LegacyGT.com

Stick or Auto

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='KTM 525']There is no difference in crank HP but I would think the 5EAT would would have more driveline loss than the 5MT resulting in less HP to the wheels. Just how much i'd like to know.[/QUOTE] We'll see when you get dynoed at Ray's.

Go with the stick. It is much safer to down-shift in crappy weather than stepping on the brakes, even with AWD. AWD is great but it's not 100% effective Itsbest to slow the engine down manually than with brakes. You also get more power with a stick, especially with a car like the GT. If you are thinking about an automatic because you or your parent's can't drive one, well, that's a no brainer. LEARN! Once you learn and practice you will never buy another auto. lol. Lisa

[quote name='lisa']Go with the stick. It is much safer to down-shift in crappy weather than stepping on the brakes, even with AWD. AWD is great but it's not 100% effective Itsbest to slow the engine down manually than with brakes. You also get more power with a stick, especially with a car like the GT. If you are thinking about an automatic because you or your parent's can't drive one, well, that's a no brainer. LEARN! Once you learn and practice you will never buy another auto. lol. Lisa[/QUOTE] Can't you downshift the AUTO in manual/sport mode to get engine braking? Last night, before my wife went to work, we had 966 miles on the car! WOOHOO! Almost past breakin!! HV

yes, you can downshift through every gear in an auto. i know how to drive manuals, but the daily commute weighed in on my decision. sometimes i get stuck on the fwy, and being on and off the clutch for 1-2 hours while moving 0-10mph completely sucks IMO.

I sometimes hate my decision to go to automatic... I crave the manual.. but other times I really enjoy the auto.. with the sport shift option. I wish I had a manual for the 'fun' factor, and to really be one with the car.... but I realise i get 95% of it w/ sportshift. I just can't launch or use a clutch... The auto was a better deal with people complaining of shifiting w/ a cup in the holder... and the (lack of ) armrest. I also think I am someone who would have trouble w/ the subi clutch ..

Guest JessterCPA
I am glad I got the auto. After 14 years of driving stick shift, I welcome the change. I have no regrets. Especially during the 2 hour rush hour drive, bumper to bumper.

• 4 years later...
I'm reviving this thread rather than starting a new one. I was browsing at my local Toyota dealer and the salesman I spoke with told me that he would be hard pressed to get me a Toyota with an MT. The Camry comes with a 6MT now, but whats the point if they are reluctant to get you one. Anyway, I was at Subaru a few days later and I estimated that a little less than half of the Subarus on the lot were 5 speeds. Apparently this particular dealer sells the Forester almost exclusively with a 5MT. Different buyers was my conclusion. Nevertheless, I thought it was interesting.

Archived