LegacyGT.com

How To: Install heated STi seats into LGT (reletively painless)

a24yophxguy

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can find them cheaper than that. There was some nice ones on ebay for 600, let me see if I can find it.

Also I was looking at your spec b seat thread and I saw you found a place to bolt the seatbelt to the car frame instead of the seat on the passenger side.

Good find I may do this. Makes it much easier to get the passenger seat in and out.

How stupid is it that one side its to the car frame and the other side its to the seat.

Cant figure out why they would do that.

Yeah it is. How much did you score those seats for? I could probably almost trade straight across price wise, I'm hoping.

I paid 550 shipped. So you figure about 100 bucks or so to ship I got a good deal. I think both seats were in one box and it was like 80-90 lbs.

Also I was looking at your spec b seat thread and I saw you found a place to bolt the seatbelt to the car frame instead of the seat on the passenger side.

Good find I may do this. Makes it much easier to get the passenger seat in and out.

How stupid is it that one side its to the car frame and the other side its to the seat.

Cant figure out why they would do that.

In an accident, the seat may move differently than the car's body and the occupant could get pinched pretty good by the frame-bolted belt. Having two points on the seat, you won't get pinched nearly as badly while still being properly restrained.

At least this is how I understand it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

^ Pretty much all the Information you need to do this is in this thread. Here is the answer to your question for you to read but if you read the whole thread I think you will find all the information you need, to do this with either 04 or 05 STI seats...

04 STI Airbags are plug and play in the 05 LGT!!!!!

Took the seat back off the STI seat today, unbolted my passenger OBXT seat and tilted it back.

Plugged in the STI seat back to the wiring harness, hooked up the battery and started the car.

NO AIRBAG LIGHTS or anything.

Now moving the cushions and seat heaters over to the OBXT/LGT Base

Hey goneskiian off to my next project.... purchased a set of front seats today I found on ebay.

Found out it was a dealer and called them and got them pretty cheap shipped to my house.

They said they looked brand new!!! :spin:

I ended up getting these 04 seats because the black fabric on the 04's matches the fabric on the LGT better.

So if I put the blue alcantara into my rear seat covers it should be a good match.

My only concern is the 04 airbags working like a24's did when he used 05 seats.

http://gallery.me.com/gregnauman#100042

Ill be sure and do a write up as I do this mod and with a24yophxguy's help ill try and document everything.

• 2 months later...

Well my wife was able to sew in the alcantara in the seat bottom cushion this week so now I have to take the seat back off. She did a great job! The seams look a little saggy in the photos but that is because it hasn't been stretched and hog ringed yet.

Ill be taking the seat back apart this week and then putting everything all back together when my hog rings and hog ring tool recommended by JPM coachworks gets too me this week. Here are a couple of teaser pics

http://gallery.me.com/gregnauman/100042/IMG_0423/web.jpg?ver=13027327390001

http://gallery.me.com/gregnauman/100042/IMG_0422/web.jpg

If you took your fabric off the seat and sent it to us and then got the alcantara from JPM coachworks, 100 bucks a yard, I could ask and see if she would do it for a small fee.

It took her about three hours to seam rip the tweed out and then sew in the alcantara. That was the bottom cushion. I haven't done the top yet.

We think 1 yard will do it. Im putting the fabric back on the bottom cushion today.

Latest edition....seam ripped the tweed out and sewed in matching blue alcantara.

My wife did the sewing for me by making a pattern off the tweed fabric and then just sewed it back together

Bottom cushion installed now for the top

http://gallery.me.com/gregnauman/100042/IMG_0438/web.jpg?

http://gallery.me.com/gregnauman/100042/IMG_0441/web.jpg

• 1 month later...
This thread has been awesome!! I tried doing this in my 07 LGT and it was a huuuuge EPIC FAIL!! I had the seats in... but the brackets I used to secure the back bolts to the car were not safe whatsoever. So I took them out... sold them.. and put the leathers back in. Now that its summer again... Im really missing these seats lol. My back is drenched everytime I get out of the car. The rears look awesome too. Your wife did a great job. Any pix of the top half done?

No I've been lazy about taking the top half apart. It's going to be a bit more difficult than the bottom half so just haven't done it yet.

I'll be doing it soon though and posting pics when complete

Quick question on this swap (or just clarification). If I read everything correctly, your swapping out the LGT seat base onto the STI seat, but in order to get the manual controls on the STI seat to work, you need to have a manual LGT seat base, not a power seat base? Is this correct?

If you have a power driver seat you have to swap that with someone with a manual Legacy driver seat. The STI seat back cant be swapped on to the power seat base. STI is manual seat back and manual base.

My Outback XT, came standard with power driver seat, whereas the Legacy GT it was an option.

So once you have a manual seat base (which happens to be almost just like the STI seat base) you just swap over the STI seat back and STI bottom cushion onto the seat base.

One thing I noted above that is different on the LGT manual seat base.... it does not have the metal loops that go up into the bolster by your thigh.

So when I took the STI seat apart, I had someone cut the metal loops off and weld them to my Legacy manual seat base, then just put the cushion on.

• 3 months later...
I'm trying to sort out which of all this information is relevant to my situation. I just want to swap 07 STi seats into my 05 LGT. I'm not too worried about doing the heater or airbag swaps, i just want the seats swapped and for the electronic system to work without problems. What are my options here and what is required of me?

I'm trying to sort out which of all this information is relevant to my situation. I just want to swap 07 STi seats into my 05 LGT. I'm not too worried about doing the heater or airbag swaps, i just want the seats swapped and for the electronic system to work without problems. What are my options here and what is required of me?

there is a thread on here somewhere about the 07 seats into an 05, and if memory serves me correctly, is is NOT easy.

07 seats may work but airbags will not I am pretty sure.

As such you will always have an airbag light on.

I would not do it, as you are removing a major safety feature of the car.

Not to mention the fact that the passenger dash airbag will not work if you do not keep the passenger seat base with the weight sensors in it.

Im not sure what you mean about electronics systems.

one thing you can do and is what I did. If you have an 07 seat. Just set it on the ground by the car and unbolt your seat and tip it back. See if the 07 seat will plug into the airbag connector and then start your car. If the airbags work the light will go off.

If that works then you are home free to do the swap like I did. If not you will need 04-05 seats.

Im thinking the 07 airbags are different but I am not sure.

Archived