LegacyGT.com

So I guess my wagon isnt a sleeper

demo243

I was driving home from school today (University of Rhode Island) heading into CT and not 2 or 3 exits into CT got pulled over by a state trooper. Right around exit 91 or so coming down the big hill there on 95 south. Mind you I was going a bit fast but wasn't blowing by traffic or anything. He started pulling out before I even got to him so I thought he was going to get the people in front of me, until he waved me over. Long story short heads up if your going down that hill they may be there and you may end up with a $300 ticket. I'm gonna fight it but its a hassle. any hints on fighting it would be appreciated, as it is my first speeding ticket. And I know we all think our legacy's are sleepers but I guess my bone stock SWP wagon wasn't enough.

request to see the printout of the speed he clocked you at...Did he show it to you when he pulled you over? I'm guessing he got you via Lidar? Ask for calibration records for whatever device they used...

My .02... I've had my share of tickets lately so I've been taking it easy. GL with the appeal.

You are licensed in CT? RI has the "good driver rule". One freebie every three years as long as it wasn't more than 15mph over. Just go to court, plead guilty with consideration of your good driving record and "poof", tickets gone.

Good luck.

Find a ticket svc. You can find them on the internets. It will be a fee. No points or court costs. Also, I bot a V1 last year. If you can swing it, buy one. Another for a perma mount and hardwire kit and you're off to the races.
Rehab is for quitters.

well the spring is here and so are cops at their speed traps. Good luck with appeal and remember that sleeper goes fast very easy (ask me how I know...)

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Good luck with the ticket. I know it is hard to keep it under 85 mph on 91. Four lanes, usually no traffic depending on the time of day and no state troopers in sight.
I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Go to court and fight it. ALWAYS plead NOT GUILTY. If anything, you'll end up with a much reduced fine. Just pay it if you want to plead guilty.

That's not even good advice in Minneapolis.

Always go to court, but the best offer may be made before you plead.

request to see the printout of the speed he clocked you at...Did he show it to you when he pulled you over?

They don't have to show you the reading in any state I know of. Hell, half the time, the radar device is built into the car so the display is only in the front seat, no one is getting in there.

And anyhow, you're never going to win a fight on the cop lied about the speed. The cop has no reason to lie about the speed he read, getting a speeder is shooting fish in a barrel. What they may lie about (or more likely) omit is errors that can lead to reading the wrong speed. Human error is the issue here.

Oh and read the damn statute. Find out what the state must prove. Do they need calibration records, do they need certain surveys on the road, do they have rules about unmarked cars (if it applies), etc.

If you get an offer that keeps it off your record and you're guilty, take the deal. In every city i've worke din, that is the last time you'll get that offer. They give you a good offer to avoid everything, not so you can plead right before trial (though this offer may be made only at trial if the calender looks to long).

The key here is to preserve your record. A cleaner record will help you keep a clean record.

I already sent it in not guilty. its not so much the fine, i mean three hundred sucks, but its really the ticket and my insurance that sucks, cause thats gonna jack my insurance rate up. im hoping the prosecutor will just ask if ill plead guilty to a seatbelt violation and ill just pay the court costs and fine for that, but well see.

yea it is definitely a fast sleeper

i have a beltronics 955 but it didnt even go off and then twenty miles down the road it flipped out on laser for the next trooper on the side of the road, so who knows, i cant really go to court and say well my radar didnt go off so how did he get me.

I already sent it in not guilty. its not so much the fine, i mean three hundred sucks, but its really the ticket and my insurance that sucks, cause thats gonna jack my insurance rate up. im hoping the prosecutor will just ask if ill plead guilty to a seatbelt violation and ill just pay the court costs and fine for that, but well see.

i have a beltronics 955 but it didnt even go off and then twenty miles down the road it flipped out on laser for the next trooper on the side of the road, so who knows, i cant really go to court and say well my radar didnt go off so how did he get me.

You got a no seatbelt ticket too? You'd be eating that speeding ticket then if I were prosecuting you. Wear your damn seatbelt, my insurance rates are high enough. I'd be dismissing the seatbelt to plead to the speed. Why? Because that way your rates go up to compensate for when you eventually have a serious injury. (I normally look for ways to avoid insurance charges and fees because many speeds are BS)

As for the radar detector:

a: cops have no reason to lie about, if it was a radar/laser ticket, your detector is likely faulty or he aimed it at your plate

b: aircraft ticket

1) any car goes really fast(the difference is how long it takes to get there), so don't ever think you are immune to tickets.

2) how fast where you going for a $300 speeding ticket?

1) any car goes really fast(the difference is how long it takes to get there), so don't ever think you are immune to tickets.

2) how fast where you going for a $300 speeding ticket?

Well, my guess is he has a speed and a seatbelt ticket, making ~$300 pretty easy.

In some parts of the states $200+ speeding alone is pretty common as well.

no no no, i only got a speeding ticket. i had my seat belt on. but from what i understand alot of times when you take the ticket to court, the prosecuter will ask if you will plead guilty to a seatbelt violation or some other similar violation, to make there life easier, and then you get a break too as you no longer have a speeding ticket, just a seat belt violation.

Hmm. Sounds like wishful thinking. In NJ, seatbelt violation is alot smaller of a ticket than a speeding. At best in NJ, you can plead down to the next slowest form of your speeding ticket. (i.e 14 over becomes 9 over) Maybe some other people have gotten better deals than that, but I sure as hell haven't met them.

I thought radar detectors were illegal in CT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

well im hoping, well see how it goes. and im pretty sure radar detectors are only illegal in washington dc and virginia

you are correct

(and us military bases)

i thought Pennsylvania too?

read over your ticket carefully. did he misspell your name, street name, write down the wrong license number? any foul up can lead to the judge throwing it out. if he can't spell your name right then who's to say he can clock your speed right and then write it down properly?

good luck.

I95 = Indy500 in CT.

Police love to hang near state lines to catch out-of-state motorists (less likely to come to court, so most just pay ticket...state makes $$$).

1st violation - good that you plead not guilty. When you get your court date, show up early...be patient...When prosecutor calls you up, they will generally give you a deal.

If they give you the chance to speak, offer to make a donation to the "Victims Relief Fund." If you say that, they have a tendancy to throw out the ticket and you will have to cut a check to charity (tax write-off).

Otherwise, take the deal.

Good luck!

//Marcus

the cops are out like crazy this year. damn governor has the road flooded with them to stop speeders. ive always pleaded not guilty and had my charges dropped in half. there are no points in CT just drivers retraining class

Archived