LegacyGT.com

Any suggestions to kill or lower the drone from cobb CBE?

Soda Popinski

I love my exhaust. I really do. invidia catted hfc downpipe right to a cobb SS Catback Exhaust. UE hangers and no leaks, no rattles.

But after 20,000 miles of driving, the bass from the exhaust rumble is a bit high. It's hard to have a conversation with people in the back, even in "i" mode going up the slightest of hills with the least bit of load on it.

What options do I have to help quiet the drone?

The answer is to sell it haha ;)

But honestly you should put the stock mufflers back on because they deaden the noise of anything. It will still have more sound because the Cobb mid/y pipe is not resonated.

Or you could add a resonator like the OP said. I like the stealth look though :)

+1 to the sound deadening. I did the trunk of an older saturn after doing an exhaust and it was much more pleasant in the cabin just from doing the trunk. I would remove the carpet, spare and anything else in there and "dynomat" all the exposed metal and then put the carpeting etc back. I wouldn't use actual Dynomat though as there are cheaper alternatives.

There are tons of alternatives for dynamat although it is a great product. I'd suggest doing the whole floor and back to the trunk.. it will be a little costly but you will gain the luxury of little to no road noise.. well if you continued with the doors too.

It decreases the noise in every aspect of your exhaust to just plain road noise.

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

he's running straight 3" pipes ...no mufflers

you can't hear hardly anything outside the car when sitting inside...

That's awesome, what did he coat the trunk with to do this?

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

cobb down, mid & y here. Stock cans solved my drone problem. Lost about 5hp - definitely worth it unless you like loud.

so that seems like if you put sound deadener in the trunk first it might solve your problem, soda popinski.

then coating all the floor if just the trunk doesnt work...

That's awesome, what did he coat the trunk with to do this?

it's pretty amazing...he used something similar to dynomat, and filled all of the open cavities with foam.

Kevin do you have any pictures of the trunk prior to finishing the sound system?

Sodapop I remember you dropped alot of cash all at once on your car and the car was pretty new. I remember that because I did the same thing and we did similar mods. One difference being I kept the stock mufflers. It was too quiet when they were brand new but now that I have about 8k on them they have gotten louder. If you still have them put them back on, save you money on the sound deadner.

I have Cobb DP, Cobb Mid Y, and Cobb cans. All getting a new sound note from APS equal length headers. The drone and exhaust note is really annoying inside the cabin.

My solution was to lay down some sound dampner in the trunk. I didn't finish the whole thing but I did do the whole spare tire well and it did make a difference. The higher end of the noise is all but gone. Once it gets warmer I plan on finishing the whole trunk and putting some foam in the empty spaces in the trunk around the quarter panels.

I don't have the stock cans. In fact, I sold all my stock parts except the suspention stuff.

I am curious, however, how much weight that dynomat adds, because IIRC when I did IASCA stuff that dynomat wasn't lightweight by any means.

Yeah its pretty heavy stuff. I bet you would want about 25lbs of it. If you do go that route look a Rammat.com I did a bunch of research on sound deadener and this was the best overall one. I always wondered how the trunk would look if we stripped all the carpet out of it and sprayed with a rhino liner type material.

what type of exhaust do you frkkevin?

COBB Catted Downpipe and straight 3" after that.. 4" magnaflow tips

I used SikaDamp.. you can get all kinds of alternatives.. I'm not so sure you can even find what I used.. the foam was just greatstuff from Lowes.. the cheapest sound deadener you can get is called PEAL-N-SEAL.. only Lowes sells its.. it is used to repair roofing..

If you did that route you'd have to do a few layers.. it is not the stickiest so I would not recommend it on anything other than the floor.. also you NEED a roller.. the key to sound deadening is to get all the air out by rolling the mat adhering it to the surface.. be sure to use de-natured alcohol to clean the surface first

...only found these two shots... i have the actual pics on my putfile.. but that server is total shit and it won't work right now

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2436/981/31087990017_large.jpg

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee359/frkkevin/amps/IMG_0021.jpg

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

Archived