LegacyGT.com

New stereo install with pics

idontknow

Great looking install! I was waiting for somebody to ask the question, but I guess I will jump in. What does it cost to get the something like that for the legacy, just the screen and associated parts if you don't mind me asking. Also could you go into more detail as to how the stock head unit interacts with the screen. Sorry for the newb questions.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the term for smoothing out lines? Anti-lacing? Or something to that extent. Does your install not have the ability to do that? I'm curious, as if I proceeded with this upgrade, I would hope the new nav setup would be more current in tech/screen resolution over stock (like the current WRXs and Foresters).

Great looking install! I was waiting for somebody to ask the question, but I guess I will jump in. What does it cost to get the something like that for the legacy, just the screen and associated parts if you don't mind me asking. Also could you go into more detail as to how the stock head unit interacts with the screen. Sorry for the newb questions.

You have a PM.

The stock head unit speaker outputs plug DIRECTLY into the V500. The V500 comes with an adapter that you connect to the stock head unit speaker outputs that plugs into the V500. It then uses the stock head unit signal as an input. Make sense?

What is the term for smoothing out lines? Anti-lacing? Or something to that extent. Does your install not have the ability to do that? I'm curious, as if I proceeded with this upgrade, I would hope the new nav setup would be more current in tech/screen resolution over stock (like the current WRXs and Foresters).

Not sure about the anti-lacing term. I don't know if the installer did it or not, but I'm very happy with the job they did.

I haven't seen the stock nav systems, so I can't judge which is the better picture. There is a cool feature about the kenwood nav system. You can download a pic of the color of LGT you have and it will show up on the nav screen instead of some lame arrow. You should double check me on this, but I'm pretty sure the LGT's are available.

• 3 months later...

Great job on your install. Picked up a NP Blue 09 Legacy Wagon 2 weeks ago! love the car.

I have speakers, amps and subs from my old car and your install just decided the H/U for me. No need to drop another 5 bills for jdm nav bezel and relocator brackets.

What did you do with the info display under the cubby hole?

The screen height covers the info display... did you have to clear that out to make it fit?

I plan on keeping this car but don't want to hack the center console if i ever need to sell it. Maybe stock the center cubby console since the next gen legacys are coming out.

What did you do with the info display under the cubby hole?

The screen height covers the info display... did you have to clear that out to make it fit?

Congrats on the purchase!

The info display is gone. The screen takes up the full width of the cubby hole and the height of the cubby and the info display. I've considered getting a friend to fiberglass an info display holder to fit above the rear view mirror, but haven't had time to do it yet.

I plan on keeping this car but don't want to hack the center console if i ever need to sell it. Maybe stock the center cubby console since the next gen legacys are coming out.

I'll let the system go when I sell it. By the time I sell this car there will be much better technology out there for car stereo system, which I'm sure I'll want to get my hands on. Besides, the screen and all the goodies really knock people's socks off which I'm sure may be a big selling point.

I think you mean "anti-aliasing" - which is what smooths out the pixelated lines of a digital image.

I really do the like the way that all comes together, I'm just having a hard time justifying the price difference between just buying a factory nav and retrofitting.

if you just want nav, don't go this route. I wanted to control the radio, cd player, sat radio, bluetooth, and external hard drive from one place and this was the best way to do it. It also allows for two video inputs and two outputs, and nav if you want it. good luck on your decision.

I want nav, ipod, xm and bluetooth....my thought is I can splice the factory xm and factory ipod control to work with a toggle switch and use a seperate intergrated blue tooth device. Then I'll use an Alpine Imprint and Audio Control Overdrive to feed a Alpine 5 channel amp.

I want nav, ipod, xm and bluetooth....my thought is I can splice the factory xm and factory ipod control to work with a toggle switch and use a seperate intergrated blue tooth device. Then I'll use an Alpine Imprint and Audio Control Overdrive to feed a Alpine 5 channel amp.

Do you already have factory nav? It looks like you are thinking of retrofitting factory nav. The CarPortal product would be a great product for everything you want to do and it could still be used with PXE-H650 Alpine and there would no longer be a need to use the Alpine remote to control the volume. If you are looking to retrofit OEM nav, I can't imagine the CarPortal set-up would be much, if any, more expensive. The CarPortal would also have superior iPod control/integration and a better nav interface.

I currently own one of the few Highline dash kits in existence and I've seriously thought about going back to the OEM radio with a CarPortal screen in the cubby. It's a great product. The only downfall I see with it is for some reason (not that I care for my needs) Kenwood found no reason to offer a DVD player or changer that can be integrated with and controlled by the KOSV main units.

I looked at it again, and you're correct. The variable for me is whether or not I'm going with the 08 SpecB or the 09 LGT - I'll know for sure by the end of the month. If I go with the SpecB then I'll go the Imprint/Overdrive route. If not I'll go with the carportal. In the end I think I'll be much happier with a full aftermarket set up, I really appreciate the adjustablility and expandability of the full Alpine set up I have now.

The only thing that seems like a draw back about the carportal is the limited eq, are there any add ons to expand the capabilities?

The only thing that seems like a draw back about the carportal is the limited eq, are there any add ons to expand the capabilities?

No, but there is no reason you cannot use the PXE-H650 (IMPRINT) with the CarPortal product. The PXE-H650 accepts line-level (RCAs) as well as speaker level from a factory radio. The difference is if you go in via speaker-level, then the processor performs an equalization to make the signal flat at a predetermined volume level, necessitating you use the Alpine remote control for volume. If you go in line-level from a car portal, aftermarket head-unit etc. then you can use the volume control on the source unit.

If you do get the OEM navigation you should look at the Alpine VehicleHub Pro as well. I'm not suggesting it over the CarPortal product, but it is another option.

A few questions. What is the difference between the KOS-V500 and V1000? I've looked and couldn't see anything really different. On your pictures you have one for zone control. Would that be something that would allow you to lsiten to say the radio up front and then the kids can listen/watch DVD in back at the same time (assuming you had a seperate dvd input setup already)?

Regarding the info display, is there a way to maybe make that one of the inputs on the V500 and have it display that info onscreen. Just a thought.

Kyle

A few questions. What is the difference between the KOS-V500 and V1000? I've looked and couldn't see anything really different. On your pictures you have one for zone control. Would that be something that would allow you to lsiten to say the radio up front and then the kids can listen/watch DVD in back at the same time (assuming you had a seperate dvd input setup already)?

Regarding the info display, is there a way to maybe make that one of the inputs on the V500 and have it display that info onscreen. Just a thought.

Kyle

I can't remember what the difference between the 500 and 1000 was, but the $200 difference certainly wasn't worth it what ever it was.

The zone control is designed to do just that. You can listed to Sat radio up front and the kids can listen to the DVD player in the back. BUT, from what I hear if you have a small car (like a Subaru Legacy) the two zones are too close to each other to seperate them from the other. So you'll be listening to Dora the Explorer mindlessly repeating the points on the map and Death Cab for Cutie's Grapevine Fires at the same time. If you have a minivan then I would say go for it, else I would look for monitors that have wireless headphones.

There are two video inputs, but I think it's only a control unit and doesn't actually show video on the 7" touch screen. It'll take video in and send it somewhere, but you can't see video on the touch screen itself. I could be wrong, but I think that was one of the drawbacks to this unit when I bought it. If you figure it out I'd like to know.

• 2 weeks later...

Kyle

It's an Excelon piece so it has a better amplifier section in it. Has an extra usb input. And the biggie (to me) 5v preouts verses 2v, which can make quite a difference when adding external amps. And also has a more in depth tuning section. Basically if you look at the differences between the Excelon and non-Excelon double din screens, this is kind of what you are duplicating just with the ability to use as oem upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...
Nice install! I have the Nav only version. I had 2 questions though: Where did you mount the "brain" and how did you mount the screen? I thought the control unit was pretty big.

The "brain" is mounted on the back of the rear driver side seat behind the amp. It is pretty big, and adding all of the wiring makes it even bigger. It just happen to hide in this spot nicely.

Did you try flipping that sub around yet (with a grill if need be)? It really will make a huge difference...

Nope. I don't think I will. It's pretty easy to just drop the cargo pass through door when I really want to turn the system up. Plus, the trunk looks great with the amp rack.

Yes, but it's about SOUND not looks. I flipped my box-amp combo around yesterday (to look just like yours) and the loss of bass is huge versus firing towards the trunk. Needless to say, I put it back the way it was. Flip it = mo betta

Also, regarding perforating the leather. I was thinking something similar, but maybe just removing the carpet from the actual locking piece and cutting out a hole with a dremel/rotozip. Then either recover in the carpet or wrap that piece in black grill cloth...

Yes, but it's about SOUND not looks. I flipped my box-amp combo around yesterday (to look just like yours) and the loss of bass is huge versus firing towards the trunk. Needless to say, I put it back the way it was. Flip it = mo betta

Also, regarding perforating the leather. I was thinking something similar, but maybe just removing the carpet from the actual locking piece and cutting out a hole with a dremel/rotozip. Then either recover in the carpet or wrap that piece in black grill cloth...

The best position I have found is speaker facing the back 3/4 of the way back in the trunk. Not optimal for groceries but it is the best bang for the buck location wise.

But honestly if hes happy with the bass the way it is, then i say leave it.

:)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

nice setup!

I was thinking of doing this myself as well, but how can you tell if the indash stereo is compatible with our HU :confused:? I really do like our HU, but wouldn't mind a display for possiblity ipod, navi, bluetooth and xm.

I agree about the sound part, but I have to haul the trash to the dump at least once a week. Ever seen what happens to trash after it sits in the summer heat for a couple days? There is no way I'm risking a bag of trash leaking onto the sub, which no speaker grill will protect it from. Just ain't worth it. Thanks for the advice though.

Den25: I think you mean will the 08' stock head unit work with the Kenwood KOS-V500...

Yes. The stock head unit feeds a signal to the V500 through the stock speaker wires. They are connected directly to the V500 through an adapter included with the unit. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Archived