LegacyGT.com

How bad is this for my new Legacy?

OP - The only thing I'd worry about is:

- Don't be hard on your clutch...it's a friction surface that is breaking in. It's more prone to glazing when it's very early in it's life.

- Don't be hard on your brakes...it's a friction surface that is breaking in.

- Vary your speed a bit

- Don't let your friends convince you to do something excessively stupid with your new car.

Frankly, I'd be more worried about what one of my stupid friends would do to my new car.

It's pretty hard to screw up break-in. That's why most people who buy cars still have their original parts after 60,000 miles :)

Joe

- Don't be hard on your brakes...it's a friction surface that is breaking in.

They told me that when I bought my car, but everything I see about installing new pads or rotors (or both) says you want to be hard on them...in a controlled fashion for bedding-in purposes... I followed Hawk's procedure (6-10 moderate stops from 35mph, 3 hard stops from 45mph, 15 min cool down) for my HPS pads and StopTech rotors, and they're just fine...

re: the OP's engine question (which I suppose is now moot since you went anyway) - I say it'll be fine as long as you vary speed/revs during the trip. I went on a similar-distance trip with about 500 miles on my car. I varied my speed on the highway, and moved between 4th and 5th gear to keep some variation in the revs.

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Yet another case of valid question, then a dogpile of sarcastic responses. sigh....

At least you got a few honest answers from those who don't know "everything about everything"...

Enjoy your new car.

I picked up a 09 SE DGM two weeks ago and have been taking it easy. But my wife drove it for the first time last weekend with 500 miles on it. She didn't quite get the gear shift and drove down the street holding it first gear. Fortunately, she stopped since the car "was a bit loud" and figured out how to put the car in drive. Yes, she is blond.

aas far as the "Beak them in hard" thing...

I agree for track cars... I used to be on a Supermodified racing team (Fuel Injected Chevy 454 bored over to 468 N/A 830 horsepower). when we got our new motor we broke it in by taking some easy laps letting the engine get warm, then a few more easy laps (<6500 RPM). We did this for the practices and the qualifiers then by the time the race rolled around we could really crank that sucker. That's a track motor though, for a new car I'd say you want to break it in easier... track engines get tons of maintanence and frequent fluid changes. They get torn down at least once a season and have high wear parts replaced all the time... Street cars don' have that same luxury... Spark plugs need to last a looong time, as do fuel injectors and even internal engine parts. I'd say keep it under 5K RPM's as much as possible, vary your speed, and do an oil change with a new filter AS SOON AS YOU GET BACK from your trip. Don't delay, that new car is an investment as well as a toy. ;)

Vary the speed, don't use cruise control, you should be ok. Check the oil when you return.

It's an '09? Nice to have a new car, eh!

I would say to check the oil even more often initially so you don't get an unpleasant surprise. A bottle of extra oil as a precaution is never wrong.

453747.png

Driving a car is about the worst thing you can do to it. It puts wear on the engine, breaks, wears out the tires, greatly depreciates it.

I'm sticking to the zip lock baggy storage in a dark room. Maybe in 80 years you will be able to sell it for more than you paid.

Driving a car is about the worst thing you can do to it. It puts wear on the engine, breaks, wears out the tires, greatly depreciates it.

I'm sticking to the zip lock baggy storage in a dark room. Maybe in 80 years you will be able to sell it for more than you paid.

Brakes.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived