LegacyGT.com

How bad is this for my new Legacy?

I'm thinking of going on a trip, that is 223 miles each way. My legacy is less than a week old and has 250 miles on it. I would be carrying 4 friends and do it non stop, but am not sure if i want to drive since the car is brand new, so how bad is it?

Vary your speed constantly so you aren't humming along the highway at the same speed / RPMs for hours at a time.

Or tell one of your friends that they will be driving their car on this trip.

Did you buy it to leave in the garage or drive?

Just use common sense and drive the damn thing.

O.

Stop making sense!!! A car is a thing to worry about, not a transportation device and the notion of actually DRIVING a NEW car is absurd; That's why my Legacy is in a large ziplock bag i my garage, so it can stay safe :lol:

Drive the car and enjoy it.

The first 1000 miles of my previous Civic's life was a cross country drive on cruise control set a 70mph loaded a bit.

I drove it 225k miles/9yrs without a single engine repair and by 225k it was using 1qt/3500 miles.

People get overly into break in. Remember recommendations not requirement.

Stop making sense!!! A car is a thing to worry about, not a transportation device and the notion of actually DRIVING a NEW car is absurd; That's why my Legacy is in a large ziplock bag i my garage, so it can stay safe :lol:

Where do I get one of said Ziplocks. My car keeps getting dusty sitting in the garage and I think it's ruining the paint:lol:.

Let's kick this pig!

I always break in my engines like this

Run the engine for 30min changing rpms, change oil, drive nicely for 300 or so miles change oil trq head or heads down and then just drive it like you normally would. Gas it when you would drive nice when you would. This method was taught to me by my uncles who helped me with my frist engine build when i was 15. I have seen this method used on cars making 250whp all the way up to cars making 1500whp. So IMO it works

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2331856&postcount=30

I recommend changing the oil every 100 feet for the first 10 miles, then every mile for the next 100, then every 5 miles for the next 500, then every 10 miles for the next 1000, then you can pick up with the manufacturer's specs, although "I usually cut that in half because they don't really know anything :lol:

I always break in my engines like this

Run the engine for 30min changing rpms, change oil, drive nicely for 300 or so miles change oil trq head or heads down and then just drive it like you normally would. Gas it when you would drive nice when you would. This method was taught to me by my uncles who helped me with my frist engine build when i was 15. I have seen this method used on cars making 250whp all the way up to cars making 1500whp. So IMO it works

Changing the oil after 30 minutes? Seems a bit excessive.

Why? These are all engine builds and its the first time the rings and bearings and valve train have friction against them. I just do it so that anything rubbed off is out of the oil.

For reference anytime you watch horsepower tv or anything and they build an engine and then put it on the dyno they let the engine run then change the oil after 15-30min of just running it then start doing high rpms engine pulls right away. Everyone has there own way of breaking in a engine, what is your way?

Thanks you all. BTW, i do drive my car, but since it's the first big purchase i've made, i want to do whatever i can to make it last a long time, thats all.

Good for you...enjoy your car.:wub: Remember that most of these comments are of the humorous variety and are for our entertainment as much as anything:cool:

To the OP:

New vehicle break-in driving – the first 1,000 miles (1,600km) S08AA The performance and long life of yourvehicle are dependent on how you handle and care for your vehicle while it is new. Follow these instructions during the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km): . Do not race the engine. And do not allow engine speed to exceed 4,000 rpm

except in an emergency.

. Do not drive at one constant engine or vehicle speed for a long time, either fast or slow.

. Avoid starting suddenly and rapid acceleration, except in an emergency.

. Avoid hard braking, except in an emergency.

The same break-in procedures should be applied to a newly installed or overhauled engine or when brake pads or brake linings are replaced with new ones.

Archived