LegacyGT.com

Launch or stall?

Mine smelled for the first 300 miles or so, so I babied it for the next 700 miles. Now I have smelled it a little once when I launched it hard to get in the lane I needed. That was fun, it just blasted off the line. Outside of that, no smell @ 1100 miles

Mine's a LOT less odiferious than it was for the first 400 miles or so when it was pretty bad, but I can still detect it - of course I can smell somebody smoking in the car in front of me on the highway with the windows closed (But officer, I had to pass - the second hand smoke... it's a matter of health.)

Does it stop stinking after you reach the 500 post mark on legacygt.com ;) or did you do something so it doesn't stink?

Mine stopped stinking after about 500 miles on it's own. Figured it had to do with the break in.

Mine still stinks a tiny bit, but not as much as it did when I first got it. I'm attributing this to my learning how to drive the car to avoid it, not by a mechanical change after break in or anything. I know that if I'm not careful, the stink will come back, and I have also stalled the car on numerous occasions trying to avoid it. Not much you can do about it though I guess.

I guess I spoke too soon. This moring I did a really hard stop because my son wanted to know about anti-lock brakes. I got the smell real strong. My son said he wanted to throw up. I thought this was supposed to be a clutch smell not a brake smell. Maybe I didn't hit the clutch fast enough. @ 40mph I slammed on the brake and then the clutch and woah it was baad!

I have to drive up a lot of hills, I still have the 'stink' at 6000 miles. I also find I stall the car trying not to let the clutch slip. I don't know what's more embarrassing, stalling or the smell! :lol:

tom

tom :)

I guess I spoke too soon. This moring I did a really hard stop because my son wanted to know about anti-lock brakes. I got the smell real strong. My son said he wanted to throw up. I thought this was supposed to be a clutch smell not a brake smell. Maybe I didn't hit the clutch fast enough. @ 40mph I slammed on the brake and then the clutch and woah it was baad!

It's amazing what people do to their cars, seriously you need a filter change...

#########

# 4 ur brain.#

#########

I keed I keeed

cake or death?

Sorry, I couldn't resist - the original post title reminded me of an Eddie Izzard comedy skit.

Anyway, the clutch stink problem has already gotten a lot of press. I get the impression we're beating a dead (albeit smelly) horse. I still get the clutch stink occasionally (@5k miles) and I've stalled the car out trying to baby it. But, we're a pretty adaptable species so I'm betting the humans will get the better of the clutch eventually.

By the way...I choose cake.

Rodman, the clutch shouldnt stink unless you are slipping it. Brakes can smell bad too if you brake really hard and at higher speeds where the heat just builds up.

My suggestion to everyone is to learn how to do perfect timing clutch releases. Everything should be smooth and the rpms should not rev up and drop from the clutch coming in contact. The car shouldnt stall either if you let the clutch off at a slower rate. The left foot MUST have the same amount of high level foot control as the right foot. It really sux to have one lead-foot, but two lead feet really sucks.

Keefe

Keefe

It ain't about stank - it's about ME!!! :lol:

Specifically, my feeling selfconcious because I've stalled about 10 times as much in the last 5,287 miles than I have in the last 26 years of driving combined!

I'm not looking for a resolution, just to know I'm not the only one trying to pop it or reach for the ignition after trying to over-baby the clutch.

Geeze now Keefe thinks I can't drive :(

I park in a REALLY tight ramp garage at work with 2 1/2 foot concrete supports every three spaces - I generally notice it trying to back in or out without clipping a mirror - probably because I'm sitting right over the smell and and not driving right by it...

And while my double clutch in a straight cut dog box may not be what it was, or should be, my left-foot-work ain't all that bad...

it's ok, I still stall out from time to time too (usually happens more when the car is driven more than 1 hour through traffic and trying to creep the car into the parking spot). It's just practice and getting use to a different clutch than the WRX.

Keefe

Keefe

i've stalled out a few times, but usually its either a result of pedal placement not being what i'm used to, or just not paying attention on my part. THe clutch itself releases very similar to my old se-r so that part isnt so bad.

still no clutch stink though :)

I think I got a little too much of the Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) "delay" last week. After 40 years of driving a manual transmission, I finally found out what it's like when a clutch slips big time.

I had rolled up to a stop sign and immediately in front of the stop sign was a large dip (deep and wide water run off dip at the intersection). As I started to roll forward from the stop I dropped into the dip, quickly clutched in, and immediately hit a ridge on the other side of the dip.

When I hit the ridge, the car bumped up and back forcing my gas pedal down and my clutch pedal up. Basically a higher than normal rev situation for me.

When the clutch snapped out, the pedal only came about halfway out and stopped. The RPM's kept going up and the car wasn't going anywhere with my foot now completely off the clutch pedal, but the clutch only halfway engaged.

I now know what you all mean by clutch stank. It was enough to make me gag and definitely made me sick to my stomach. It was the most rancid smell I think I've every associated with a vehicle and it lasted all afternoon and into the evening, even with the windows open and the roof vented.

I noticed immediately afterwards, that the clutch engagement point had changed and now took more pedal release to get the same roll-off. I also have slight "chatter" when I engage. So I suspect that the clutch surface has been worn down at least 1/8" or better.

I took it in the next day and talked to the master tech. He mentioned the CDV as a possible causal factor and wants to inspect the clutch. He told me to give Subaru customer care a call too and get a case opened on this issue and then give him a call back to set up an appointment to get it checked out.

I'll let you all know what he says.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I am at 6500 miles and still get the smell. Heavy traffic or backing up a hill will do it every time.

As for stalling, I still stall this car. It is a great car, but it has one of the strangest clutches I have ever used. I am getting used to it, but I think Subaru should take this one back to the engineers for some refining. The engage point is very high on my car. So you have 90% dead travel, then everything happens in the last 10%. Not very forgiving if you are off a bit on your timing.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an older post... but was wondering if stalling can cause any damage to the engine? Just curious, becasue sometimes its loud/hard you know. I always wonder if its adding much more stress on the trans and engine... I had a bit trouble getting used to this clutch as well asfter my WRX, but Have finally figured it out... I just always look back to that first week and stalling it like 10 times, and think oh man I hope that didn't casue any long term damage...

John D.

John D.

Archived