LegacyGT.com

How To: Install heated STi seats into LGT (reletively painless)

a24yophxguy

Well it looks like the seats I may be getting are 2004 seats.....Hope they still are plug and play

Here are pictures of what they look like and I verified they are a bit different than the 2005-2007.

http://gallery.me.com/gregnauman#100042

Notice the black fabric is different than on the 2005-2007 and also note the bottom cushion has the blue alcantara partially on the seat bottom cushion bolsters.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

04 STI Airbags are plug and play in the 05 LGT!!!!!

Took the seat back off the STI seat today, unbolted my passenger OBXT seat and tilted it back.

Plugged in the STI seat back to the wiring harness, hooked up the battery and started the car.

NO AIRBAG LIGHTS or anything.

Now moving the cushions and seat heaters over to the OBXT/LGT Base

Well completed the passenger swap now I just have to bolt it into the car.

Like OP said, not bad if you dont do the seat heaters. If you do the seat heaters

this is not fun.

I would recommend if you want to do seat heaters, just go purchase new heaters and put them in the STI seats and don't mess with taking them out of the LGT seats.

I may do this on the driver side when I get the seat base I need.

04 STI Airbags are plug and play in the 05 LGT!!!!!

Took the seat back off the STI seat today, unbolted my passenger OBXT seat and tilted it back.

Plugged in the STI seat back to the wiring harness, hooked up the battery and started the car.

NO AIRBAG LIGHTS or anything.

Now moving the cushions and seat heaters over to the OBXT/LGT Base

YOUR LUCKY!!!! Cause I still have the airbag light on in my 07 LGT and now it says that the passenger air bag is off whenever someone sits in the passenger seat. And yeah they weighed at least 150 lbs.... I transfered over the passenger weight sensor and everything too. The more and more I find... the more and more the 05/06 is way different than the 07. Kinda wish I bought a 05/06 so I dont have to deal with this BS....even if I have to just transfer over the airbags from the OEM seats. I typically dont like handling things that can explode in my face lol.

I'm not 100% sure, as I went back and forth on both the LGT and STi parts to get the right fit; but I believe I ended up using the STi plastics for the sides of the seats. The driver side went on fine; but the passenger side had to trimmed a little to allow the back adjustment lever to work.

DSC00559.thumb.jpg.d0edfb6d5681f3802ea9a2f2cbecc1ce.jpg

DSC00560.thumb.jpg.b0cdad155643525623bb372828dff537.jpg

DSC00561.thumb.jpg.f3ce9592ee4420d9c0e44825be5848ae.jpg

DSC00562.thumb.jpg.1d5bc58ef68d3b0627613e7f32473543.jpg

DSC00564.thumb.jpg.eec36a96a4d4554d6d7b0835c87b7b79.jpg

From the first 4 pictures above you used the LGT seat bolster plastic and the STI lever cover which has the circular cover with the screw underneath.

Looks like on the last pic which is the driver side you did the same thing. You can tell the black plastic is a bit different and the lever cover has the screw cover as well.

The LGT lever cover just pushes on, no screw.

Thanks, that helps out alot. I too am mixing and matching this up for fitment. Ill let you know what I decide on.

PHXguy

One thing I did to the bottom seat cushion and fabric is I moved the plastic clips.

I pulled the fabric and seat cushion as tight as I could get it, made some marks and then my wife seam ripped the plastic clips off and hand sewed them back on.

This made the bottom cushion really tight and firm like the factory fit.

That sounds like it went together better than mine then. I have nobody to sew for me; and if I did it...well it wouldn't be pretty. I got *most* of my plastic clips to fasten where-ever I could to get it to stay on.

Looking great though...makes me want to figure out another interior project. I still want to put two more in place of the back seat and have four STi buckets...

If you know how to hand sew at all it is well worth it. It really makes the cushion and fabric a lot tighter on the seat frame.

We just took a seam ripper and cut the thread. Stretched it tight and placed it where we thought it needed to be. Then using the existing holes in the plastic clips just hand stitched it on to the fabric. We didnt cut anything so it could be returned to normal at a later date if need be.

We also did this along the front of the seat. Mine had the blue kind of sagging down a bit because it wasn't quite tight. So we took that long plastic clip off as well and did the same thing on the blue fabric in the front.

The back clip was fine and stretched tight.

You just need a needle, some heavy black thread like for canvas. Thread it through the needle, tie a not and start stitching it through the holes by hand. Its not that hard really and you will see how much it tightens the seat up.

On to the next one hopefully this week if I can get a manual seat base. My driver seat is power and I didn't want to try to convert it.

By the way THANKS A LOT for you write up and the help. It was a great to have this guide out on the forum.

I still don't think that power seats should be all that different from a manual one. Since this mod retains the "butt" portion of the metal framing; all the electrics *should* be attached and operating that only that (don't think there is power tilt to the seat-back). It would be kinda like doing the passenger side; you left the occupant detection system in place on the seat frame whilst working over the rest. Frame should unbolt just like the passenger; as the gearing for power is retained within the frame itself...just gonna be heavier.

Keep me posted as to what you decide. If I wasn't stuck out in desert America here; I'd be over to help out.

Well Im trading my power seat, the whole thing to a guy locally for his manual seat thursday.

The power seat can actually move the bottom cushion/base up in the front, or up in the back, individually, as well as together.

The seat back tilt is power as well and as such I dont think it will work because of the manual lever on the STI seat back. The LGT/OBXT power seat back has a short lever just above the up down front back movement lever toward the front of the seat.

***Edit*** The power driver seat will not work as I mentioned because the reclining seat back is power. The STI has a manual recline to the seatback and the tilting lever is totally different on the power seat.

Well Im on my way to the drivers seat. Have them both taken apart. I had to get a new seat heater as the seat heater in the seat I swapped for was so bunched up and wrinkled the wires were pulling out. I didnt want to risk messing with it again so I just decided to get a new one for the seat bottom

I also decided to move the metal wires welded to the front of the STI seat frame, that fit up into the bolsters on the seat bottom foam.

I didnt do this on the passenger but I will be taking it apart and doing this.

I just felt it would reinforce the foam a bit in this area where you are getting in and out of the car, and keep it from beaking off.

So tomorrow a friend of mine is going to cut those off the STI frame and weld them onto my seat frame.

Both seats in and working, now to do the blue alcantara in my stock rear seat in place of the tweed.

By the way the manual LGT driver seat is almost identical to the driver STI seat. Much easier swap on the driver side IMHO.

http://inlinethumb29.webshots.com/48028/2724648740074087040S600x600Q85.jpg

I ended up taking the passenger seat apart AGAIN and moving the bolster supports off the STI frame over to the LGT frame.

Worked real well. We just cut them off and then welded them in the same position on the LGT frame.

Now the bolsters by your thighs are firm and snug. This wire/rod fits right up into the foam bolster for reinforcement.

All I can say is THANKS to a24yophxguy for the write up. I didnt do too much different than he did but the guide was key to even begin this project.

What a change these seats made to my car though, with the horsepower, coilovers, sways, ACT clutch and now these seats it really doesnt feel like an outback anymore.

Loving It! Just what I always wanted an STI outback....Now for the 06 STI Tranny, DCCD, axels, diffs

I'm not 100% sure, as I went back and forth on both the LGT and STi parts to get the right fit; but I believe I ended up using the STi plastics for the sides of the seats. The driver side went on fine; but the passenger side had to trimmed a little to allow the back adjustment lever to work.

I ended up doing the same as you. I used the LGT plastic covers and the STI seatback lever cover.

PHXguy

One thing I did to the bottom seat cushion and fabric is I moved the plastic clips.

I pulled the fabric and seat cushion as tight as I could get it, made some marks and then my wife seam ripped the plastic clips off and hand sewed them back on.

This made the bottom cushion really tight and firm like the factory fit.

Just a note about this, you DO NOT have to do this on the driver seat. The driver LGT manual seat frame is almost exactly the same as the STI manual seat frame and the fabric fit perfect on the driver side.

On the passenger side like I wrote above the frame is a bit different so moving the clips makes the fabric tighter on the frame.

Yea couldn't be happier at all. I agree the STI seats are much better IMHO.

The bolster on the lower back is better (even when you have the LGT bolster out with the lever) and the cushions just feel better. The side bolsters really hug you as well.

I took some twisty roads yesterday with my coils set almost full stiff, the cobb bars, and E85 going in the car and it was nice with the seats keeping you better planted.

Thanks again for your writeup. I would have probably eventually tried this but with you doing the write up it was much more easy.

This is one thing in all my years of working on cars I had never done, taking the seats apart. I was really surprised how the seat bottom cushion was basically just held on with the fabric and clips around the edges.

Archived