LegacyGT.com

How to Clean Under the Hood?

I usually cover up anything electrical with plastic bags and use a trickling hose with some engine degreaser/ engine bay cleaner. Make sure to leave the hood open and let it dry for a while.

As long as you have a careful hand and a very low pressure hose you're pretty much all set. I also like to armor all the plastics and such after the engine bay dries.

I've heard good things about the CD2 Engine detailer. It's meant to be used after a degreaser.

Drive the car in a heavy rain storm, fast.

Who cares open the hood at the local car wash and spray the crap out of the engine bay. I do this with the engine running and be careful to keep water out of the intake. It's pretty simple to do.

I'm also the guy that hasn't washed the car since early last Nov. It rained today on the drive home so it got washed. Headed back to VT tomorrow for more mud season.

It should be raining Sunday on the drive home, could be a 2 hour car wash...lol

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^ That's why both of my cars are rust buckets. The previous owners never really washed them. So all of the salt had a field day on the sheet metal of the car.

I just got done detailing a Prius. Probably the easiest engine bay I've ever cleaned. :lol:

^ I'll let you know in a few years if this thing turns into a rust bucket. After 3 tranny rebuilds, I'm planning on keeping it for a few more years. How dumb is that...it does run good, I like the style and the AWD.

I'm not all bad, I do wash it often in the spring and summer and really try to get up under the car in the spring.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well it took about 6 years to become rusty on one of my cars and about 11 years on the other. But if the previous owners washed the car more frequently and knew what an underbody car wash was then I'm fairly sure both would be in great shape right now.

How did you go through 3 tranny rebuilds? That's pretty ridiculous. The reason I bought a legacy was because of the styling and the AWD too. And once you get the kinks worked out they're pretty reliable. It deals with my abuse anyway.

Warm the engine up a little, spray a weak ratio of simple green everywhere, let it sit, spray more then use little brushes to loosen up the clumps. Then rinse and let the engine get hot and dry the remaining water.

Dont go nuts when spraying the engine down and hit the elctrical stuff. A little water wont do anything but dont get two inches away from your fuse box with the hose and spray for 45 seconds. Common sense will be more than enough.

^ What do you think happens when it rains and you drive down the road?

Anyone know a way to clean the heatsheild foam thingy pinned to the underside of the hood? Can that thing just be ripped out? I'm thinking paint on the hood might suffer from the heat of the engine.

Its ok to get some water on the intercooler?

No it will melt and void your entire powertrain. Subaru sells tmic rain guards for that reason!

Yeah water on the outside of it should be cool.

^ What do you think happens when it rains and you drive down the road?

Anyone know a way to clean the heatsheild foam thingy pinned to the underside of the hood? Can that thing just be ripped out? I'm thinking paint on the hood might suffer from the heat of the engine.

I degresed and sprayed the hell out of it. From previous cars no cover made it a b to clean the car if warm cause the soap would dry at an accelerated rate.

Archived