LegacyGT.com

Longest lasting Stage 2

Hi Everyone,

Tried numerous searches but didn't come up with any answers.

I just picked up a new 08 Spec B this week, and I am hoping to keep it for 200k+ miles :spin: I'm not looking into breaking any boost level records, I just want to do a basic stage 2 setup that will last me a long time.

I've read all the reviews in the reviews section and the tuning/turbo section, but i'm wondering if anyone can comment on the durability of their stage 2 setup? Who has been in stage 2 the longest, and have you had any major problems?

Is it worth upgrading to the 7yr/100k mile warranty, or if my turbo blows at 90k miles, can they blame it on the stage 2 work even if i bring everything back to stock?

Honestly, can we stop with the Spec B bullshit? We are ALL not vimy. And any time people ask a serious question about the Spec B, all the jokesters come out of the woodwork with the "teh spec b is teh greAt3st car evAr" crap.

Yes, we all know that A FEW spec b owners out there think their car is infinitely better than an LGT, but most don't. We're Legacy owners too, asking questions just like you guys do. Jesus h.

Hi Everyone,

Tried numerous searches but didn't come up with any answers.

I just picked up a new 08 Spec B this week, and I am hoping to keep it for 200k+ miles :spin: I'm not looking into breaking any boost level records, I just want to do a basic stage 2 setup that will last me a long time.

I've read all the reviews in the reviews section and the tuning/turbo section, but i'm wondering if anyone can comment on the durability of their stage 2 setup? Who has been in stage 2 the longest, and have you had any major problems?

Is it worth upgrading to the 7yr/100k mile warranty, or if my turbo blows at 90k miles, can they blame it on the stage 2 work even if i bring everything back to stock?

The key to that is getting the right tune. Get a pro tune and then log it to double check your tuner's work. You can specify that you don't want a very aggressive tune and your tuner will accomidate you.

I would skip the extended warranty as the chances of using it are relatively low. Even if you do have to replace a turbo, if you spend $1300 on a warranty and repair is $1500 you are only $200 ahead. And with that $200 ahead you risked $1300 of your money.

However if it makes you feel good go for it. I think that is what extended warranties are for.

If you dont think more than 1 thing in a 100k miles is gonna brake on your drive train your crazy. What if a tranny goes like so many our thanks to the throw out bearing. thats alto more than 1500 in damages and if you pay 1100-1300 for it you have already got your money back and prob 1300 more.

Honestly, can we stop with the Spec B bullshit? We are ALL not vimy. And any time people ask a serious question about the Spec B, all the jokesters come out of the woodwork with the "teh spec b is teh greAt3st car evAr" crap.

Yes, we all know that A FEW spec b owners out there think their car is infinitely better than an LGT, but most don't. We're Legacy owners too, asking questions just like you guys do. Jesus h.

:whore:

Buying the extended warranty is a gamble.

In my particular case, I bought it, and now I regret it. I am thinking about canceling it.

I've been stage 2 for about 45k miles. No issues and I'm still on the original clutch (total miles on car = 67000). But then I'm not "on it" all of the time. In fact, I'm generally easy on my car. No hard starts. I like stage 2 for the extra torque in daily driving and occassionaly use it for excessive fun :). If you're beating the car on a daily basis, stage 2 may cause much more wear and tear on the TMIC (end tanks popping off due to high boost), clutch wear, etc.

Btw, I've got a PDX standard stage 2 map.

Honestly, can we stop with the Spec B bullshit?

:whore:

Agree. It's so worn it's annoying.

To the OP: all is in the tune and maintenance. Get the car tuned by someone who REALLY knows the stuff. Then do logging YOURSELF. Learn about tuning enough to verify proper operation and post logs here, people will help.

I don't like extended warranties.

Need to have all copies of all service or they might refuse you. You deal with shoddy work in most cases. At the 100K+ point, having a regular tech monkey-fisting around in an engine bay usually leads to additional problems once the original one is fixed.

After a few years, aftermarket ususally has better options available than what the OEM has to offer if there's a weakness issue in a part, especially if it is performance-related.

200K on a gasoline force injected motor is pushing it from the I perspective, even one that is fairly low-stressed like the LGT is from the factory. Either the engine will just be "tired" and down on power, or something will fail.

This is something I am thinking about, I am looking at a certified LGT wagon. While I do not plan to heavily mod the car, I would most likely want to upgrade to stage 1, plus upgrades to suspension etc.

I thought they could only deny warranty claims if they could prove the aftermarket part caused the failure? Which I am sure most dealers would probably try.

My last (current) car is a dog, I did not get an extended warranty, so its something I want to look into with an LGT purchase. Are aftermarket warranties more mod friendly?

I have never had a extended warrenty refused and i have done all regular maintainence to all my cars. Also how do you get shotty work, its not like you have to go to 1 shop, you get to choose as long as they accept your warrenty which most dealers do. If your not buying new i would get an extended warrenty. Alot happens to cars after 60kmiles. Extended warrenty are not mod friendly, the warrenty company usually sends an employee to oversee the shop whos doing the work. And they will call out anything they dont like.

My car is Stage II but , as some others have commented I'm not driving like I stole it daily. I use good fliuds, change them on time ( or before) dont generaly beat my car.

I expect that It will last me a good long time. Im at 72,000 now and at Stage II since 30K.

I have never had a extended warrenty refused and i have done all regular maintainence to all my cars.

Ayup, all recipes and at the correct intervals for oil is the the most important, they will be looking. If you've done that, great.

Also how do you get shotty work, its not like you have to go to 1 shop, you get to choose as long as they accept your warrenty which most dealers do.

I only trust one dealer within 50 miles of my place for powertrain work. Everybody else has screwed things up in one way or another. I trust local mechanics much more so than the local dealer. If you have a great dealer near you, then an extended warranty might be for you.

And true, I bought new, probably the only car I will buy new, but as you said, lots can happen in 60K, especially with a turbo car.

Thanks for all the great feedback, and no offense taken by the spec.b jokes. I lol at the LGT vs Spec.B thread.

So all i'm planning to do for now is the DP, AP, and sways for extra kick/control. Is pro tuning really that necessary for those low level mods? Or should the Cobb/PDX OTS maps be fine.

For the warranty, I haven't had time yet to sit down and analyze the differences between the extended 100k and the regular powertrain 100k.

Also, is the pre-paid 3yr prev. maintenance worth it for $1900? Are those various mileage interval services that important?

Screw up the warranty. One - teh dealers monkeys are clueless and the dealers always look for reason to deny warranty. Two - if you modified your car - it's unethical to cover up your mods in order to take advantage of the warranty.

You gotta pay to play.

woah woah who brought ethics to the table? ;)

i find the spec B jokes kinda funny, interesting to see the new things people can make up to say it is superior. i havent been around as long as some of you so i dont know how long it has been going on, but it shouldn't bother you that much....laugh and move on...

Archived