LegacyGT.com

Brake Shake?

offthacliff

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I can report now a positive improvement to the point it is as it should be.

Rob.

Please keep us informed on your progress. If the problem has been fixed by using a different set of front pads I would expect any half decent dealership to replace the old ones on the next service without even been asked. However, I know this won't happen so I'll have to point this out for them.

Just got my Leg GT back from the shop after this same problem and they tried to blame the other dealership I went to before they closed down. They said they over-torqued the front wheels and this caused the rotors to warp. I guess they have an excuse for everything! They even said I might have to pay for it since another Subaru dealership did the work! What a bunch of BS!!! Well they did resurface my rotors and they decided to pay for it after I told them they could have the car and shove it if they expected me to pay for the repairs. Guess we will see how long before the shake comes back.

Guess we will see how long before the shake comes back.

If all they did is resurface the rotors then the shakes will probably come back. It did for me. Next time I will be demanding for the real solution - the newer pads.

So far Im 2k miles on them with a lot of hard braking from 120-60 and 75-0 braking.

Im also using the carbotech pads(thank god! the stock pads suck so much ass)

No vibration yet. The rotor vibration was my biggest beef with the car and since I had

that taken care of the car is so much more of a joy to drive. Now to fix that pesky

squatting under acceleration =P

• 1 month later...
FYI - I had the exact same problem since day 1 of ownership of my car. Braking at speeds around or over 70 produced pretty startling steering wheel shaking and a general lack of confidence in stopping the car. Had them checked out - the front rotors were very pitted and rough and they resurfaced them (so far) successfully. The rear rotors were apparently beyond repair and were replaced under warranty. A big difference from before and we'll see how long this lasts. The stock pads still blow though :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

:iam:

I know this is bringing this back from the dead, but what have people upgraded to since? I was doing some backroad driving with some wicked turns the other day following a buddy of mine and my wheel was shaking and baking. What effective solutions have people implemented?

Upgrade your pads.

I went through a set of Endless Vita Nuovas in 20K miles. Satisfied. Very Dusty.

Now I'm on a set of Hawk HPS. Still satisfied. Very Dusty. Don't know how long they'll last.

I keed I keeed

• 2 weeks later...

1) Upgrade pads

2) Look for deposits being the problem first (vs warped rotors...not that rotors cannot have problems (Subaru replaced mine), but the deposits seem to be more common). You can remove deposits, but if you're running the car so hard that you're exceeding the pad's temp range (my case even on some nice pads (Endless SS-M)) you may need to look at other options like...take it easier on brakes, add ducting, higher temp range pads (e.g. for race day--remember, higher temp pads often need to be warmed up so may not be suitable for street use), etc.), larger brakes/rotors (expensive).

• 2 years later...
There seems to be a ton of stress put on the front brakes on the LGT... I am on my second set of rotors and pads with 65K and would very much look at going to aftermarket the next turn around... if dealing with the dealer/parts dept... order with your VIN number in hand... apparterently the LGT had two different rotors(thinner vs thicker) based on when produced.... even in the same model year... at least that is what i got from the Subaru Dealer

There seems to be a ton of stress put on the front brakes on the LGT... I am on my second set of rotors and pads with 65K and would very much look at going to aftermarket the next turn around... if dealing with the dealer/parts dept... order with your VIN number in hand... apparterently the LGT had two different rotors(thinner vs thicker) based on when produced.... even in the same model year... at least that is what i got from the Subaru Dealer

Just get a higher quality aftermarket pad and you will be ok. The stock pads leave deposits which gives the impression of warped rotors when they really arent. To make things worse, most places will machine/cut them down to solve the problem, which then shortens the rotor life.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

I belong to the club as well. Very annoying. I am hoping that some new pads and a good bedding session will make it stop. This whole warped rotors debate is a very confusing. I wish someone would present some better evidence. Personally though, I hope they're not warped. Pads are much cheeper than rotors.

I belong to the club as well. Very annoying. I am hoping that some new pads and a good bedding session will make it stop. This whole warped rotors debate is a very confusing. I wish someone would present some better evidence. Personally though, I hope they're not warped. Pads are much cheeper than rotors.

Warped rotors is unlikely. Crappy brake pads is a sure thing. Change your pads and see how it feels.

Archived