LegacyGT.com

How To: Install heated STi seats into LGT (reletively painless)

a24yophxguy

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm contemplating the swap and want to make everything as painless as possible with respect to airbags, seat heaters, and occupant sensors/electronics.

From this thread, I've gathered that the 04 STi airbags are plug & play, so 04 STi seats are good, but they don't have seat heaters. I have access to 05 STi heated seats, but then I'm still not 100% clear if the 05 STi airbags are also direct swaps. The OP indicates that he gutted his LGT ones so he could resell the 05 STi airbags, but also mentions that this process wasn't really necessary. It certainly implies that the 05 STi airbags are perhaps plug & play, but alas, no firm confirmation.

Anybody know, or do I have to be the guinea pig for this? :p

I THINK the 05 seats are plug and play. See posts #12-13 I was going to get the 05 as the OP did but ran into a good set of 04's. So his 05's worked fine and I had to test the 04's If you still are not sure about it the easiest way to tell is unbolt your seat and tip it back. Set the new seat on the ground next to the car and plug it in. Thats what I did.

Just a note the airbag connectors are really hard to unplug so be aware of that and be careful as you can break the connector

I would think the seat heater plugs are the same but don't know, heck I didn't even know they had heated STI seats.

The only other problem you will have is your 05 passenger seat has some metal sensors for the airbag activation. Later versions had some sort of bladder.

The 04 STI seats I used didn't have a passenger side air bag activation but not sure about the 05. I feel this is an important thing to have so you may have to swap the legacy base into the STI seats to keep that working on the passenger side.

Follow the links I posted from the forester swap that might give you a bit more information.

You're spot on about the passenger side air bag detection system. The 04's don't have it an neither did the 05's.

I'm gonna have to study this a bit more carefully but it doesn't look too bad. I'll speak with my mechanic to see if he's done any swaps or has more info the the "gotchas" from the STi seats.

Will do, thanks.

As an aside, this post on NASIOC seems to indicate that there is no distance sensor on the driver's side 05 STi seat nor the weight sensor on the passenger side. Only 06 STi and up.

According to post #24 in this thread the passenger occupant sensor is in the LGT seat frame itself, not within the seat cushion. Since I'm using the LGT seat frame there, that should be taken care of. I'm hoping that the distance sensor is in the LGT seat frame on the driver's side as well.

Did you ever finish the blue alacantra on the rear seats including the seat backs? Any pics?

Kodax Read through the thread, you will find your answer. Your question is too vague....

What year seats are you asking about, are you keeping the Legacy seat frame, yada yada yada.....All of this has been answered and some of it in the last few posts

Well, I did a fair bit of research on this. Specifically I am talking about 2008-2009 WRX/STi seats into my 2009 Legacy 3.0r. I was told that WRX seats have 4 connectors while legacy has 3 connectors. I will have to trick the car senors by adding an extra resistor or some sort. Anybody can confirm this?

You may need to swap your heaters, airbags, and do some some custom work (e.g. frame) since yours is an 09. Check out the Forester forum. They've got guys saying that 08+ STi seats are plug & play in 09 Foresters, but only for bolting on (they are still swapping heaters/airbags from their Forester).

You may need to swap your heaters, airbags, and do some some custom work (e.g. frame) since yours is an 09. Check out the Forester forum. They've got guys saying that 08+ STi seats are plug & play in 09 Foresters, but only for bolting on (they are still swapping heaters/airbags from their Forester).

I am a bit uneducated the whether if the Legacy frames are exactly the same as the Forester ones. Are you saying that the Forester and Legacy has exactly the same layout for the frame? And in order to make my airbag work, I will have to swap in the legacy airbags?

Thanks for the help.

That's what I am suggesting, but I can't be sure. The Forester guys seem to know more about cross compatibility. There are similarities with earlier model LGTs like mine and Foresters of the same era. I can't say for sure on late year models like yours.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Will do, thanks.

As an aside, this post on NASIOC seems to indicate that there is no distance sensor on the driver's side 05 STi seat nor the weight sensor on the passenger side. Only 06 STi and up.

According to post #24 in this thread the passenger occupant sensor is in the LGT seat frame itself, not within the seat cushion. Since I'm using the LGT seat frame there, that should be taken care of. I'm hoping that the distance sensor is in the LGT seat frame on the driver's side as well.

Did you ever finish the blue alacantra on the rear seats including the seat backs? Any pics?

Just an FYI from looking at a set of 08 STi seats, the driver's side does not have the distance sensor. The passenger seat did have the weight sensor in it. Not sure if things changed between 06 and 08, but thought I'd pass that along.

Also, at least in my 06 2.5i, the weight sensor on the passenger side is in the seat itself. I'll try and take some pictures of the various seats.

That would be good as the 08 up STI seats are said to bolt right in the 05 legacy.

We would just need to verify the two stage air bag ordeal.

As you all probably saw if you read this thread. I installed everything from 04 seats on to my LGT/OXT frame rails and everything including the airbags work fine.

Im interested in the 08 seats though from a frame rail and the springs perspective.

The legacy seat springs were a bit different than the STI ones.

I also had to cut the bolster support off the STI seat frame and weld it on my LGT seat frame.

Well, I did a fair bit of research on this. Specifically I am talking about 2008-2009 WRX/STi seats into my 2009 Legacy 3.0r. I was told that WRX seats have 4 connectors while legacy has 3 connectors. I will have to trick the car senors by adding an extra resistor or some sort. Anybody can confirm this?

Not sure on the 08-09 STI swapped into an 09 legacy. I have never looked at the 08-09 seats in either car.

You may have to be the one to try it.

I have an 05 LGT and just notice the heated seat (driver side) isn't working. The light on the switch is still coming on.. anyone know what i should do or how to test it?

Thanks

Nate

I would just take it out, if its not working its probably a broken element in the heater.

The wires are very thin.

I had to replace one of mine when I got the seats apart. It was all bunched up and when I took it out it broke one of the wires.

The vacation pics ;) will tell you what the resistance should be. You can unplug it and measure with a ohm meter between the pins.

With that said though, Id just take it out. They are known to bunch up under the fabric over time and break.

Bad news is they are about 100 bucks from Subaru and its not the easiest to change out.

I have a 2004 Mk4) Legacy and also some STi Spec C seats with black alcantara. Having read (some :D ) of this thread - and it being abeautiful day outside - Inspired by your work I gave it a go.

I got the pasenger side done- swapped over seat base coverand back - not too tricky and works well :8 I found out what you meant about being better with a manual seat instead of electric LOL :D - I should have read it all properly first ;)

Thanks for the inspiration anyway - hopefully I'll find a cheap manual drivers seat and then I can have a matching pair!!! :)

Post up some pictures :) Glad you got it installed.

So I guess the MK4 has two power seats?

My outback XT had driver power and passenger manual. So I just traded my power seat for a friends manual out of his LGT

Archived