LegacyGT.com

Launch or stall?

I have not stalled mine in a while, but yea if you try to be a hero and save it and fail, it makes a damn loud metal on metal thunk noise. I hope it has no adverse effect but I doubt that it will. Anyone looked at 3rd party clutches for the GT? I don't see mine lasting too long as it is...

unless you are adding lots more power and such, the stock clutch should be fine. Of course the 6k dump won't help things, but for MOST people, the stock clutch should last a while...

Haven't stalled it in a while, i usually try and save it if thats the case. It has happened maybe 3-4 times though, most were right after i got the car, getting used to it.

I want more of a grippy feeling from the clutch as well as better heat resistance than the stocker. I don't do clutch drops for fear of breaking something, but I do seem to be wearing this clutch down faster than i expected. It will be some time before I look into it fully, but I was just wondering if other people had explored 3rd party clutches at all for our cars.

It ain't about stank - it's about ME!!! :lol:

Specifically, my feeling selfconcious because I've stalled about 10 times as much in the last 5,287 miles than I have in the last 26 years of driving combined!

I'm not looking for a resolution, just to know I'm not the only one trying to pop it or reach for the ignition after trying to over-baby the clutch.

Ain't whining...

Basically a higher than normal rev situation for me.

Dale, I also have about 30 years of driving manual trans, on at least 15 different models...never have I had to have so much finesse. Even if you do get it right under "normal" conditions, there's the occasional factor that makes you mess up (classic example: backing out from a parking spot, while turning sharply, in deep snow; you have to either rev higher or fear stalling it).

My wife also has 25+ years of driving manual; she just can't master this clutch, so I don't feel comfortable letting her drive unless it's necessary....that ain't right!

I've got approx 10K miles, on a June 04 build car. In the past 8 months, I've probably stalled the car 2-3 times/month, and had 5-6 cases of supreme stink.

I must say that since I did my AP upgrade, there's much less fear of stalling, so less need to rev high, and thus, NO STINK.

I don't know what ya'll are whining about, I play hard with my car daily and I don't get stink.

18,300miles and counting. :)

doh, beating me by 1,400 miles.. that's what happens when I am sick for 2 weeks stuck at home :/

Keefe

Keefe

Clutch slipped again this evening pulling away from a traffic light. Started the roll-on at about 1500 rpm and as the clutch came out, I added more accelerator. Clutch stopped moving about half-way out through its normal throw, halfway between all the way in and all the way out.

The clutch started to slip as I could see, and hear, the revs climbing but the car was not accelerating at all, just barely moving. And of course, I had the wonderful stench that goes with the burning clutch disk. Revs only got up to about 4500 and about 20 mph, before I stuffed the clutch and shifted into 2nd gear. This time the clutch came all the way out and engaged somewhat normally

I'm really glad this is getting replaced next week as I'm very concerned that this slip is going to come at a time when I absolutely need the car to move and it can't/won't. I'm already hesitant about any kind of off-the-line quick maneuvers (in traffic) as I don't know now how the car will react.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Clutch slipped again this evening pulling away from a traffic light. Started the roll-on at about 1500 rpm and as the clutch came out, I added more accelerator. Clutch stopped moving about half-way out through its normal throw, halfway between all the way in and all the way out.

The clutch started to slip as I could see, and hear, the revs climbing but the car was not accelerating at all, just barely moving. And of course, I had the wonderful stench that goes with the burning clutch disk. Revs only got up to about 4500 and about 20 mph, before I stuffed the clutch and shifted into 2nd gear. This time the clutch came all the way out and engaged somewhat normally

I'm really glad this is getting replaced next week as I'm very concerned that this slip is going to come at a time when I absolutely need the car to move and it can't/won't. I'm already hesitant about any kind of off-the-line quick maneuvers (in traffic) as I don't know now how the car will react.

SBT

That just sounds scary dangerous...:(

This is what happens to mine sometimes, but I can never prove it to my dealer. Subietonic, how did you get subaru to replace it, or is some one else putting a new clutch in for you? It has happened 4 or 5 times now and my clutch, although no longer smelly, is not grippy like it was the first few months.

Here's a good exercise to help get the feel of the LGT clutch - see if it helps you. I noticed when changing from our WRX that I needed to spend some quality time with the car, and tried this - it helped a ton:

1.) go to a parking lot, or just on a residential street with stop signs that you can practice starting and rolling slowly on... someplace where you can drive slowly and stop if you want to.

2.) Now - on LEVEL ground, get into first gear, and get the car moving.

3.) Next, Let the car SLOW to where it is almost idling along, with you almost not (or even not at all) touching the gas. NOTE how slowly you are going!!!

4.) Now, recognize this - the speed you are going right now, is all the faster that you have to get the car to roll before you are completely (completely!) off the clutch. As you think about it, this is a bit of a revelation.

In most cases, I was using too much gas to get the car started. I never got the clutch stink, but maybe it was because I tried this exercise... My normal technique is to give the car a very little gas, as I feather the clutch to get the car rolling only this fast... THEN let the clutch out all the way - at around 2 or 3 mph. Then if you want, you can romp on it.

After a little bit of practice, it is actually a good, quick way to launch in everyday driving. Sure, on uphills, you need to feather it more or use a little more gas - but after this exercise I'd be you can see that you can use half the gas that you have been.

To answer an earlier question - with the LGT I'd hedge towards stalling rather than feathering - err on letting the clutch out faster with less gas.

DISCLAIMER: Anything involving clutching can be a sore / personal subject. Everyone has something they can improve on in their driving. I've driven competitiively but will admit that I have some bad habits around my own clutching / launches. Maybe that's why I was open enough to work on it hard with the LGT.

Anyway - hope this little exercise helps!

Ken Cole

Rally Performance

PS - got horrible clutch stink when a clueless family member tested out my car at 1500 miles.... he "knew how to drive standard" but revved the car to 5500 RPMs and feathered the clutch in and out repeatedly. When he finally dropped it we got wheelspin on all four and got sideways, wreathed in clutch smoke. I couldn't believe it. He wouldn't admit that it was him, of course....

Guest turboman

I'm sure getting tired of having little old ladies in mini-vans leave me behind at a stop light.

It's either that, or, worrying about stalling, and the guy behind me, assuming I'm a normal driver that accelerates when the light changes, rams into me.

I haven't experience "the stink" as of yet, and while hopefully it will stay that way, I just turned over 1100 miles so now I can experience a little more spirited driving.

As for the stalling is general, unfortunately i've stalled this car twice in those 1100 miles, which has resulted in a large amount of cursing, followed by concern for the future mechanical health of the car. (I'm not entirely clear on what sort of negative impact stalling a MT has :confused: ). The first was due to the incorrect assumtion that the car was in neutral when it was actually in first.... dropped the clutch.... *crunch*. The second was the result of not applying enough gas while backing out of a parking lot :(

From an overall perspective, I find the clutch of this vehicle to be substantially easier to operate than any of my previous vehicles... If you want experience stink and stalling, try driving a Porsche 968 through rush hour traffic :mad:

-----

Domain

Here's a good exercise to help get the feel of the LGT clutch - see if it helps you. I noticed when changing from our WRX that I needed to spend some quality time with the car, and tried this - it helped a ton:

1.) go to a parking lot, or just on a residential street with stop signs that you can practice starting and rolling slowly on... someplace where you can drive slowly and stop if you want to.

2.) Now - on LEVEL ground, get into first gear, and get the car moving.

3.) Next, Let the car SLOW to where it is almost idling along, with you almost not (or even not at all) touching the gas. NOTE how slowly you are going!!!

4.) Now, recognize this - the speed you are going right now, is all the faster that you have to get the car to roll before you are completely (completely!) off the clutch. As you think about it, this is a bit of a revelation.

In most cases, I was using too much gas to get the car started. I never got the clutch stink, but maybe it was because I tried this exercise... My normal technique is to give the car a very little gas, as I feather the clutch to get the car rolling only this fast... THEN let the clutch out all the way - at around 2 or 3 mph. Then if you want, you can romp on it.

After a little bit of practice, it is actually a good, quick way to launch in everyday driving. Sure, on uphills, you need to feather it more or use a little more gas - but after this exercise I'd be you can see that you can use half the gas that you have been.

To answer an earlier question - with the LGT I'd hedge towards stalling rather than feathering - err on letting the clutch out faster with less gas.

DISCLAIMER: Anything involving clutching can be a sore / personal subject. Everyone has something they can improve on in their driving. I've driven competitiively but will admit that I have some bad habits around my own clutching / launches. Maybe that's why I was open enough to work on it hard with the LGT.

Anyway - hope this little exercise helps!

Ken Cole

Rally Performance

PS - got horrible clutch stink when a clueless family member tested out my car at 1500 miles.... he "knew how to drive standard" but revved the car to 5500 RPMs and feathered the clutch in and out repeatedly. When he finally dropped it we got wheelspin on all four and got sideways, wreathed in clutch smoke. I couldn't believe it. He wouldn't admit that it was him, of course....

Ken,

Good overview and I couldn't have written it better myself. This is exactly how I drive all of my current MT Subaru's including the 98 LGT and the 96 OBS both of which are AWD. I've been driving MT Subaru AWD since the early 70s so I've got a really great feel for how the AWD system takes up.

Beyond that, I spent mucho time picking through the minor nuances with this new LGT. They're not that much different from one to the other. The DBW system was a snap to learn and I typically roll off with a less than 1000 rpm blip on the throttle to get me "engaged and then rowing through the gears.

But the one instance of the pedal locking halfway out was enough to convince me that something was rotten in Denmark err, Indiana. Here's my post http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=132862&postcount=22 describing what happened. It's the same thing that happened again tonight.

Until I ascertain differently, I'm more than a little convinced that the introduction of the CDV in the hydraulic clutch system is causing many experienced MT drivers to suffer from less than stellar clutch engagement. It's causing delayed/incomplete clutch engagement topped off with a healthy dose (in many cases) of noxious/nauseous clutch, and in my case, it's causing the clutch pedal to lock midway between engaged and disengaged.

BTW - I'm the only one who drives this car so I have catalogued everything that has happened to/with it since I received it off the truck with 10 miles or so on the odo.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I too have yet to experience the clutch stink. Haven't yet dumped the clutch after revving the engine to 3K+ rpm, though I have no plans to do that. 1500 miles now, and I've spent a fair amount of time in stop n go traffic, and there's a steep incline after a (usually) red light on my way home. Haven't yet stalled it either. Of couse, now that I wrote this....

• 3 weeks later...

SBT: I just had the halfway engagement issue last night for the first time. It was a fast launch at about 3k and I was expecting to get the smell, however was shocked that the clutch pedal stuck halfway up and the engine just redlined without any acceleration. Had to push the clutch pedal to the floor and let off again before the engagement was full. This is dangerous!!!!! I haven't been able to repeat this -- were you able to get a subi tech to repeat this for you???

Thanks,

Joe

Let's just say that today I stalled 4 times...every time in the heaviest of most super heavy traffic and heavy rain inching up...during my 2 hour for 15 miles drive home. My legs were getting tired and refused to press the pedals properly.

Archived