LegacyGT.com

Springs help!!!

subie23

after searching, reading and many hours looking through threads i cannot seem to find a good lowering spring. Im stock on suspension mods right now. I had my eyes on the rallitek springs for a while cause i heard some good things about them but they just didnt lower enough for my taste. Im hearing now to go with tein H techs but ive heard some iffys about tein cause they sag?? im looking for looks in lowering and improved handling that i can survive in comfort for everyday driving without me getting car sick.

so basically lowered looks, handling, comfort. Is there such a spring?!?

please help

Cobb makes a decent spring, idk how low your looking but i think for stock struts those are your best bet. I would suggest their sways with the springs, my friend just put in their springs and the ride was OK compared to stock, definatly less squat and roll but not by much, then he put in F&R sways and after that the car felt much much better and very livable.

If you want low, check out Swift springs.

I think Mach V motors carries them. They are about 2" I believe.

Too low for me, I run iONs which are more of a subtle drop, between 1 and 1.5".

Swifts are generally the lowest compared to iON, Tein, Cobb, etc, but they might be made for GTs only.

^ Swifts = too harsh on OEM 2.5i/GT struts IMO.

Had ION sport spec on stock KYB's for 18 months. Nice, but now with Swifts/Bilsteins as a comparison the set up was less controlled with OEM sturts. The stock struts struggled.

Check out the wiki...

http://subiwiki.com/wiki/index.php/BL_%282005-2009%29#Handling_Modifications

Remember going lower = less shock travel. Plus with near stock rates, to keep some comfort, is going to equal a greater risk of bottoming out. You'd be better off picking up some better struts to go along with the springs.

He mentions wanting to go low a few times in his post. I think this is his main objective.;)

Sure, a stiff, low spring will be hard on your OEM struts, but they'll still last years before they're toast. I think if he got the iONs for example, he'd be unsatisfied with the drop, even though the ride quality is great.

Koni struts paired with the Swifts would be aggressive and well-rounded, but would triple the investment.

^ +1 on Swifts with a firmer strut. He may be low as he can go, but he'll like it in the driveway hate it out on the road.

If he's got to go low than I think IONS would be his best compromise.

*snip*...

so basically lowered looks, handling, comfort. Is there such a spring?!?

please help

No such spring... lowering the car might help your handling but will severely hamper ride quality. Actually, it will probably hurt your handling because the tires won't stay in contact with the road if you hit a bump mid-turn.

There just isn't enough compression stroke on the stock (or stock-style) struts with stock springs, nevermind a lowering spring. Trust me, I just went through this exercise with Konis/Swifts and on smooth roads it is pretty good, but any potholes/frost-heaves and it goes downhill quick.

If you want to go low with the least penalty possible to handling and ride quality, you need good coilovers... Even then, you are sacrificing performance and comfort for looks if you choose to slam it.

im not looking for it to be lowwww i just want a clean lowered look because i dont have enough for struts right now so im just looking at springs. i need something a little lower than ralliteks but nothing that will kill. i just need a good reliable spring that lowers a little more than the ralliteks but wont kill my stock struts. otherwise i might go with the tein h techs..??

so ive heard swifts are too harsh and low for the stock struts

teins ive heard some good on the h techs and bad on the s techs..

ralliteks ive heard all good from except they sit a bit higher

cobbs i've heard are good they could be too harsh also but maybe not?

iONs ive heard are prettyyy good as well as cobbs...so maybe either iONS or cobbs?

any other springs you guys recommend?

Archived