LegacyGT.com

What did i do!!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very long time ago, my spouse was stopped going over the Portsmouth Bridge on Rte 95(spped limit 55). I should add she had smoked some of that funny weed laced with LSD.

She thought that she was driving very carefully, so she asked the Cop how fast she was going.

"8 miles an hour" , he replied.:lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

A very long time ago, my spouse was stopped going over the Portsmouth Bridge on Rte 95(spped limit 55). I should add she had smoked some of that funny weed laced with LSD.

She thought that she was driving very carefully, so she asked the Cop how fast she was going.

"8 miles an hour" , he replied.:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: what did the cop do?

You got your aunt to push your car with her car, and you were steering it while you were drunk in the snowy conditions you just wrecked on, there is a certain level of retarded in this story... Thank god no one was hurt, and you're lucky a cop didn't see you getting pushed by your aunt, you were basically saying, look at me I'm a drunken idiot pull me over. Yikes... Next time call someone for a ride and leave your car whereever it was parked.

Sometimes a little liquid courage is what inspires such acts of bravery like doing donuts in a school parking lot. To his defense though, I've done the same before when I was younger, but the school was out of session and the parking lot was totally empty. Though I never curbed it.

hey, lighten up- this is Virginia after all. Its not like he was doing a donut on the playground or driving a school bus full of kids. I live so close, yet I'm SO far away. Crunk-donuts-elementary-school-aunt-push-my-drunk-ass-home-in-Richmond FTL - Rock on!

Guest JessterCPA
So what happened to manuel? Did he get pushed home too?

Zomg! I nearly spit out my drink. Very well done sir! :lol::lol:

The tranny can be repaired - But you can't fix stupid.

Drunk driving, donuts, elementary school parking lot, hit a curb... Sorry, man - don't want to sound like your father or anything, but that was about as stupid a thing as you could have done. Think yourself VERY lucky that you didn't come to the attention of the police during this because you would have lost your license and had to pay 2 or 3 thousand dollars in fees/fines/costs/reinstatement/hi-risk insurance etc. Donuts is one thing - doing it drunk is just an unmitigated bonehead move.

Still, I wish you all the best. I just hope you learn from this.

Oh boy. How is that STi wing going to look with all those new scratches on the back? N don't get sassy, the guys in here are telling you that you were being stupid...which you were. Rimfaxe is just as irresponsible as you.

Manuel :lol:

RE: Shifter

Possibilities:

- Broken shift fork or some kind of catastrophic damage cased by broken pieces within the transmission - MUCHO dinero, rebuilt tranny.

- Jammed internal linkage. May be able to free it with the tranny in the car, or may require the case to be cracked open.. Heck, may be able to free it with some muscle on the shifter, however that muscle may also break a shift fork.

- Jammed, bent, damaged external linkage - possibly have to drop the tranny, dunno. Hopefully an easier fix.

Troubleshooting:

- Is the gearstick able to be moved around with unusually low forward/backward pressure? Could suggest a broken linkage.

Is the gearstick jammed in it's current position and does not want to move? Could suggest the linkage is jammed internally/externally, or that the transmission internal shifting linkage is jammed? Never seen inside a scoob transmission but I have jammed a nissan 5mt but simultaneously moving two shifter forks at the same time and neither of the detent balls stopped the other.

- A broken shift fork is a definite possibility from the symptoms, but I've seen that more as a result of poor lubrication and applying excessive force to a jammed shifter. Not personally seen a curb to that. If a shift fork was broken then I'd expect the gearshift to attempt to pull the shift fork back into neutral, releasing the detent ball and allowing the other shift fork to work. Ie if the 1-2 fork has an arm broken because excessive force shifted it into 1st without giving it time to engage the dogs via the synchros, then the arm would probably be bent back towards the neutral position. If it's broken and loose in the trans the things could be worse depending on if pieces got between gears on adjacent shafts.

If you pull the shifter back towards neutral from the 1 position then move over and try to select 3 or 4 then you are operating a different shift fork, so I'd expect that to move smoothly, but I would also expect a 50/50 chance that the broken fork didn't release the 1-2 gear that as engaged, so the trans would lock up and not go anywhere.

- Is the gearstick relatively easy to move in/around the neutral position, but will not engage into any gears because it feels like there is no gear to shift into? Especially if, say, the gearstick will move forward halfway toward 1 or 3, but won't move hardly towards 2 or 4 at all. That could be a case of two adjacent shift forks had tried to move at the same time and the deteny balls caused them both to jam. In this case you could tell because you can no longer 'feel' the H-pattern. Let me explain:

If you sit in an (unbroken) stickshift car with you footr on the clutch and engage 1st... Then lightly push the shifter right towards 3rd without pulling it backwards to the neutral position - it won't go, correct. Now, as you continue to apply slight pressure to the right also pull backwards slowly toward neutral - the gearstick comes backwards out of 1st before springing to the right. A lot of people think there is some H-shaped (but with 6 corners like a shift pattern) piece of metal that guides the shifter in toward 1,2,3,4 and so on - but there isn't. This is a side-effect of the way the shift forks work. When you push the lever towards 1st the transmission is pushing on a piece of linkage that the shift fork is connected to, and as this happens is forces a little spring loaded ball-bearing into a position that prevents any other shift fork linkage from moving - this is a detent ball. You have to deselect 1st to be able to select a different gear. If you try to push the gearstick forward between 1 and 3 so neither gear if fully selected then the detent balls from both linkages will try to stop the other linkage from moving, and it's almost always successful - this is what gives the feeling of some kind of barrier between 1 and 3. I've seen it happen where a shifter is jammed into place so hard that the two detent balls have caused the two shift fork linkages to jam. If this happens then the gearstick moves side to side as normal (light spring pressure to the left, heavy spring pressure to the right) but if you try the trick to select 1 then the try to move right to 3 then you can no longer 'feel' the H-pattern. That interaction between the linkages is no longer there because the linkages are jammed.

Difficult to explain, I know. Sorry.

Iwannascruitsedan? :hide:

Did you just write all that? You wasted all the time? Wow, I take my hat off to you for having that amount of patients with a guy like this.

Not only did I write it, but I'm looking for the pics of my last 5mt rebuild to try to explain the concepts better. Maybe I'm just a sucker for a hard luck story. :lol:

^^thank god some one doesnt act like my mom.

Check this asshole. How about my girlfriend was killed by some douche like yourself (20 years ago). She was on her way home from work when some shit head like you thought "well, I'll just be out for some fun" in some snowy weather. He was loaded and lost control of his vehicle while he was (admittedly) goofing off and killed her. He was less than a mile from his house.

So how about you go **** yourself. ******* asshole.

I too was the victim of a drunk driver, although I survived. The guy went to see a soccer game but it was canceled so they spent the time in the bar instead. His 'two beers' convinced him to show off to his friend by hitting a small hump-back bridge at 80mph to try to get air time. They landed on the hood of my car as I approached from the other side of the bridge. The passenger nearly died - he had the engine in his lap after it came through the firewall. The driver was crushed between the steering wheel and chair down a space of around 8", but he also survived. I suffered minor injures that only required a short hospitalization - more due to larger car I was in. Ge was driving a metro and I was driving a taurus and he hit me so hard he knocked me backwards 30 feet.

I personally think drunk drivers should lose their license UK style - that is 18 month absolute ban with no such thing as work driving permit. But that's just me. I admit that I am emotionally biased against drunk driving as a result of nearly being killed by a drunk driver, so I don't expect my opinion to be takes as the voice of moderation.

Archived