LegacyGT.com

'05 Legacy GT clutch slipping at 46K miles???

The car was back 1 week later,less than 100 miles with a failed clutch.The clutch disc was totally destroyed--I mean no piece was bigger than 4-5 sq.in.

Now this lady had never driven standard before and this was the wrong car to learn on.

Nah!

OBVIOUSLY that clutch was cheap and made of inferior material. :rolleyes:;)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think six rotors hit it on the head. With AWD the clutch becomes the victim of poor driving technique. With two wheel drive honda's, toyotas... If you drop the clutch too hard the wheels will spin. With AWD it's the clutch that slips.

And a destroyed clutch in 30k miles is not a sign of cheap parts. Anyone could destroy a perfect clutch in a day if they wanted to.

BTW I'm at 95k (Stage 1 at 60k, stage 2 at 70k) with the stock clutch. About a dozen track days and it's still going strong.

AShoe,

You don't seem to understand...

EVERYONE that has clutched go early has driven manual transmissions for years. So their technique must be fine, they can't possibly be wearing the clutch out prematurely by improper driving habits.

I used to have SHO Taurus and I would drop the clutch on it all the time, it lasted fine for the 10k miles I had it, I went through a set of front tires, but the clutch was fine.

It is obviously a fault by Subaru, not the driver. As mentioned cheap parts.

AShoe,

You don't seem to understand...

EVERYONE that has clutched go early has driven manual transmissions for years. So their technique must be fine, they can't possibly be wearing the clutch out prematurely by improper driving habits.

I used to have SHO Taurus and I would drop the clutch on it all the time, it lasted fine for the 10k miles I had it, I went through a set of front tires, but the clutch was fine.

It is obviously a fault by Subaru, not the driver. As mentioned cheap parts.

Your logic is undeniable. How could I have been so blind?

Just another data point. I'm waiting for my clutch and flywheel to arrive from FBP. I've got just over 40K miles on the car and it is virtually undrivable at this point.

Random bullet points:

Car has been stage II since about 5K miles

My wife's 02 impreza has 150 k and is still on the original clutch.

I've been driving manual cars most of my life (and I'm an old fukker)

When I first got the car I'd get some god awful clutch stink. That was me slipping the clutch.It seems that it took forever for me to get used to this clutch.

I let my son drive the car while he was in his late teens.

I blame the DM flywheel and Canadians.

http://marcos.kirsch.com.mx/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/south-park-blame-canada.jpg

IMO the clutch should be engineered handle the TQ the engine puts out and should easily last well over 100K mi under fairly normal conditions. Thats one of the reasons why gutless FWD econo boxes have small clutches and TQ monsters have larger ones. As far as clutch slip vs wheel spin with AWD and non AWD sure that could factor in if your launch a lot and I do mean a lot. In this case something has to give, but that shouldn't factor in much at all for most daily driving. Seriously how often do you see people spinning their tires at intersections?

Your logic is undeniable. How could I have been so blind?

sometimes you have to look through the forest to see the trees... :cool:

On a serious not, 318 I understand your argument, but at the sametime, does not the AWD system in and of itself add alot of strain to the system. Therefore someone who normally drives a 2WD would easily slip the tires the first few times they rev too high during clutch engagement, whereas with an AWD the torque would be transferred more into the clutch allowing slipping... most drivers wouldn't realize and over time that extra strain would cause premature failure.

I agree it should be designed to meet the requirements, but maybe it's not being used as it is designed also....

I'm sure the damn Canucks have something to do with it.. I just can't make a connection.... YET. I do know alot of plastic is molded there......

As for the DM flywheel.... that is an interesting thought.... seems like most complaints come from the '05 family... I just assumed it was because they would have the most mileage.....

Well - cheap must be in the eyes of the beholder. All of the OEM components (PP, CD, DMFW) are all SACHS units, the same OEM mfgr for BMW and Porsche (and possibly Mercedes).

I had the stock PP fail on mine, became almost impossible to push in without standing on the clutch pedal @ ~48K. Entire setup from FW to TOB was replaced with OEM goods under warranty. And I've been driving MTs for almost 50 years too, and Subaru FWD/AWD MT setups for over 36 years. Replaced mine with 2006+WRX/ACT HD setup @ 100K miles and have strongly disliked it (hate is too strong a word) since the install, so much so that I'm going back to the stock setup. And I'm at STG2+ since ~60K miles going to STG3 this summer.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I understand you are enthused by your Subaru (maybe a fanboy). I mean I like the car too. But that doesn't meant you should be blind to its obvious misgivings.

Driving a car is not rocket science. Even after 1k miles of driving if you still suck at driving stick you probably shouldn't be driving a car at all.

I understand you are enthused by your Subaru (maybe a fanboy). I mean I like the car too. But that doesn't meant you should be blind to its obvious misgivings.

Driving a car is not rocket science. Even after 1k miles of driving if you still suck at driving stick you probably shouldn't be driving a car at all.

Not sure who you were directing this to, but it didn't logically connect to the OP's post or others that I can see. Possible you intended to use http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/quote.gif but somehow missed it.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Not sure who you were directing this to, but it didn't logically connect to the OP's post or others that I can see. Possible you intended to use http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/quote.gif but somehow missed it.

I think it was at me and my persistance in arguing against those saying Subarus are horrible because the clutch on their performance model didn't last them as long as they think it should....:redface:

I am not blindly defending Subarus because I like them so much. I am arguing against those blindly putting down an entire make/model/brand because one aspect did not meet their expectations.

As mentioned MANY go beyond 60k.

http://legacygt.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=1677

IMO that IS acceptable for a clutch on a performance model. I don't think it is an obvious shortcoming, and I don't think Subaru should be required to warrant anything past what they promised. (36k) Which is what the OP was alluding to in the OP, back in early '09.

On that point, I'm done beating a dead horse.....

I still do find it interesting that most people who say their clutches went early had the DM flywheel.... I would be interested to see the correlation between mileage out of a DM v a SM flywheel

I think it was at me and my persistance in arguing against those saying Subarus are horrible because the clutch on their performance model didn't last them as long as they think it should....:redface:

I am not blindly defending Subarus because I like them so much. I am arguing against those blindly putting down an entire make/model/brand because one aspect did not meet their expectations.

As mentioned MANY go beyond 60k.

http://legacygt.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=1677

IMO that IS acceptable for a clutch on a performance model. I don't think it is an obvious shortcoming, and I don't think Subaru should be required to warrant anything past what they promised. (36k) Which is what the OP was alluding to in the OP, back in early '09.

On that point, I'm done beating a dead horse.....

I still do find it interesting that most people who say their clutches went early had the DM flywheel.... I would be interested to see the correlation between mileage out of a DM v a SM flywheel

Well again, my car isn't a performance model. But anyhoo... sh*t happens. I'll probably be heading to my mechanic next week to have him take a look as its starting to slip a little more.

I'm not a mechanic, so I was wondering if someone had an expert opinion.I noticed that the clutch is slipping less in the cold weather. Does that make sense or is it just in my mind?

Its unfortunate that the clutch doesn't last as long as some people expected to. But, as a ASE certified mechanic (formerly working at a dealer) I can tell you right now, trying to get good will warranty stuff from a dealer on a wear item like a clutch is a waste of time, it simply won't happen. You can whine all you want about that, but they will just point it right back at you and state it was your driving habits that caused it to fail early. And that is a totally valid thing for them to say, because 90% of the time, its true! Even if it isn't true, how are you going to prove that? And "drafting a letter" to the SOA President is an even greater waste of time, because it is going to end up in his secretary's secretary's assistant's round file and probably never get read by anyone who matters.

• 4 years later...

You are in the wrong sub-forum. This is for 2005 - 2009.

But at 28k chances are you are still under warranty and will get it replaced for free / cheaper.

Mine went out at 90k miles (or close to that), something broke (don't remember what) Subaru had me only pay parts (they paid labor).

Archived