LegacyGT.com

For all of you guys using Mobil 1

fishbone - Gonna have to disagree with you on OEM approval of oils. Their are several approvals from different manufacuters like VW, GM, etc... these are not just recommendations, they are approvals. For example, oils used in VWs MUST meet their approval specs in order to not void the warranty. I was very aware of this when I owned my 1.8T Passat.

I will agree with you somewhat on Mobil1. Now, I woudn't call it an inferior oil, but I will say that it is overpriced and overrated. This is even more true now that many M1 forulations are using Group III base stocks.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fishbone - Gonna have to disagree with you on OEM approval of oils.

There are exceptions to what I wrote in every manufacturer's line of products. Your example just serves to bolster what I was writing. You are dealing with turbocharged engines, which is what we are dealing with here. Turbo engines treat oil differently. I still used Mobil 1 in my wife's NA car for a long time and it did good, looked clean even with 5K OCI intervals. That's what prompted me to test it in my Legacy, to see how it's holding up. Turned out I was paying more for less.

I think that is a fair assessment. Oils change very often so what is good now, may suck next year etc. Mobil 1 is a blend of Group III, IV and V base oils of unknown %'s. It is assumed most grades are 40-70% PAO based. Last time I checked on BITOG.

Approvals do mean something. It means they were APPROVED. If they are not approved, you don't know what you are dealing with. Terry Dyson is a very respectable tribologist. No argument there. Peace out. :)

I keep hearing talk about this snake oil... Should I be using that? I thought synthetic oils were better than natural ones. Isn't that cruelty to animals? It must take ALOT of snakes just to get a quart. And what types of snakes? If they're using venomous ones I have no problem with that. But using harmless snakes for oil.... that's not cool

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

There are exceptions to what I wrote in every manufacturer's line of products. Your example just serves to bolster what I was writing. You are dealing with turbocharged engines, which is what we are dealing with here. Turbo engines treat oil differently. I still used Mobil 1 in my wife's NA car for a long time and it did good, looked clean even with 5K OCI intervals.

No. Here is what you said:

Also, OEMs don't approve jackshit in reality as far as
brand
goes, they
recommend
brands. If they were to approve oil they'd be in court pronto. What they approve is oil viscosities under a range of operating conditions. That doesn't mean Mobil 1 or whatever the manufacturer states is the end all, be all. Did you even read what I wrote how these "recommendations" come to be?

They DO approve oils. They even have thier own seals that are put on oils that meet their specs. It is not just viscocities, it is specific formulations of oils. And I don't think any of them are in court.

There are different specs, some apply to some or all models, it depends on the engine, etc... Each oil type and grade has to be tested to see whether it will meet the specs and will be approved or not based on that testing.

You are arguing that car companies don't and can't "approve" oil, that is not true as they do it all the time.

The idea that I was trying to get across got lost in translation so I'm just going to drop the argument.

To sum it up, somewhat, the manufacturer won't void your warranty for not using whatever oil they stamp their name on, as long as the alternative met their requirements, right? I was arguing along the lines that the dealer can't force you to have ALL your service done at the dealer.

It can be any brand, as long as it's officially approved. Are there oils not on approval lists that meet certain specifications? Probably. There are also many that probably don't. Once you venture outside the approval realm, you are on your own.

To sum it up, somewhat, the manufacturer won't void your warranty for not using whatever oil they stamp their name on, as long as the alternative met their requirements, right? I was arguing along the lines that the dealer can't force you to have ALL your service done at the dealer.

Yes, they can and have. In the case of VW, if you don't use an oil that meets their specs (approved by the statement on the bottle that the oil meets the spec), they will not cover any failure attributed to the oil. The oil doesn't have to come from the dealer, but you need proof that you performed the oil changes at the specified interval and with oils that meet VWs specs.

So say that VW recommends Castrol, you mean to tell me those asshats will deny a warranty claim if you used Mobil, Pennzoil, Amsoil, WHATEVER other oil that still met their spec? Then it's a good thing you ditched them

So say that VW recommends Castrol, you mean to tell me those asshats will deny a warranty claim if you used Mobil, Pennzoil, Amsoil, WHATEVER other oil that still met their spec? Then it's a good thing you ditched them

They don't recommend an entire brand or just one brand. They approve specific oils for specific applications. They won't deny a warranty claim if you use oils that meet their spec. I'm not sure why you are having such a hard time understanding this. VW has several specs and many different oils from different manufacturers meet these specs, you can use whatever oil you want that meets the specific spec that you need. When I say it meets the spec, that doesn't just mean viscosity, it has to be approved by specifiying on the label that it meets the VW spec. Here are the specs explained for VW:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3009/3093image4.jpg

They won't deny a warranty claim if you use oils that meet their spec

That's what I was saying. There is a communication disconnect so, again, I'll just drop it.

BTW, your pic says "image only for use on TDIClub pages by club members"

Appreciate the effort but I think I already know what it's of.

• 4 weeks later...

So at 100k I switched from the Pennzoil/Quaker State generics of the Jiffy Lube's of the world to doing it myself with Mobil 1 5w-30. The change was immediately noticeable, she is reving much quicker, idling smoother and spooling faster as well. That last one brought a smile to my face. :)

Also worth mentioning, I was one of many that blew a turbo at 68k on generic oil due to "starvation".

So at 100k I switched from the Pennzoil/Quaker State generics of the Jiffy Lube's of the world to doing it myself with Mobil 1 5w-30. The change was immediately noticeable, she is reving much quicker, idling smoother and spooling faster as well. That last one brought a smile to my face. :)

Also worth mentioning, I was one of many that blew a turbo at 68k on generic oil due to "starvation".

I think it is all in your head. Unless you went from a different oil weight I HIGHLY doubt you would notice any difference between oil brands, especially ones that dramatic. We all tell ourselves little fibs to justify our purchases, just don't hold any illusions.

Just read this whole post and I'm exhausted.

For all those who have had a blown engine with any synthetic, I wish they'd "Man-Up" and admit they didn't think they would have to check oil for 10k miles or more because it was synthetic. Same goes for the subaru mechanics/service techs who spread stories of blown engines using synthetic leaving out the part about the owner who never bothered checking the oil level and ran it dry.

I read this thread hoping it would help me decide which synthetic oil to use, but I think I'll just drain the pan leave the car in the garage ;) .

Archived