LegacyGT.com

2005 Acura RL with SH-AWD: perfection?

it's not clear to me that a FWD-based and derived car then post-engineered to have AWD is "perfection". it's one way to achieve the benefits of AWD, but perfection would be a car with AWD integrated into the design a priori, in lockstep with the chassis designers. it means that weight is usually lower and the design is simpler which also usually means lighter. electronic-brake differential systems as are now found in bmw, audi quattro (no longer mechanical LSDs), porsche (carrera 4s), vw, volvo and now acura are effective but far from perfection. if they were, it would be found in rally cars. racing always finds the most parsimonious and effective answer.

What really gets me is the disposable nature of a lot of the new drivetrain technology. When it breaks, replace it. Cars aren't under warranty forever, and that gets damn expensive. I am not sure about the SH-AWD system's longevity, or repairability, but usually electronics are a replace-only prospect. Mechanical systems tend to be more robust and repairable if designed and built well, than an electro-mechanical system, or all electrical system. Do the SH-AWD's electronically controlled clutches wear out? Perhaps I am wrong, but I have had to replace more electrical components on my cars than mechanical, by a pretty good margin. I have to wholeheartedly agree with lemming about AWD being "designed-in" rather than added to a pre-existing 2wd drivetrain seems like the way to go. That is why I don't view the Ford/Mazda/Volvo/Jag Xtype/VW/and on and on Haldex system as an equal competitor to Subaru's symmetric AWD. Sure it helps, but not all AWD is created equal. I am sure it can be made to work well, but using clutches, or yet brakes to control AWD drivetrain management seems overly complex to me, and combining separate systems. It seems overly complex when spider gears and planetary gears can be used to have the drivetrain manage itself using it's own torque, and leave the brakes to slow the car, and have only one pedal-activated clutch to eventually replace. It is interesting that the WRC cars use 3 active diffs. Good info to know. On a street car, I would think 3 torque sensing diffs (no real huge need to manage or worry about adjusting diffs manually for the street) that are "automatic" for the torque split, and not slip-based, for the most part seem like the best choice for a car like the Legacy, if cost is not considered. I am sure the Viscous center and rear LSDs are not too shabby, either.

[quote name='lemming']it's not clear to me that a FWD-based and derived car then post-engineered to have AWD is "perfection". it's one way to achieve the benefits of AWD, but perfection would be a car with AWD integrated into the design a priori, in lockstep with the chassis designers. it means that weight is usually lower and the design is simpler which also usually means lighter. electronic-brake differential systems as are now found in bmw, audi quattro (no longer mechanical LSDs), porsche (carrera 4s), vw, volvo and now acura are effective but far from perfection. if they were, it would be found in rally cars. racing always finds the most parsimonious and effective answer.[/QUOTE] AFAIK Audi still uses Torsen diffs for their Quattro and a clutch system for Haldex systems. The center diffs however are now electronic.

[quote name='RobY']If im not mistaken the quattro just consists of a center torsen and front and rear "electronic" brakeforce diffs. Quattro isnt what it used to be. In fact it quite handily crappied itself out due to cost cutting.[/QUOTE] [url]http://www.audiusa.com/lexicon/0,0,categoryId-4_,00.html#146[/url] [url]http://www.audiusa.com/quattro/0,,status-P_countrycode-1_usageId-83_,00.html[/url]

Archived