LegacyGT.com

Clutch Selection

f85stealth

I need to get a new clutch so I can have my car protuned among the obvious reasons for replacing a clutch.

I know the information is out there and I have been searching for the past hour and cant seem to find what I need. Maybe someone can help that knows off the top of their head.

What is the weight of the stock 06 legacy gt clutch and flywheel? I would also like to find out the weight of the 06 wrx flywheel.

I am trying to find a stage two setup clutch but keep the factory weight, I want no vibration or clutch chatter then I would experience with an oem one.

I am not looking to save weight just looking to hold more power.

I am considering ACT, Spec, competition clutch, and exedy right now.

For the GT the stock flywheel is 23pounds. I have a spec stage2+ clutch and spec LWF(14pounds). I love the setup and it has seen a bunch of track use. The chatter has gotten much quieter now that i have just about 19K on it but in the beginning it was bad the g/f hated it. Most of the aftermarket clutches will produce chatter anyways. I'm not sure of the wrx flywheel weight but its just a little bit lighter then the LGT flywheel also its a single mass flywheel.

For the GT the stock flywheel is 23pounds. I have a spec stage2+ clutch and spec LWF(14pounds). I love the setup and it has seen a bunch of track use. The chatter has gotten much quieter now that i have just about 19K on it but in the beginning it was bad the g/f hated it. Most of the aftermarket clutches will produce chatter anyways. I'm not sure of the wrx flywheel weight but its just a little bit lighter then the LGT flywheel also its a single mass flywheel.

Thanks for the info. I am still not sure the benefit of having dual mass versus single.

The dual mass systems are designed to transmit less engine vibration to the driveline, and give a better more car like driving experience. They also reduce some of the jarring and stress on the transmission and remainder of the drivetrain. They work fine as long as the engine remains unmodified and the vehicle is not used/abused beyond manufacturers recommendations.

The single mass part WILL tend to transmit more engine pulse (vibration) tot he drivetrain, and will seem a bit rougher. But it is straight forward to design a single mass flywheel and clutch package for pretty much any engine torque curve and vehicle loading combo you can come up with. Drives more like a TRUCK, but has much better reliability at extreme use levels.

Well it doesn't look like anyone makes an aftermarket dual mass that can hold any more power then stock.

So it seems I am looking for the heaviest flywheel clutch combo to keep the noise and chatter down.

ACT, Exedy, and spec make options for our vehicles......I am tempted by the Exedy

So is the PP the same on the 07+ lgts?

In-other-words, is the 05-06 DMF the same dimensionally as the 07+ fly?

Part numbers for disc/pressure plate also changed, so I don't know if they are the same dimensionally.

Check if same Spec aftermarket clutch fits all 05-09 years.

I looked on specs website and their clutches only go up to 07 models. But the part numbers are the same for a 05 06 and 07. So are you sure the the flywheel wasn’t changed over in 08+ models? Or is the 07 legacy stock flywheel part number the same as a 06 wrx stock flywheel part number?

That brings up a good question couldn't we use a stock 05 STI clutch, since they were 5 speed? It holds the power most of us stage 2 guys are at...

Bullyclutch in canada also makes an aftermarket dual mass clutch that supposed to be pretty good with close to 400tq ratings....

im seriosuly considering that over ACT I like the sound of designed for the legacy better then this wrx conversion stuff.....

I wish I knew someone who had one...

That brings up a good question couldn't we use a stock 05 STI clutch, since they were 5 speed? It holds the power most of us stage 2 guys are at...

Bullyclutch in canada also makes an aftermarket dual mass clutch that supposed to be pretty good with close to 400tq ratings....

im seriosuly considering that over ACT I like the sound of designed for the legacy better then this wrx conversion stuff.....

The ACT is a "WRX conversion", but apparently Subaru did that conversion as well in 07.;)

No USDM STI was ever 5-speed!!! :spin:

04+ sti's are 6 speed. So if your 5 speed you cant use sti stock clutch and flywheel.

I think bully clutch makes a clutch that works with the stock "dual mass" flywheel. I've just never heard of a "dual mass clutch"

And just like it’s been said the 06 wrx flywheel is now in the LGT. So its not to much a “wrx swap” anymore. And everyone seems to like that set up with the act clutch.

and one more recap you can use spec clutch with stock dual mass flywheel. People also have good things to say about spec clutches and thier LWF...me being one of them.

So now my question is: When my 2008 clutch wears out, can I have my (apparently single mass) flywheel re-surfaced and just install an ACT HD clutch that would pair with an 06+ SM WRX Flywheel?

If so, this means that when my clutch goes out it's going to cost alot less to replace, because I can re-use the stock flywheel.

Joe

Archived