Remember, the tranny will warm up significantly slower; most of its temperature increase is due to heat transfer from the engine. If you just sit there, you'll take that much longer to warm up the transmission. I usually go easy until I notice the transmission "lag" is gone. You'll see this when you're driving cold at moderate speed, and you release the throttle, the engine speed drops quickly. Once warmed up, this doesn't happen.

If you go easy all the time and never hit the gas very hard I find that it saves even more gas.... and doesn't overheat the car very easily....just stay under 3k rpms

with my old legacy i used to wait until the temp gauge showed it was warmed up. Now with my new one i let it run for 15-30 seconds than drive keeping the RPMs low. Once my oil temp gauge shows that the oils completely warmed up is when i don't worry about keeping the RPMs low any more

Archived