LegacyGT.com

Most carmakers' sales plunge; Hyundai, Subaru gain

absolutsnwbrdr

DETROIT – General Motors' U.S. vehicle sales plunged 49 percent in January while Ford's sales dropped 40 percent, starting 2009 at an abysmal pace for the whole auto industry as lower sales to fleet buyers like rental car companies weighed down the results.

Toyota's sales dropped 32 percent for the month, and Honda's sales fell 28 percent, putting the overall industry on track for its fourth straight month in which U.S. sales plunged 30 percent or more.

But Subaru bucked the trend of declines for a second month in a row, posting an 8 percent sales increase, and Hyundai said its sales jumped 14 percent.

full story here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090203/ap_on_bi_ge/auto_sales

Subaru of America Inc. on Tuesday said its U.S. sales rose 8% in January as sharply higher volumes of its Forester sport utility vehicle offset weaker demand for the rest of its lineup.

Total January sales rose to 12,194 from 11,289 in January last year, according to the Japanese automaker's U.S. division. Last month, the company was the only major automaker to report an improvement in annual sales.

Sales of its top-selling Forester model more than doubled to 5,162 from 2,402. That improvement more than offset reduced demand for its Legacy, Outback, Impreza and Tribeca models.

full story here:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10461693/1/january-sales-up-for-subaru-down-for-daimler-vw.html?puc=_tscrss

From Subaru of America:

January -- 2009 -------2008 ------% chg

Legacy ......1165...........1451............-20%

Outback .....2515..........3435........... -27%

Impreza ......2937 .........3091.............-5%

Forester ......5162 .........2402 ........+115%

Tribeca .........415 ..........910 ...........-54%

Total ........12,194 ..........11,289..... +8%

Thank you Forester. We love you. :)

Hopefully this will persuade my family to get back into Subarus. Clearly they are on to something good. Now if the 2.5L was connected to betters transmissions we'd really have something.

One thing I have noticed about Subaru. They rely on their redesigned models. It wasn't all that long ago that Impreza was leading the pack and now it's down again. Forester is leading, but for how long? They need better refreshes or to advertise refreshed vehicles so that people know about them. I predict a year from now the Legacy will be leading the pack and Forester will be down.

Tribeca, woof, why would you buy one when you could have a cheaper, more efficient, more powerful Highlander? Subaru loyalty isn't quite donna do it.

Because the Highlander's AWD probably isn't as good as Subies, and as ugly as revision A of the tribeca was, revision B is more palatable than the chunky toyota Highlander.

A dark-color Tribeca isn't that bad looking, with the new front end. It isn't a supermodel of a car, but it is a CUV... it looks like a CUV. Forester similarly.

Impreza and Legacy Concept have the trouble on the appearance issue, and the Legacy concept won't effect sales until it becomes a production model.

I still think they could do even better if they were generally somewhat attractive designs, rather than having people choose them despite their designs.

Meh, Forester might have lasting power. Unlike the new Impreza which just got a new model bump, the Forester actually was made big enough/looks like competition versus the boxy wagon before.

More worried about the Tribeca. Having an unique engine in a slow-selling model doesn't work well for a small company like Subaru, at least the margins might be okay on it versus say an Impreza.

I'd really like to see something smaller than Impreza, something with AWD to fight the SX4, Versa, Fit hatch/wagon kinda thing on a shortened chassis. Could then use same chassis to make a small cute ute, something that's a bit more urban/fun than the Forester turned into, and something smaller than the Element/Scion have turned into... Kinda like how Nissan has Rogue (forester) and now the Cube (new smaller Subaru).

I know you keep saying that, SLegacy...

But I think it is much more likely to add DOHC and variable valve timing to the naturally aspirated 2.0 liter or 2.5 liter.

That would probably add flexibility and useability of a smaller, non-turbo, current-offering engine, rather than bringing back an engine that is not current.

I think we will start to see their base engines getting some attention and features to make them more flexible, especially if the the subaru coupe is back on the burner, and is slated for a 200hp 2.0 Boxer without a turbo.

People don't want an engine that really doesn't move the car well in traffic, because it is weak, but gets good cruising mileage. Weak is still weak, so they step it up to a 2.5 engine to stay competitive in the marketplace.

AVCS and dual cams on the 2.0 and 2.5 NA engines (perhaps even Direct Injection) would make them more flexible to offer more torque to have better traffic behavior, with a smaller engine that can adjust, and still be efficient at a cruising speed.

how is the Highlander chunky?

The previous model was worse granted, but this still looks about as aerodynamic as a truck.

The Tribeca, for what it is, isn't quite as brick-like. If I needed that sort of vehicle, I would certainly consider the Subie with VTD/VDC AWD. Lower CG with a boxer engine in a vehicle that tall has to be at least a little bit of a help for suspension roll. I'd get Black or Newport Blue, and paint the huge grille, though. Maybe smoke the headlights, Lower it a tad, and put some modest rollers on it... like my Legacy :D:lol: Tribeca GT, baby! :lol::lol::lol:

http://www.roadfly.com/new-cars/wp-content/uploads/gallery/2008-toyota-highlander/toyota-highlander.jpg

http://www.roadfly.com/new-cars/wp-content/uploads/gallery/subaru-tribeca-2008/subaru-tribeca.jpg

I just wonder if Legacy/Outback mirrors fit on the Tribeca. Those things are deployed speed brakes. :D

Actually, the Legacy Concept is so chunky that when I posted that picture, I started to wonder why the Legacy isn't more smooth like the Rev B Tribeca. It is not a good sign that the Concept has me taking a second look at a CUV, and I truly dislike CUVs on principle.

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/15152341/0901_03z+2009_subaru_legacy_concept+side_view.jpg

If they had scaled down the tribeca, and still kept the somewhat long lines, but kept a lower cowl and hood line, and a lower sedan roofline, the Legacy could have looked "ok". Maybe not stellar, but I am not sure Exiga's styling is a better donor.

It looks chunkier in terms of design language than the Tribeca does, despite the tribeca's larger size. Of course, with Legacy growing 3 inches in every direction, Tribeca might not be so much bigger anymore. :rolleyes:

I am not sure if having Legacy lead Tribeca, or Tribeca leading Legacy, both of them are in the sales cellar, and existing Legacy looks fairly good, and Tribeca's looks have been repaired, so aesthetics may not be the issue, other than a terrifically BAD first impression on Tribeca's part. Maybe if Subaru actually tried to SELL their cars...

Tribeca needs to sink before she sinks SOA...the Forester is only going to sell this well for so long.

The next gen Legacy is going to have to be the best car ever for it to keep the Tribeca affloat.

People need a reason to buy it, and fuel efficiency is still one, despite slumping gas prices. Perhaps low 200 HP range 4 cylinder turbo would do it. More and more automakers are adopting the idea of 4 cylinder CUVs. I think the Highlander with the 2.7L is rated for 20/27.

I just wonder if Legacy/Outback mirrors fit on the Tribeca. Those things are deployed speed brakes. :D

lol I think my Leggie has big air grabbin' sideviews.

Anyways, I think Subaru really hit the target with the new Forester. It has the looks of an suv which appeals to much more people and it looks bigger.

I was never a fan of the Tribeca. There's really nothing other than the styling that sets the Tribeca apart from similar suvs, which is why I hardly ever see them.

Another thing, Subaru has a performance trim for all of their vehicles except the Tribeca. I'd like to see a somewhat sporty Tribeca model in the future (maybe not to the level of a Trailblazer SS or def not SRT8) if it sticks around.

There is this: :lol:

http://www.tuningnews.net/article/080630/cobra-subaru-tribeca/

http://www.tuningnews.net/news/080630/cobra-subaru-tribeca-hr-01.jpg

http://www.tuningnews.net/news/080630/cobra-subaru-tribeca-hr-02.jpg

But I think you are probably asking for something like this:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/autoshows/chicago/2008/2009fordedgesport.html

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/autoshows/chicago/2008/2009fordedgesport.09fordedgesportf34.img.jpg

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/autoshows/chicago/2008/2009fordedgesport.09fordedgesportr34.img.jpg

SOA are a bunch of idiots PERIOD, the more I think about it the more convinced I become. Where the hell are the ads for the rest of the line-up? They are just sitting on their hands. They need to seriously start showing off the rest of the cars. -54% sales for the Tribeca? That's a fail right there.

Numerous reasons, I see (pulled a Yoda-speak on that one).

For example, a self-fulfilling prophecy. People may have lost faith in the current economic state of the big 3 so they are staying away. Subie = awd standard, you got a bunch of people migrating from big SUVs to something smaller and more sensible. I'll venture a guess and say test driving the Tribeca and Forester vis-a-vis fuel economy has them deciding the Forester fits the bill better. Hyundai has some pretty good SUV offering. Better reliability and warranty afaik.

I think part of it is Hyundai's warranty and perceived hunger for competition. They seem to be eager to build better cars. I think they are delivering on it with the newest stuff, including Genesis.

I think Subaru is getting a big push from the new Forester, and a little bit from the "new" impreza, but mostly by it's reputation of being a solid affordable car with a lot of real weather capability.

I get the nebulous impression that Outback is sliding a bit, in addition to Legacy and Tribeca being in the can, sales wise.

The new Outback will probably push a bit higher than the new Forester has. The Legacy Concept is trying to get a little word of mouth...

People need to get more exposure to the Legacy and Tribeca. Do people know that the Tribeca has been facelifted, if they aren't on this board, or Nasioc, or aren't shopping on car lots? Most people don't know what car I drive when they see it, and most think it is some odd WRX STI version they haven't seen, or something other than a Subaru entirely.

They need to do some good, straightforward ads. The Subaru Love ads are not bad at all, but they are impreza and Forester. Their BIG sellers anyway. Maybe they are big because they are advertized, maybe it isn't linked.

But perhaps they should show an ad that says if you like Impreza or Forester, we also make bigger cars, a new Outback, a new Legacy sedan, and 5 or 7 passenger Tribeca, all with Subaru value (competitive, rational prices) and values. (AWD and Boxer engines, reliability, "Love")

If they were to expose, and then SUPPORT their whole lineup, as a cohesive array, they might actually raise the sales of the trailing models, and keep their sales trends alive.

I think it is going to take a miracle for the Tribeca to bounce back from the original B9 model. My mom was recently shopping for an SUV and I suggested she should look at a Tribeca. She said, "Ugh those things are ugly!" I showed her an 09 model and she liked it better but still couldn't get over the old B9 stigma. Apparently that ugly front end is all they are remembered for.

I think Hyundai really attracted a lot of good attention with the new Genesis coupe/sedan. When it goes on sale here in the states, I'm expecting the coupe to be invading the roads everywhere like the G35 did 5 years ago. Of course they heavily advertise their warranties too, which attracts a lot of buyers.

The big 3 really screwed themselves. All of the compromises design teams make can really take the substance out of the end product. I had an 03 Taurus in college. Driving it was the driving equivalent of Al Gore discussing paint drying procedures. I'm eager to see the performance capabilities of Ford's new twin turbo V6.

GM really only has one car that would satisfy all of my needs and make me smile while driving and that's the CTS-V, which is way out of my league right now. I would buy a 3.6 CTS as a great DD, but then I'd need a weekend car to really have fun in. The same thing goes for the G8.

Archived