LegacyGT.com

ACT Street Disk slipping

wsmith30132

So I have a SB5-HDMM with a LWFW installed. I have had it on for about 10k. Honestly, Ive probally launched it 3 times and only slipped it a little to much from 2nd to 3rd a couple times. I brake in gear and dont downshift through the gears. Well twice now i have noticed a little slip in 5th gear. It doesnt do it all the time just when cold and only twice. Is it possible it is just glazed from stop and go traffic and needs to be heated up to re-surface it? Thanks

Wow...... Stage 2.5+ and you are slipping the HDMM?

What kind of Torque number you have on your car?

I was thinking about the same setup and now kinda worried its not gonna do justice.

I would imagine if you are putting down +350wtq you might be getting close to overwhelming the clutch. IIRC, it's rated to ~420 crank torque...at 350wtq, you'd basically be meeting it's ratings and clutches are supposed to be rated to over what they are taking on a daily basis.

Just my thoughts when I read your post...

Yea I was strict with the break in procedure. I dynoed at 300wtq and 340wtq with meth. Funny thing is though that im not running my meth right now because of my issue with it. It has only done it 2 or 3 times. I was hopeing that it has become a little glazed and just needs to be heated up. On ACT's website they say it is organic. Unabombers clutch quide states that you can reheat a kevlar clutch to resurface them but organic returs to normal. Any experience?

I can't see why not an aftermarket clutch can't hold 300 WTQ...

I'm sure if it was a stock clutch, it would start slipping around that number but..

Either way, I would hop on the bandwagon with you to hear what others have to say.

Clutches don't heal.:mad::icon_sad:

Either the clutch is toast from stop and go driving or you have a leaking rear main seal.:eek:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Interesting. I've been making a decent amount of power for the past 12k miles and am still on the stock clutch.

What exactly are the SB5-HDMM and LWFW?

And as an aside, I used ACT 2600 clutches in my DSMs. They were darn near bulletproof parts.

Clutches don't heal.:mad::icon_sad:

Either the clutch is toast from stop and go driving or you have a leaking rear main seal.:eek:

leaking rear main seal?? that also causes clutch slippage?? i too am having issues with what i think is clutch slipping but not too sure... someone told me it might be my flywheel?? im not usin the ACT.. mines the exedy stg2... and yes i kno i shoulda went ACT.....

What exactly are the SB5-HDMM and LWFW?

Check out the ACT website, the info is there. http://www.advancedclutch.com/

SB5 is the model

HD = heavy duty pressure plate

MM = modified street disk

LWFW = light wt flywheel (I like the WRX flywheel as it's slightly lighter than LGT but not as light as th LWFW which causes chatter for some folks (some like though))

leaking rear main seal?? that also causes clutch slippage?? i too am having issues with what i think is clutch slipping but not too sure... someone told me it might be my flywheel?? im not usin the ACT.. mines the exedy stg2... and yes i kno i shoulda went ACT.....

Oil from the leak can get onto clutch disk.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived