LegacyGT.com

Towing LGT on a dolly

I need to tow my LGT on a dolly with the rear wheels on the ground and front wheels on dolly. The distance is roughly 1 mile. I want to make sure that nothing gets damaged, so what would I need to disconnect in the rear end to make sure it's 100% OK?

edit: it's 5MT

I believe the manual actually states if you need to tow it a short distance you should tow it with all four wheels on the ground. Maybe it would be easier to remove the tow bolt cover and use that and a chain.... you could sit in the car and steer and brake, if it runs using foot brake, if not e-brake should work for a 1 mile trip. I've done this with a few cars I've had... granted they were POS's... but it has worked. (I was less concerned about drivetrain damage, and more trying to save a buck :p)

I believe the manual actually states if you need to tow it a short distance you should tow it with all four wheels on the ground. Maybe it would be easier to remove the tow bolt cover and use that and a chain.... you could sit in the car and steer and brake, if it runs using foot brake, if not e-brake should work for a 1 mile trip. I've done this with a few cars I've had... granted they were POS's... but it has worked. (I was less concerned about drivetrain damage, and more trying to save a buck :p)

Yea, that's exactly what Subaru has to say about towing a manual car:

http://www.subaru.com/owners/carcaretips/index.jsp?pageid=towing&navid=TOWING_A_SUBARU

I'm just trying to save a buck or two :) Hopefully disconnecting the drive shaft wont take too much time. I am not sure if towing with a chain is legal/allowed since my car is not registered.

if you do this, make sure you have the key in the ignition so the steering dosent lock...

Do not tow your vehicle on the dolly unless you plan on disconnecting the rear drive shafts Ive had a few people do this with their WRX's and STI's and bam blown Diff. and now we have to repair the diff. Flat bed it if you can.

if you do this, make sure you have the key in the ignition so the steering dosent lock...

Yes...

Short Version

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx-Pz042vyg&feature=channel]YouTube - WRX CRASH INTO WIRE POLE BEING TOWED SHORT VER[/ame]

Long Version

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCbk_JZfAMw]YouTube - WRX CRASH WHILST BEING TOWED IN ST. LUCIA[/ame]

and, based on that video, make sure the tow vehicle driver has at least half a brain and knows where their rear view mirror is located. There is no reason that a competent driver wouldn't have immediatly noticed that. :rolleyes:

+100000000

And, based on that video, make sure the tow vehicle driver has at least half a brain and knows where their rear view mirror is located. There is no reason that a competent driver wouldn't have immediatly noticed that. :rolleyes:

+1. I also don't see the need to go 50 through S's when you're towing a car.

Get a flat bed trailer that you can get all 4 wheels off the ground. The time and hassle saved in not having to disengage the rear drive shaft then reengage it later will more than pay for the trailer rental.

flat bed car trailer ftw. i used a penske one when i moved from ma to co. defintely worth the extra bucks.

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

What sort of road do you have to tow it that is a mile? Through the city? Along a nice flat straight back road with no traffic on it? For me, if it was the city I'd have someone tow it professionally for me. Along a nice back road? I'd probably tow it SLOWLY and CAREFULLY with someone sitting in the towing car watching back to make sure nothing bad happened.

Great advice...maybe rob a few corner stores along the way:eek:

hey its the cheapest solution imo. he could also call the police himself and ask them to follow him, a mile isn't far at all, he could also get 5 buddies together and have them push it the mile.

Archived