LegacyGT.com

Black on red.

I did what I thought id never do, I was trying to jump my car and put the negative on the positive, and the other way around. After a fireworks show, and some melted rubber the car wont even attempt to start. I have been told it could be just fuses, or worse. PLEASE Help, what fuses do I need and most importantly where are they thankyou so much.

I'll bet it blew the fusible link.

Look in the fuse box under the hood, the fusible link (in my GT) is a big white square fuse marked 120 closest to the engine. It's actually bolted into the fuse box. You should be able to look through the clear lid to see if it's popped.

Just about it's sole purpose is to protect the rest of the car should you connect the battery wrong...

been there done that in my old cars. only blew the main fuse.

I haven't done that, but I have done my share of sparks so I'm careful when handling the connections when jump starting.

I strongly suspect fusible links and and main fuse. Notice that they may look different from normal fuses.

453747.png

my old car when i had a capacitor the 2 terminals where loose and they hit, it made the magical smoke from the battery, i couldnt put the smoke back in.

anyways my battery read it was fully charged with a volt meter but i just it discharged quickly or something, i just got a new battery and that fixed the problem

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Thanks guys, my only issue is i cant tell what that thing is supposed to look like if its popped.

Well if the battery is still good you can check it with a multi-meter, if the fusible link is still good it will have 12v on both sides, if it is bad it will have 12v only on one side...

So what you guys told me was the fusible link was just the main fuse, dude at pepboys says i could have 60 fusible links anywhich of them could have blown, I wanted to fix it myself but with useless help im not going to be able too.

was the ignition on when you hooked up the other battery?

in all honesty, if you don't know what/where to look. be smart, take it to someplace that can fix it. May cost you less in the long run.

and be careful next time you use jumper cables.

So what you guys told me was the fusible link was just the main fuse, dude at pepboys says i could have 60 fusible links anywhich of them could have blown, I wanted to fix it myself but with useless help im not going to be able too.

Yes, there all kinds of fusible links in your car, but the MAIN fusible link is in the main fuse box under the hood. Usually when they blow it is pretty obvious if they have a sight window. If not, you can take a multimeter and check the resistance across the fuse, where low/none = good and high/infinite = blown. Good luck.

As I hide my face in shame, I admittedly did this on my 1998 Outback. Battery was dead and rather than call the autoclub, I decided to be a man and fix the problem myself! Ugh!

Big mistake. Still don't know whether I cross polarities on the soob or the boosting car (my Miata). Anyway, ended up calling the autoclub anyway only to have the car towed to the shop. MIata was okay, but the Outback had a blown main fuse and the keyless security system was pooched. Oh and the alternator and battery were also replaced (which may have been the problem leading to the dead battery in the first place).

Cost me around $1,200. I have officially learned my lesson. From now on I'll call the autoclub!

my old car when i had a capacitor the 2 terminals where loose and they hit, it made the magical smoke from the battery, i couldnt put the smoke back in.

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm

NOS Lucas Replacement Wiring Harness Smoke Kit

Have you inadvertently let the smoke out of the wires on your classic British car? This, then, is the solution to your problem!

Thanks guys, my only issue is i cant tell what that thing is supposed to look like if its popped.

There will be a piece of metal inside the fuse casing. If the piece of metal is split in two then it HAS popped. If it is a continuous solid piece from one end of the fuse casing to the other, then it HAS NOT popped

Archived