LegacyGT.com

For all of you guys using Mobil 1

In my experience, M1 isn't bad... it's just more expensive than others.

For example, many people recommend Rotella T synthetic as a better oil. My UOAs (posted around here on the site) have shown that the Rotella seems to be performing just like M1 on the motor, so as far as I can tell, there is no difference. Of course, Rotella is cheaper, so I'm sticking with that at the moment...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, M1 isn't bad, it's just that there's been UOAs on 5w30 that didn't look that good. Something to consider when cheaper oil perform better. That being said, the Extended Performance line works great, so does the European Formula 0w40 (or 5w40, whichever). The question is, is it worth the money? In my experience, that's a fat no.

Mobil 1 is ExxonMobil's flagship product. It will always be among the best oils on the market. Oils change all the time.

Currently, Pennzoil Platinum is the standout oil to beat. Mobil 1 is found in so many high end cars, and is tested over and over again. It's always a safe bet. I like their 5w40 and 0w40 oils. Both are great for Subs.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1579974#Post1579974

Here is a recent UOA of Platinum holding it's own against the very good, but expensive Amsoil SSO.

PP can be obtained at Walmart. It's a no brainer. PP is the more cost effective choice.

Simply the best money can buy. Amsoil 0w-30 SSO, 12k avg. OCI over 116k with no problems.:cool: My price is only $7.49qt. Not that expensive when your OCI is between 12k & 15K.:):cool:

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

How would you say Amsoil compares with German Castroil???

To clarify for the other members.

rao is referring to Castroil which is the compressed name for German Castor Oil. It is a new branch of Castrol which makes oil out of renewable and biodegradable sources. In this case, castor beans.

Simply the best money can buy. Amsoil 0w-30 SSO, 12k avg. OCI over 116k with no problems.:cool: My price is only $7.49qt. Not that expensive when your OCI is between 12k & 15K.:):cool:

Wow, 12k OCIs... I assume these are based on UOAs? Have you posted them somewhere? I'd love to take a look...

As for PP, no doubt, it's very good oil as well... Rotella is just a few bucks cheaper for me, and easier to find... unusually enough. (PP = $22-ish per gallon, while Rotella was $20)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1579974#Post1579974

Here is a recent UOA of Platinum holding it's own against the very good, but expensive Amsoil SSO.

PP can be obtained at Walmart. It's a no brainer. PP is the more cost effective choice.

Read down a bit. It's not that it's holding it's own, it's that both oils are equally effective in an easy-engine being frequently driven for a reasonable duration (7.5k miles).

AMSOIL SSO is the oil of choice for someone who wants a long-drain in just about any street-driven car. But it's freaking expensive for anyone NOT running long drains.

Mobile 1 0w-40 euro blend I would have to imagine is a much better oil than the energy conserving (thin as water) 5w-30... But I have no proof just research and speculation.

I wouldn't dream of putting M1 5w-30 in my last car after all I had read on the WRX rod bearing issues. I ran cheap as hell 5w30 in winter with 10w-40 in summer.

I plan on using the same plan for my LGT until I see proof to do otherwise... but my .02 is not worth much

Wow, 12k OCIs... I assume these are based on UOAs? Have you posted them somewhere? I'd love to take a look...

As for PP, no doubt, it's very good oil as well... Rotella is just a few bucks cheaper for me, and easier to find... unusually enough. (PP = $22-ish per gallon, while Rotella was $20)

Here you go. Now over 117k:cool:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82383

Damn, that's a nice UOA... my <6k OCIs aren't showing up that well with M1 or Rotella at the moment (though it might be due to high silicon, which doesn't seem to be going away yet)...

I might consider trying Amsoil at some point, and seeing if it holds up for me as well.

Are you using any special oil filter setup? Those are some REALLY low numbers. What about how you drive the vehicle? Hard, gentle, etc?

Damn, that's a nice UOA... my <6k OCIs aren't showing up that well with M1 or Rotella at the moment (though it might be due to high silicon, which doesn't seem to be going away yet)...

I might consider trying Amsoil at some point, and seeing if it holds up for me as well.

Are you using any special oil filter setup? Those are some REALLY low numbers. What about how you drive the vehicle? Hard, gentle, etc?

I would call my driving style, spirited, hard.

That OA's was using Amsoil oil filter EaO-20.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx

At 73k, dual By-Pass Filter. I haven't done any OA's sense I went dual filtration. Because the OA's was very good with the small signal filter. I didn't see the need with a 2 micron filtration system, + add 2qts. to your oil system.

In case you don't know, Amsoil recommended OCI's is only to be used. When using there oil & filter.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81741

Mike

Schwinn - Bear in mind he's using a different lab. It's the equivalent of comparing Dyson to Blackstone. Dyson makes things look much worse, but it's just because he sees alot more crap in your oil. Oil Analyzers should only be compared to Oil Analyzers, Blackstone to Blackstone, etc.

Not saying his results aren't fantastic though.

After numerous UOAs on our turbo Boxers, modded or not, I think the trend is towards thicker oils and those that fight fuel dillution well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I'm seeing. Take M1 5w30 syn. It's your average 30-weight oil that does not perform good when fuel dillution is there, which our Boxers seem to be prone to. The oil shears, the additive package doesn't do as good of a job and in turn the engines registers higher than average wear.

Schwinn - Bear in mind he's using a different lab. It's the equivalent of comparing Dyson to Blackstone. Dyson makes things look much worse, but it's just because he sees alot more crap in your oil. Oil Analyzers should only be compared to Oil Analyzers, Blackstone to Blackstone, etc.

Not saying his results aren't fantastic though.

Good to know - as you know, my testing has been from Blackstone. Still, with such good long term results, I may consider trying out Amsoil (filter alone, and then with their oil)... since I'm an engineer and always want to test things out carefully, haha!

Archived