LegacyGT.com

Stick or Auto

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='PPower']US cars are set at 45/55. I wonder why they adjusted it when other countries seem to get the 35/65. You said that you can change the default setting. Is this a DIY mod? I've never heard about it.[/quote] I meant the manufacturer can set this. I don't think this is DIY friendly, as it involves assembling the center diff with a different gearset/clutchpack, but I'm not too clear on the technical aspect.

[quote name='autobahned']I'll like to go for the stick, but I want to get the VTD too, and the MT has been a quite old design...well, I'll think I'll take the wagon with MT, no leather, no moonroof...just try to make it lighter to compensate wagon's extra 20kg.[/quote] You and I both, sir. As a matter of fact, I'll take that rather lovely silver wagon you have under your screen name there. :lol: Only, my reasons for eschewing leather are that you slide around when getting frisky, and it's harder to take care of, and the big-arsed moonroof (bigger than the JDM version, yes?) just makes me think of a flight of geese with digestive tract problems and me, sitting at a light, unsuspecting... :o Kevin

[quote name='autobahned']gtguy, I also heard that moonroof will reduce the solidity of the chassis, not to mention such a big moonroof. [/quote] Sun/moon roof extra - don't do much for me. I rarely use it - more often than not it lets in to much light on a sunny day.

[quote name='autobahned']gtguy, I also heard that moonroof will reduce the solidity of the chassis, not to mention such a big moonroof. And the leather seat not only slippery in turn but also brings serious temp contrast to the rear seat passenger in extream weather(Cold/Hot)[/quote] Ah, the age old debate.. There is no way the moonroof will reduce the rigidity of the chassis to any degree which would be felt by the driver. There was so much babble about this with the WRX on NASIOC (I-Club at that time) about this topic. Basically ended up that Subaru just didn't offer one but the Subaru loyalists were saying that there was a reason for not offering it (chassis strength). Same reason why we won't get the Mcintosh, NAV etc... because Subaru just isn't offering it.

[quote name='PPower']US cars are set at 45/55. I wonder why they adjusted it when other countries seem to get the 35/65. You said that you can change the default setting. Is this a DIY mod? I've never heard about it.[/quote] so it's fulltime 45/55 on dry condition or all condition?? i thought ratio changes in different road conditions

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

[quote name='questmgd']What makes it harder to decide is that it is a 5-speed. C'mon, it's 2004, the new flagship performance sedan comes with a 5-speed manual?[/quote] You don't want it to be offered with a manual. Why wouldn't you want the choice to decide.. makes no sense.

[quote name='questmgd']What makes it harder to decide is that it is a 5-speed. C'mon, it's 2004, the new flagship performance sedan comes with a 5-speed manual?[/quote] 5 speeds vs. 6 speeds has been gone over. With well-chosen ratios, you don't actually need a 6-speed. I imagine the Legacy will have one built, because people seem to be into that whole 6-speed thing. "It's better...it's one more." Advantages to a 5-speed are that you only need one shift to get to 60 mph, and we have yet to see what effect the larger engine will have on the buzziness factor of the proposed 4.11 final drive. With a 6-speed, you'll have two shifts to 60 mph, but the sixth gear can be verrry tall, for fuel economy. Of course, that tall final drive also means that you are pretty far from boost (the Legacy is a turbo car, remember) should you need to scoot for some reason. You'd have to grab 5th in that case. Look at the WRX's gearing, for example. You're never far from boost in 5th (3.9 final), yet you aren't buzzy traveling at about 80 mph on the highway. Very nicely-chosen ratios. I expect the Legacy to be even better, and quieter with the attention paid by Subaru to NVH. People can, will, and continue to justify their demands for a 6-speed. But it's mostly marketing, like Shimano's 10-speed STi road kit. Nobody NEEDS ten rear cogs, but hey, Campagnolo has a 10-speed kit, so... Driving a manual vs an autobox Legacy GT will make the decision. Expect the manual to be about a second faster, 0-60, than the autobox. Case closed. Kevin

A F1 driver speaks This year's rules also state that F1 cars must revert back to use manual gear shift, after almost three years with fully automatic gearboxes. This doesn't worry Barrichello, however, as he says the engines will be able to withstand drivers' errors. "It's not like you're going to change into the wrong gear," he says. "You might lose some thousandths of a second if you don't change gears [on time], but you won't be breaking the engine in doing so, because there are still some electronic devices that ensure you don't ruin it." He then adds, tongue in cheek: "I don't care much about manual or automatic shifting, but perhaps I'd prefer driving with automatic gears because it's less dangerous: with 24 buttons on the steering wheel, by also having to change gears you run the risk of never looking at the road ahead!"

I have switched over now...I will be buying the new Legacy GT Limited with a 5 spd MT....YEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!! :D 8) I have decided to buy my wife a "2004" Audi A6 2.7TT Quattro with the 5 spd Tiptronic AT (Dolphin Gray with Ebony leather), and I will then buy the Legacy GT for myself in June or July unless I here about a performance version that would be available by the fall/winter. My wife does not like the looks of the Legacy so far (she loves those darn European cars), and this will actually enable me to buy the Legacy the way I really want...WITH THE 5 SPD MT! :)

[quote name='AMT4SWA']Don't worry Barrichello...Kimi will be smoking you like a cheap cigar this year!!! :wink: 8)[/quote] You may be right, but M. Schumacher will have the better of Raikkonen. Valencia testing has been verrry interesting. Coulthard had the lap record in the new McLaren, until M. Schumacher broke it (in the OLD Ferrari), then Montoya broke the record just set by Schumacher. Did I mention that he was driving the old Ferrari? Just checking. In the old car with the new engine, he is just behind the new Williams, in P2. With all of the performance enhancements for the new car, care to make any predictions? :lol: Kevin p.s. sorry for the off-track excursion!

[quote name='AMT4SWA']I have switched over now...I will be buying the new Legacy GT Limited with a 5 spd MT....YEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!! :D 8) I have decided to buy my wife a "2004" Audi A6 2.7TT Quattro with the 5 spd Tiptronic AT ...[/quote] Yeah, way to go, I'll do the similar thing to my wife by buying a 4runner which she's been hoping for and I sometimes use it to do some real off-road tackling; btw, it's a nice comprise on/off road grocery getter. I will sit in my 4th gen Maxima SE till June, and wa la...no body touch my 5 spd silver wagon, no moon roof, leather, wife...

• 2 months later...
Great discussion! I've been debating this myself for awhile on future cars. I've found that so long as engines have sufficient low/mid-range torque that autos are more than pleasing enough to drive both from a driveability standpoint and also overall performance. My current '99 Maxima is a manual and honestly I think I'm growing out of it. Automatics are a lot more relaxing to drive. Then consider that the wife-to-be cannot drive a manual, and I think my next car is going to be an automatic. I had a 2001 Accord V6 and the low/mid-range on that engine was poor, so I really hated automatics after that. But our Toyota Highlander has plenty of low-end and it's just fine (for what it is) with an automatic. I've also driven an 04 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 3.8L N/A (it was a rental) and even that was more than enough for me with its 4T65E automatic. So considering that a 2.5GT auto should easily be able to pull mid-14's with a little brake torquing which is quicker than my 5spd Maxima, I think I'll be more than pleased with an auto while also having a more relaxed driving experience and I'll be able to share it with the wife. 250 lb-ft @ only 3600rpm implies a smaller/quicker spooling turbo with minimal lag so I would think that the car would be quite strong off the line like the FXT. My Maxima is a high-14/low-15 car in stock form, and I've had it for over 2 years now and still have not felt any desire to modify it for more performance. So I think a 2.5GT/auto would be more than plenty for me. Steve

If you haven't tried the FXT yet and want to see what the new GT should be like, go try the FXT as it should be very similar in many ways. Go try both though. I did. I was actually somewhat supprised with the performance of the FXT Auto. It wasn't quite as potent as the manual, but it was right there when you wanted it.

• 10 months later...
i wasnt too happy to get the 5EAT at first but now i'm loving it..i have driven both and i dont think there is too much difference in shift time (provided you time ur shifts in the 5EAT) now if a 5EAT equipped Legacy has less power than a 5MT from the factory then that is another thing.

Archived