LegacyGT.com

How do you all warm up your cars fastest?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was going to put in a block heater even though the car will be garaged. I just don't feel like driving like a granny for half my commute. Seems that nobody has numbers on how fast it is, but I'll try with a timer for an hour before I go to work, and see how much faster the car gets warm.

My normal comute lends itself nicely to the initial gentle driving. From home it's a half mile of residential streets within the subdivision, then 4-lane with speed limits of 30-40 (most everybody's doing 40-45). It's a good 6-7 miles before 45-50 mph road. On the way home it's starts with about a mile of road posted at 25 mph (everybody does 40-45), then it's 55 mph 2-lane.

My commute starts with me pulling out onto a busy 5 lane road. I'm sure I piss off the guy behind me that wants to pull out too as I wait for a large enough gap that I can get up to speed slowly.

remote starter or engine warmer?

agreed, +1 on the remote starter

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Quick question. I got my LGT in teh summer and I'm new to a manual transmission. I've noticed the last couple of mornings (frost on the car/ground) that it is really hard to make the shift from 1st to 2nd the first time. After that it seems to loosen up.

I have a kartboy shortthrow installed. Could the front bushings be too tight? Or is this normal for a MT and I just need to warm the car up longer? Cycle through the gears one time before leaving?

It's normal. The oil in a MT is pretty thick and it takes a bit to warm up. STI's are notorious for being hard shifters when first starting in the dead of winter.

I travel quite frequently, when travelling this is how I warm up my rental car:

Get in

Start car

Exit Hotel Lot

Get on highway

Select appropraite gear on automatic that maintains 5-6,000 RPM at highway cruise speed

Drive this way until heat comes on

Always wonder about people who buy used rentals.

My Own car.

30 seconds at idle

Drive slow, no larget throttle openings, boost, etc

Let the ACC do it's thing with the heat

Stephy,

Don't recall there being anything to add to the oil per se. Perhaps you're referring to the coolant additive (sealant) that Subaru recommends for every coolant change out...

Now that the weather has turned cooler, I will likely drop back down to SAE 5-30W. Really not required here in SoCal but since I head up to the mountains regularly, especially in the snow, I'll want to be ready.

Now that I've had the LGT for about 10 months, I find that doing a 10-20 second startup, followed by an easy 2-3 minutes of ~3K or less on the tacho and the car is good to go temp-wise.

legandrex - stopping by the local carwash to HPW the engine so it warms up faster... that's a new one to me. :icon_neut ... not sure you're serious, but can't say that I'd do that.

Vahkill - The tranny will be a bit stiff. Recommend you cycle up through the gears 1st to 2nd and possibly 3rd and then back again and give it a few side-to-side movements in the neutral gate, BEFORE you start the engine. Should limber up easily. I doubt it's your shifter bushing being too tight. It's probably more a function of the reduced leverage from your KB STS.

You probably wouldn't notice the stiffness as much if you had the extra leverage of the standard shifter, unless it's really cold (sitting overnight in sub-freezing temps) and then almost any tranny is going to be hard to shift. Also, give the tranny a little longer in the colder weather to warm up, and it'll be all be good.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I won't dignify that with a response. :icon_evil:icon_frow

Oh No3s!!!111!! s0ap.......nope, I don't have the heart to do it.

How do I warm up the car? Friction, if you know what I mean.http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aetsch/cheeky-smiley-031.gif

You guys and your fancy startup sequences... I start my car, let it run long enough to assume that some oil is circulated and then I drive. If it gets below 20F I'll plug it in overnight. Currently it's 29F in Anchorage--still warm.

YOU ROCK!! Thanks for the message. After I got home yesterday and was telling the hubby how I asked about what I need to add in the oil....he was like your a dumb ass. You dont put anything in the oil...we were cracking up for like 5 minutes *lol*

Stephy,

Don't recall there being anything to add to the oil per se. Perhaps you're referring to the coolant additive (sealant) that Subaru recommends for every coolant change out...

Now that the weather has turned cooler, I will likely drop back down to SAE 5-30W. Really not required here in SoCal but since I head up to the mountains regularly, especially in the snow, I'll want to be ready.

Now that I've had the LGT for about 10 months, I find that doing a 10-20 second startup, followed by an easy 2-3 minutes of ~3K or less on the tacho and the car is good to go temp-wise.

legandrex - stopping by the local carwash to HPW the engine so it warms up faster... that's a new one to me. :icon_neut ... not sure you're serious, but can't say that I'd do that.

Vahkill - The tranny will be a bit stiff. Recommend you cycle up through the gears 1st to 2nd and possibly 3rd and then back again and give it a few side-to-side movements in the neutral gate, BEFORE you start the engine. Should limber up easily. I doubt it's your shifter bushing being too tight. It's probably more a function of the reduced leverage from your KB STS.

You probably wouldn't notice the stiffness as much if you had the extra leverage of the standard shifter, unless it's really cold (sitting overnight in sub-freezing temps) and then almost any tranny is going to be hard to shift. Also, give the tranny a little longer in the colder weather to warm up, and it'll be all be good.

SBT

Insulated garage - never freezes = ingition on, put in gear, drive

I can beat that. I have a heated garage. I still give it a minute though. It is really weird getting in your car without a need for a coat and it is sub zero outside when you arrive at your destination and get out! Talk about a shock to the system!

Archived