LegacyGT.com

How do you all warm up your cars fastest?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
I travel quite frequently, when travelling this is how I warm up my rental car:

Get in

Start car

Exit Hotel Lot

Get on highway

Select appropraite gear on automatic that maintains 5-6,000 RPM at highway cruise speed

Drive this way until heat comes on

Always wonder about people who buy used rentals.

My Own car.

30 seconds at idle

Drive slow, no larget throttle openings, boost, etc

Let the ACC do it's thing with the heat

:icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg I thought I was the only a-hole that warmed up a rental car this way!!!:icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg

Do you put "welfare gas" (the schitty 'sub-regular' 85 octane lawnmower gas at Sunoco in the midwest) in them when you are returning them too?

While on the subject... do you change the oil in lease vehicles with any regularity? I thought I was bad letting the wife's lease vehicle go 5000 to 6000 between changes. A dude I work with.... he changed the oil TWICE in a 36 month, 45K mile lease. TWICE.

Don't buy an "off-lease" car either... unless you feel damn lucky.

Lease=rental, but to a single individual. Hope that individual was a nice lessee!

I let it idle for 30 seconds or so and drive off slowly. That way the drive gear warms up at the same rate as well. Even whem the water temp is up the engine oil is still usually pretty cold (based on cars I owned with oil temp guages), so I figure the differentials and trans are as well. I usually put on the headlights for the slight additional load.

I had a block heater on one of our 97's, but didn't have a place to plug it in. I'm a big fan of them, though.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I usually stop by the local carwash and open the hood and spray with the high pressure washer to warm the engine....has that not been a good idea?

No problem, just be sure not to get soap on the intercooler. That'll cost ya like 5whp every time, and it adds up.

So I see we all have different routines. Hmmm lets see....If I wake up at 8:00 I'll start my car at about 8:15, get back into the house and do all that morning stuff then get into car and leave. My car is usually idling in the morning for about a 1/2 hour. I have to make sure my car is super warm and cozy :)

what gets hot? is it supposed to be plugged into something on the other end? is there a specific hole or something on the block?

Typically the heating element is installed somewhere in the water jacket, so it's warming the coolant which warms the block. There will usually be a threaded plug you replace with the heater.

Can you install a remote starter on a manual trans?

I'd recomend a block heater. It won't be fully warm, but it will certainly cut warm-up time to a minimum.

Yes, they do make manual transmission remote starters, however they are a little bit of a pain to use, you need to do a certian sequence each time before exitting the vehicle to make sure its ready to start.

You could also install a Automatic Transmisison starter in a manual but that requires bypassing the clutch swith(to make the car think its pressed down) and never parking it with the gear and starting it(if you do start it with it in gear your car will move etc, well I am sure you know what could happen) - Not exactly a safe way of doing it this way.

Hope this helps.

When I strt mine the car revs up to 100-150 rpm and holds it there--after it has warmed the rpm need dropps slowly---this usually takes about 5 minutes---I then move the car and keep in under 4K for a couple of miles with stop lights then on the highway--the car sure does shift alot smoother when its warm.

Stumble outside at 4:45. Start car. Sit with eyes closed and rest for 3 minutes. Hope I don't drift off to the "forever sleep" from all the fumes accumulating in my garage from my gutted car. Open garage and drive off.
I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Typically the heating element is installed somewhere in the water jacket, so it's warming the coolant which warms the block. There will usually be a threaded plug you replace with the heater.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was a reasonable question...

Archived