LegacyGT.com

Toy/Subaru Direct Injection

Ryandigi

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/18/toyota-subaru-fr-sports-car-code-named-086a-will-include-direct/

How long do you think (anybody with insider info :rolleyes:) until the STI or LGT (if she lives to next generation) get the direct injection boxer.

Yeah yeah I know it is supposed to be some 200hp NA car but DI was built for turbos IMO :spin:

We're already discussing it over here:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68080

There are rumors that the '10 Legacy is slated to get more power, and that a new generation of Subaru boxers are on deck. It might not be that long...

But the Autoblog rumor about the Toyubaru Coupe says 2012, due to the engineering of putting Toyota's Direct Injection system onto the Subaru Boxer...

So it might take that long...

and tuning capability...ah this cake tastes awfully good!

Errr... not always the case....

Mazda's DI system hasn't been figured out and doesn't seem to have the capacity to support power beyond the oem turbos. BMW DI system only on the 3L TT can only max out(and a little beyond) the stock turbos.

Although, it seems that you can finally get aftermarket upgrade DI parts for VW cars. Also, GM overengineered the DI system on the Cobalt SS. Apparently, the max IDC you'll on a stock Cobalt SS is 25%! It seems that the Cobalt SS has a fuel system that can support mid 400whp without upgrade.

DI has the potential, if done correctly. However, it remains to be seen how Subaru will implement this new technology.

It's interesting that Nissan did not use DI on the GT-R. They were the japanese pioneers(NEO-Di, has been used since the mid 90s in japan) of the technology.

Errr... not always the case....

Mazda's DI system hasn't been figured out and doesn't seem to have the capacity to support power beyond the oem turbos. BMW DI system only on the 3L TT can only max out(and a little beyond) the stock turbos.

Although, it seems that you can finally get aftermarket upgrade DI parts for VW cars. Also, GM overengineered the DI system on the Cobalt SS. Apparently, the max IDC you'll on a stock Cobalt SS is 25%! It seems that the Cobalt SS has a fuel system that can support mid 400whp without upgrade.

DI has the potential, if done correctly. However, it remains to be seen how Subaru will implement this new technology.

It's interesting that Nissan did not use DI on the GT-R. They were the japanese pioneers(NEO-Di, has been used since the mid 90s in japan) of the technology.

Given that Subaru and Porsche collaborated to implement the 3.0R's AVLS system, one could argue that they might be working on other things as well, such as DI.

Given that Subaru and Porsche collaborated to implement the 3.0R's AVLS system, one could argue that they might be working on other things as well, such as DI.

No doubt but it doesn't mean that Subaru will have a system similar to Porsche's. I haven't heard of anyone modding Porsche cars with DI systems yet. Also, the early rumours seem to point to Toyota helping out Subaru with DI

Also remember that DI may also allow the use of regular 87 octane fuel with high compression and/or turbo engines.

Last time I was out at Summit Point, there was a guy there with a newish GTi that was blowing by me and keeping up with a Gallardo on the straights. After being lapped by him twice during a session (I was still stock), I asked him what the hell he had under the hood. He responded with stock turbo...but he had changed the plumbing, intake, and exhaust for a tune yielding over 350 hp at the crank. And I wouldn't have believed him if he hadn't just blown by me and a bunch of faster cars on the track.

Also remember that DI may also allow the use of regular 87 octane fuel with high compression and/or turbo engines.

Last time I was out at Summit Point, there was a guy there with a newish GTi that was blowing by me and keeping up with a Gallardo on the straights. After being lapped by him twice during a session (I was still stock), I asked him what the hell he had under the hood. He responded with stock turbo...but he had changed the plumbing, intake, and exhaust for a tune yielding over 350 hp at the crank. And I wouldn't have believed him if he hadn't just blown by me and a bunch of faster cars on the track.

How big are their stock turbos?? Sounds like an sti sized turbo yet they are so torquey down low...makes no sense to me, what am I missing :iam:

Err....

Stage 2 GTI's are 230-240 WHP and 270 ish WTQ... IIRC....

I think it may have been the main mod was between the driver's seat and steering wheel. If this person was in fact running the stock turbo and DI system.

:hide:

I think he had gone past stage two - he had a huge intercooler gaping out of the bottom of his front bumper. He may have been exaggerating the HP numbers but this thing was seriously fast. Like I said before, he was able to keep up with Porsches, Ferraris, GTs, and Gallardo that were on the track, at least on the straights which would indicate that he had some serious power. He also had coilovers and thicker sways and was a fairly skilled driver but if he only had 250 whp, he would get passed on the straights which never happened.

I think he had gone past stage two - he had a huge intercooler gaping out of the bottom of his front bumper. He may have been exaggerating the HP numbers but this thing was seriously fast. Like I said before, he was able to keep up with Porsches, Ferraris, GTs, and Gallardo that were on the track, at least on the straights which would indicate that he had some serious power. He also had coilovers and thicker sways and was a fairly skilled driver but if he only had 250 whp, he would get passed on the straights which never happened.

I am going to venture a guess that those exotics were not pushing it. It's hard to believe that a VW with 350 hp, is keeping up with cars that heve 600+ hp that were designed to go uber fast, where as the GTI is an upper level econo-box. You know, just saying...

Archived