LegacyGT.com

Good knife set?

Jerboa113

Hey all you people that cook better than I do..

I'm sick and tired of knives that start off moderately sharp but quickly dull within a few uses. I'm also tired of having my "good knife" which becomes my dullest knife in a few months..

I want to get a nice knife set that will stay sharp longer or that I can at least sharpen myself.

Obviously since I cant cook for crap I dont need a thousand dollar knife set, but something nicer than "my first apartment" quality that I'm using right now.

Suggestions?

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Avoid toothed knives, it's not possible to sharpen them unless you are really patient.

And otherwise you may be better off to buy the knives one by one so you can get the model you want. Buy a grindstone too, since that will allow you to sharpen the knives before use.

And washing knives in the dishwasher makes them lose the sharpness over time.

http://www.bagarenochkocken.se/shop/bagarenochkocken/images/shop/ms5om_593.jpg

453747.png

Depending on your budget, you can start off with an entry level set from either Henkle's or Wustoff. Check your local Costco since they typically sell a good entry level set of "real" knives for less than $200.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10045499&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|89|56625|54920&N=4017663&Mo=8&pos=3&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=54920&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10598-Cat56625&topnav=

However, if you want to make a real investment, then consider buying them separately, as mentioned above. Most people will use a "Chef's" knife for 90% of all kitchen work. So if you spend $100 on a really good 8" or 10" Chef's knife, you will be set.

Check out Shun Cutlery for great knives at good prices. Can be found cheaper on-line than in stores. I personally use knives from their "Pro" line, which are made in the traditional Japanese style with only a single edge.

http://www.kershawknives.com/searchresults.php?search_by=category&search_value=22&brand=shun

What allows a knife to maintain an edge is the hardness of the steel. The softer the steel, the easier it is to get sharp, but the faster it loses its edge. Also, knives will lose an edge from mis-use. Always use on a cutting surface that is softer than the knife, such as wood (not granite, glass, etc...) Dishwashing does not ruin the edge, but the moisture and heat typically ruin the wood handles. For longest life, hand wash after every use.

Lastly, a good knife should only need to be sharpened once a year or so. However, they should be "steeled" every time they are used.

Good luck.

You probably only need a chefs knife and a paring knife. Get a wood cutting board a steel and a wet stone. Henckels hold an edge for a long time and can be trued when needed. Ive had mine for 23 years and good as new. 13 of those were in school and restaurants. Also never put a knife in the dishwasher. They only need to be cleaned off with hot water and wiped down.

Hey all you people that cook better than I do..

I'm sick and tired of knives that start off moderately sharp but quickly dull within a few uses. I'm also tired of having my "good knife" which becomes my dullest knife in a few months..

I want to get a nice knife set that will stay sharp longer or that I can at least sharpen myself.

Obviously since I cant cook for crap I dont need a thousand dollar knife set, but something nicer than "my first apartment" quality that I'm using right now.

Suggestions?

I suggest buying individual knives and only buying ones you can actually hold in your hand. You will know when you find the right design, it will just feel right in your hand.

I prefer high carbon, non stainless. It stays sharper longer, but will stain/rust if not cared for.

I bought two Sabatier knives at a Yemassee, SC (just of 95) Sabatier outlet. They were a good price and fit me (small hands) like a glove.

Another place for good deals is at flea markets. You would be suprised at the buys you can find. Heck, nobody wants an old stained knife (that could cost $100 retail:lol:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

wow, thanks for the info yall.

I dont know what "steeled" means.

I think at this point in my life I'd be best off getting a knife that is lower maintenance. I have a set of cheapy steak knives that do fine, I mainly am looking for something that can easily cut meats and veggies.

I have a cutting board that is a plastic or lexan.Its pretty soft. Is that sufficient?

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Thought I'd add my .02... I've had many different companies wares and figured I could help.

All of the advise found above is good. Especially #8 and 9...only buy what you need and don't be afraid of the individual knife cost...they will pay for themselves over time!

In general, Japanese knifes hold their edge longer but are harder to sharpen once dull. German knifes can be honed to extreme sharpness but they must be maintained with steel to keep them sharp.

I personally have Henckels Twin Cuisines. I have big hands so the larger heavier handles are nice to hold. I REALLY like Global and Shun but got over-rulled by the wife when we went shopping.

what is "steeled"??

I like my cutcos...but then again I did not buy them :)

Steeled refers to using a steel on the knife blade to maintain or straiten the cutting edge that may have rolled over.

For a really dull knife this will do no good, but for a reasonably sharp knife it will help maintain the edge.

For actual resharpening you would need a sharpening stone. I prefer a good Japanese water stone for this type of work with a coarse, medium, and fine grit. Then follow up by stropping the edge on leather with some jewelers rouge on it. If you know what you are doing you can make a knife with good steel razor sharp.

If you live by a kitchen supply store, you can't beat [ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=russell+knife&x=0&y=0]Dexter-Russell knives[/ame]. They are the knives that are usually used in restaurants. Keep their edge and are pretty inexpensive. I got a 10" and a 7" knife, and a simple knife sharpener like [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-2-Stage-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B0009NMVRI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1233665459&sr=8-3]this one[/ame] and they are both still cutting well. I run them through the sharpener 2-3 times before I start using them, and I think they were like $5-$10 each. I love these knives, and use them just about every day.

Guest heightsgtltd

Good advice in here.

I'd throw in a couple more points

You don't need a full set. Unless you are at a VERY high price point, you are better off buying 2 or maybe 3 really good knives instead. When you buy a set at a lower price point you sacrifice quality for quantity

One brand that I love and flies under the radar is messermeister

Check them out

Definitely buy single knives, not a set. And I also agree that you need some type of sharpener, be it a stone or other commercial product. No decent knife will stay sharp for very long.

America's Test Kitchen (PBS) recommends the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/R-H-Forschner-Victorinox-8-Inch-Fibrox/dp/B000638D32/ref=pd_sim_k_3]Victorianox [/ame]chefs knife as a best value and all-around performer. These are the folks who publish Cook's Illustrated and they offer great advice.

If you want a serrated knife that is always sharp and can really slice through a lot, a $3 Ginzu knife is the way to go.

Remember to use the steel on your blade, like Philly and Penguin have said, to maintain the edge, and you'll get more uses out of it before it needs to be sharpened.

The Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker makes easy work of sharpening blades, even serrated ones. I spend less than 10 minutes a week, on the Tri-Angle, with my EDC (a re-profiled, customized, non-serrated Emerson Mini-Commander), and as everyone can attest to, it's sharp. :) It works great on kitchen knives, too.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Don't mean to hijack, DF, but anyone recommend a good 2-piece Santoku knife set? Is Calphalon a good brand?

Was looking at this

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=14669

np. I have nothing more to add. I got more info here than I was ready for. :lol:

For now I'm just going to keep the thread in my subscriptions list and reference it again next month probably. I can get by on my current knife.. which I'm immediately going to stop putting in the dishwasher.

I have the Shun knives and are the best I have ever used. You can buy 1 at a time since they are expensive. They will last a lifetime and are an absolute joy to use. I cook more than I used to just to get my hands on them.

Don't mean to hijack, DF, but anyone recommend a good 2-piece Santoku knife set? Is Calphalon a good brand?

Was looking at this

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=14669

I've got a couple of Calphalon knives, a larger chef's knife, 9" probably, and a smaller santoku. I'm not sure if mine are the same model as your link but they have worked well for at least three years with minimal maintenance. I rarely use the small santoku because it's harder to keep part of the blade on the board when cutting larger items. I like the chef's knife but I'd change up and get a larger santoku if I could do it over.

I've been very happy with our Henckels that are now +16 years old. I do the yearly sharpening and steel before every use. I did just pick up a new "Shun Classic 9-inch bread knife the my brother (Chef and is up for New Chef of the year in Food & Wine) turned me onto a couple months back.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21956VY1QCL._SS400_.jpg

What I love about this knife is that the points are rounded off so it slices through bread very nicely. I have also used it to pull though beef with great ease.

All great suggestions here.

One other suggestion would be to go into a highend kitchen store and talk them about what you typical knife use might entail and that person would probably have some great suggestions.

Cheers,

Mike

Archived