LegacyGT.com

Chrysler and Fiat?

But Hyundai is a much newer manufacturer than Fiat, which has been around almost since cars were invented. No excuse, especially when your market is in a mediterranean climate.

Italians consider rust to be character or patina, something to be savored not avoided.:lol:

At least Italian cars now use negative ground electricals. I remember hooking a positive ground Veglia tachometer from a Fiat 850 Spyder "backwards" so that it would work in my negative ground VW Karmann-Ghia. Hey, I was a poor college student and couldn't resist a $10 tachometer from the self-serve junkyard. :p

Get real - Fiat's cars would not sell here. End of story.

I think the Fiat 500 is the only one with a chance because it's such a niche vehicle, falling somewhere between the Smart ForTwo and Mini in size, but with better styling than either. Their other vehicles are too mainstream and don't offer any appreciable advantages over Japanese, Korean, and domestic mainstream offerings, especially in light of well-ingrained public perception of their unreliability. I certainly recall tales of finicky Fiat 2000 twincam spiders and the valve and piston dance that occurs when a timing belt invariably breaks. :(

I think we will not see a complete Fiat car here any time soon. We will see their engines and their transmissions, maybe even interior parts too. It will be much like it was with the Mercedes merger where the 300C and the Crossfire took the previous gen' under bodies of the Mercedes E and SLK with some other bits and pieces from the Benz bin.

So we'll get crappy Fiat running gear slathered in poorly designed K-Mart sheet metal and interiors? Words can't describe the awesome.

Too bad Mercedes is gone. We could've had Chryslers with german running gear styled by the Italians and sold by Americans. :lol:

Well, I know that FIAT has been looking for someone to help distrubute Alfa's in the US.

Yummy...

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2007/08/alfa-romeo-8c-2.jpg

The 8C was distrubuted through Ferrari dealers but I don't think FIAT wants the two to mix in the long run. I could see the 500 and some other special edition Alfa's coming here. I'm not sure about the rest of the line up.

Apparently, this "partnership" is contingent on Chrysler being able to get the bailout money it needs.

Archived