LegacyGT.com

Oil change voids factory warranty?

wpmarky

I read a couple of the threads about CBE's and intakes voiding the warranty, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and how warranty response comes down to the dealer you take your car too.

The dealer where I bought my car told me that if I change my own oil, I will void the warranty (WTF?). He explained that if anyone does any work on the car that isn't subaru tech certified, it will void the warranty, and that is why I should buy their 36k pre-paid maintenance package. It was 10 at night, so I bought it cuz he said i could get a refund if I decide later I don't want it.

Can anyone verify this? This was a huge downer to hear because I got this car for its tuning potential. I was only hoping to do a basic UP/DP stage 2 etune, but I don't want my warranty voided because they noticed my downpipe when they're changing my oil, or if I forget to reflash back to stock before taking it in.

When I talked to another dealership while car shopping, they told me that the warranty only affects the parts that are replaced, and a CBE/TBE would only affect the warranty of the OEM CBE parts, not the rest of the car since the exhaust wouldn't really affect anything.

That is innorrect. Maintenance can be performed anywhere, just be sure to perform all the maintenance as described in the owners manual and keep accurate documentation to prove the work was done. A maintenance logbook including date, mileage and service performed including receipts for parts purchased.

Opie

Service Manager - Mastro Subaru

Whatever you paid for that 36k package was too much. That's a load of BS, which I'm sure they throw at everyone to keep them coming back for service.

It's your car, do what you want to it.

They can't completely void your warranty for installing parts, or changing your own oil. I do recommend saving ALL your receipts if you go elsewhere just in case they try to use that BS line on you if something goes wrong.

Plus, if you are going to tune the car, you are taking a chance something will break/wear prematurely due to abuse, so there is a chance they won't honor certain parts if it's suspect.

Thanks for the quick answers, it's also good to hear from a Sub. Service Mgr. thanks Opie. I thought that sounded like bs when he said "if you change your own oil, you void the warranty". It almost sounded illegal to say "if you let anyone but us change your oil, your warranty will be void".

I read through all the blown turbo threads, and saw that most of the denied warranty work were due to lack of evidence for oil changes. If i do the oil changes myself every 3500 miles, is a notebook log of oil changes and services with mileage and dates enough evidence?

What Dbags!!! That kinda stuff pisses me off. I take pride in my car, I wouldn't let anyone do a oil change on my car. I cringe when I have to take my car in for warranty work. While I have had good luck with Subaru Service I have heard horror stories from Mitsubuishi, and Hyndai customers about not tighting oil filters or leaving drain plugs loose. Or putting everything on with a impact wrench and breaking something. I watched a car pull out of a Pit Pro's and the second it turned onto the road all 4 tires fell off the car and it slid to a sparking debree showering stop because they didn't tighten any of the lugs but let her drive it off.

I also want to add on to what Opie said. Keep in mind if it is done incorrectly or the non oem parts used causes a failure, SOA will not cover it. Otherwise you should be fine.

I would speak with SOA and the general Manager being they were not upfront and honest and used a scare tactic to persuade you to buy something you may not have wanted nor did you need if the "right" info was provided.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

My dealer offered free oil changes for life when i bought the car new, and Im more than happy to use subaru recommended oil :)

I blew my truck motor going past the OCI, limited records, warranty coverage was iffy and I didnt want to pay to have it torn apart for them to tell me that I wasnt covered, now I wouldnt buy a new $37k (cdn) car and change the oil myself.

i called SOA, and was told by the rep that i could preform my own oil changes provided i kept a log of dates and milage of when the services where preformed, and i used a genuine subaru filter.. I was also told that internal condition of the engine would indicate if the oil changes where done in time so it wasnt much of a concern.

Nope, you do not need to use one. The caveat to that is if the non oem filter being used causes the problem, then SOA doesn't have to warranty the claim.

Honestly, I have seen quite a few non oem filters leak, that I run them for the piece of mind and the 5 or 6 bucks isn't going to kill me.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

so, you can use any non-oem oil filter, provided that the oil filter didn't cause anything to fail?

Correct.

I don't know, should you? Does the K&N and Mobil 1 filters have a history of failing? If they are reliable filters, you can stick with them.

My personal preference on my Z/28 and Subaru, I run oem filters.

I will probably change to oem, just to be on the safe side.

k&n and M1 filters run about $13. I will probably save more with oem filter. :)

where can i find the cheapest oem oil filter? dealership or online? I want to stock up till I hit 36k mile

Archived