LegacyGT.com

Figuring out what parts are on my car

I have an '05 I bought used, and am not exactly sure what is on it (I know, not usually good to buy a car with really unknown modified history, but I got a great deal)

Any idea as to figuring out what all is on the car? This is what I have so far:

K&N Typhoon Intake

Greddy Boost Gage

AVO 4-5 Turbo

Cobb Heatshield

BOV

Possibles:

Suspension, car has about a 2 finger gap between tires and fender, and almost zero body roll

Clutch, had a few people drive it, all of them think its a aftermarket clutch, they all have decent experience on a lot of cars, but not on AWD ones / subis. Engagement seems to be about an inch off the floor and is fully engaged in about an inch.

Shifter, seems to be equipped with a short shifter, each gear is about 1.5" out of neutral.

Do the possibles sound like modified parts based off of how the stock LGTs act? Any ideas as to where to go (I'm in Golden, CO) to find out what all is on the car.

btw, runs about 12-13 lbs boost at 9k, 14 at 6k, 15 at 4k according to the boost gage. No low end, tons of top end, and no boost taper.

I have an '05 I bought used, and am not exactly sure what is on it (I know, not usually good to buy a car with really unknown modified history, but I got a great deal)

Any idea as to figuring out what all is on the car? This is what I have so far:

K&N Typhoon Intake

Greddy Boost Gage

AVO 4-5 Turbo

Cobb Heatshield

BOV

Possibles:

Suspension, car has about a 2 finger gap between tires and fender, and almost zero body roll

Clutch, had a few people drive it, all of them think its a aftermarket clutch, they all have decent experience on a lot of cars, but not on AWD ones / subis. Engagement seems to be about an inch off the floor and is fully engaged in about an inch.

Shifter, seems to be equipped with a short shifter, each gear is about 1.5" out of neutral.

Do the possibles sound like modified parts based off of how the stock LGTs act? Any ideas as to where to go (I'm in Golden, CO) to find out what all is on the car.

btw, runs about 12-13 lbs boost at 9k, 14 at 6k, 15 at 4k according to the boost gage. No low end, tons of top end, and no boost taper.

uummm? :confused:

First of all, why are you running this engine at 9K RPM? :eek: Second, what is an AVO 4-5 turbo? Are you running a stock intercooler. For an aftermarket turbo, your boost is pretty low. Sight unseen, it's hard to tell what suspension pieces you have. You'd have to put it up to take a look. I'm at a loss.

Did it come with an aftermarket computer management system that you are aware of? You should probably take it into a Subie tuner shop around your area and have them give it a look over. Tuning is something you should be cautious of. If it's not tuned properly you'll most likely have a blowed up motor.

uummm? :confused:

First of all, why are you running this engine at 9K RPM? :eek: Second, what is an AVO 4-5 turbo? Are you running a stock intercooler. For an aftermarket turbo, your boost is pretty low. Sight unseen, it's hard to tell what suspension pieces you have. You'd have to put it up to take a look. I'm at a loss.

those are peak boost levels (4.5-6.5k rpm) at different altitudes, e.g. 9000'

Pretty sure its a stock IC, I'll borrow a camera from a friend and get some pics up on here.

those are peak boost levels (4.5-6.5k rpm) at different altitudes, e.g. 9000'

Pretty sure its a stock IC, I'll borrow a camera from a friend and get some pics up on here.

OOHH! Sorry, it was a little unclear. That makes sense. :lol:

I'm wondering if the stock intercooler was put back on and the original owner parted out an aftermarket intercooler. LGT-NY is right that the stock intercooler cannot efficiently be run with an AVO turbo. Check to see if the inside of the bumper is trimmed. That will indicate if there was a front mount IC on at some time. Take as many detailed pics as possible ov everything. This has piqued my interest.

Took off the engine cover, and its a stock IC (unless there is an aftermarket one with plastic ends)

Would that be the reason I can't get decent boost below 4k rpm?

btw, what are the negative effects on the car with running an AVO turbo and stock TMIC?

Guest LGT-NY

Dude... Do you understand how turbos work or cooling or flow rates or anything? If not, I suggest you do a little reading just to get a fundmental understanding of how your car works.

An AVO 450 turbo is a pretty large turbo, way to large to be adequately cooled by a stock intercooler with plastic end tanks. :lol:

Even a Perrin or AVO TMIC would be pushing it with a 420 let alone a 450. Beyond that man, you just need to gain a better understanding and read up! :)

Oh and, where did you buy this horrifying automobile that you know nothing about?

Dude... Do you understand how turbos work or cooling or flow rates or anything? If not, I suggest you do a little reading just to get a fundmental understanding of how your car works.

An AVO 450 turbo is a pretty large turbo, way to large to be adequately cooled by a stock intercooler with plastic end tanks. :lol:

Even a Perrin or AVO TMIC would be pushing it with a 420 let alone a 450. Beyond that man, you just need to gain a better understanding and read up! :)

Oh and, where did you buy this horrifying automobile that you know nothing about?

I understand a bit, but not much, especially when it comes to intercoolers, most of what I know is with NA cars and bikes, and I actually bought this at a dodge dealer, the guy who looked it over though had a heavily modified EVO (including roll cage), and WRX though.

:needpics:

the guy who looked over my car had a 6x turbo ferrari and told me my brand new '09 2.5 se was a stage 3 turbo, clearly he was right because he had such a well built machine for his own car :rolleyes:

:needpics:

the guy who looked over my car had a 6x turbo ferrari and told me my brand new '09 2.5 se was a stage 3 turbo, clearly he was right because he had such a well built machine for his own car :rolleyes:

6x.... 6 turbos? holy crap.

:lol:

car for sale. PM me!

You need to get that car to a tuner before the motor blows up.. I'd keep it below reasonable amounts of boost till then too (ie don't redline it again)..

You may have gotten a great deal, but not if you have to replace a motor..

Like everyone has said. Take A crap load of pictures, turbo, i/c, how it mates up, the dp, up pipe, everything in the area of the turbo. If you can remove the i/c and heatshield that would be best. That only takes like 20 min if you know what your doing. If you don't, well.. get someone else to do it.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

If there is any AVO turbo on this car you have some major work to do.

First you need to deal with the intercooler. As LGT-NY stated even an AVO420 pushes an aftermarket TMIC.

Second, I'm sure that the engine is NOT properly tuned to that setup.

You need to get this car to somebody and get it straightened out ..... and now.

Guest LGT-NY
OP, when you say you got a "great deal" what are we talking about? If you don't mind, how much did you pay for this gem?

Archived