LegacyGT.com

What kind of discount did you get off the MSRP, if any

gt dreamer

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone have any input on this game in Canada? I'm looking to trade in my bmw 325i 2004 for a 3.0R Outback and invoice is about 35k. Also, why don't I hear any of you Americans talking about "transport and Prep"? Is that a bargaining issue south of the border? Here it's about a thousand bucks!

Wow I took a look at Fitzmall.com and they are indeed discounting around $1-2k under invoice. Any experience if Russell or Annapolis Subaru will match their prices?

Also, can I have the short-throw shifter installed at the dealer if the car doesn't have it installed as an option already?

Can anyone give me a rundown of scheduled maintenance costs on the LGT? I heard someone mention that Subaru has an $800 all inclusive maintenance special with possible rebate?

I'd take those advertised prices with a grain of salt. Often times you will end up getting there and they will tell you that price is after a $3000 trade-in or something, since everyone trades in a car :rolleyes: when buying a new one.

But if they are for real, I'm sure you could take them over to Russel or Annapolis Subaru and use them as leverage for getting a good deal. Try to get Russel to beat it, then take Russel's offer over to Annapolis, get them to beat it, then go back to Russel and try to get it just a bit lower. Or any combination of that. Heh, just try to get it as low as you can. Competition, competition.

I was able to go to Invoice, less half of dealer holdback. (another 1% below invoice?).

Also got 10,500 on my 2002 RS with 60,000 miles for trade!

Trick for me was to work with one dealer primarily, then spend an hour at 2 other dealers. In the end, I paid an extra $100 to do business with the first dealer who worked a good deal with me. Worth the service in my mind, I even told them I paid more to do business with them.

In the Philadelphia burbs, I paid 750 under dealer invoice. 05 White OBXT Auto,

The drive away was ~ 27kish, I had them add a sub, and nets, etc. Which were at invoice price.

Not much haggling to reach that price. ~ 1 hr total. I spent more time discussing a reasonable trade for my old vehicle.

The online Fitz price is what you pay. It also means you don't have any haggling room for the most part. Below is the Legacy I would buy if were in the market for one right now. I'm waiting for the GTP to get to my 2004 WRX which I bought quite a while back into 2003.

Body: GT LTD(BLK INT)MT5

Color: Garnet Red

Stock#: S204266

Model#: 5AG

VIN#: 4S3BL676256204266

Delivered Internet Price: $25,551 http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/imgs/smFreight.gif

Delivered Value Price: $25,920 http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/imgs/smFreight.gif

Factory Invoice: $27,229 http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/imgs/smFreight.gif

MSRP: $29,406

...$1627 below invoice for a 5MT GT (Non-L) Wagon w/4 "I install them" accessories including subwoofer in New England. The more I called around and stirred up a competitive hornets nest, the better my sense of where the "bottom end" of my haggling would truly be. When only two dealers were still hanging in there, and both were prepared to walk over what I wanted to be a $25 throw-in, I figured that the well had finally gone dry. At that point I picked the more local of the two dealers, took a deep breath, and did the dirty deed before they could re-check their math.

BTW, I'm convinced that "suggested retail price" exists only for "highball" dealers who use it as a handy reference point to convince unwary buyers that they're getting a sweet discount, when in fact they're paying for the owner's new plasma TV. My highball dealers wanted more than $2300 above what I ultimately paid; I just thank my stars that I had the stamina to play the end-game. I was prepared to pay more if necessary, but I sure didn't want to be up in that 90th percentile.

I'm thoroughly impressed with the car, and won't shed even a single tear when the payment book arrives!

congrats ksnh, do you mind sharing how much less you paid than a comp at fritzmall.com? I'm trying to find if they are selling at the lowest end already. I'm in North Jersey, but wouldn't mind a small road trip to pick up a new gt wagon myself.

thx

congrats ksnh, do you mind sharing how much less you paid than a comp at fritzmall.com? I'm trying to find if they are selling at the lowest end already. I'm in North Jersey, but wouldn't mind a small road trip to pick up a new gt wagon myself.

thx

Replied by PM.

Blur,

What dealers did you try around Philly? Do you like the place where you ended up? The best I've heard so far is $500 under (Rafferty). My test drive makes me leary of them though. The car was filthy. I mean mud and scratches all over the drivers side of the car, and that was just the INSIDE.:eek:

XCskiguy

I tried most of them in the area. I originally passed on any of the doylestown dealers because of previous experiences. After all was said and done, I bought it from Fred Beans Subaru in Doylestown. Ed something, the internet sales guy. Fredbeans.com

Straight shooting, honest. Recommended.

Thanks for the rec. A buddy used his quote from Beans to get a better deal on an Outback at Welsh in Royersford/Collegeville (not as good as yours). I work down in Malvern so I haven't looked as far as Doylestown. I had been all set to buy and trade my '01 Audi A4 2.8Q back in January. Edmunds led me to believe that I had a some fairly good trade value (wrong). I finally sold the car privately (top $ too). So having grown patient out of necessity, I'm now toying with waiting for the '06s unless I see an excellent deal on an '05. Congratulations on your deal. That's the best I've heard of locally.

Just got back from Fitzmall in Maryland. Bought an Atlantic Blue GT limited with no options. Paid $26,293 after tax, tags, and everything. Got $16,000 for my 2003 WRX that had 20,500 miles on it. I'm still not sure how good a deal I got on the trade, but overall I think I did ok.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a 2.5i limited with dimming mirror, alarm upgrade and cargo net for $25,400+ TTL. They also threw in $200 in gas cards, that I gladly accepted.

I almost felt bad when I turned down their extended warranty and pinstriping. I bought the car in Pittsburgh PA, using the dealer internet quotes to pin two dealers against one another.

With no trade in, I got a thousand below invoice $26,500 at Carr Subaru in Beaverton, OR. Black/tan interior, spoiler, sub-woofer, momo shift knob, MT, auto-dimming compass mirror. The negotiation was tough, but paying cash and no trade-in, the dealer had no leverage.:D

My GT Limited Wagon as equipped was about $31,400 list, and I got it for $27,200 before tax, title and license. I was happy with the deal and it wasn't some bare-knuckles negotiation, just did my homework, made a reasonable offer and closed the deal. :)

Has anyone bought/leased in the STL area, or anywhere in Missouri or Illinois? If so what did you end up paying or leasing for? I'm looking at leasing and want to try and get 5MT Limited sedan for no more than 27 with only the short throw and subwoofer.

Hey, I'm moving to the boston area this summer and am looking to get a legacy. Have any good dealerships in the area? Also, my parents bought a subie in '97 and i was wondering if u know of any deals that can be worked out for being a repeat customer at that dealership. This is gonna be my first car, so i'm a newbie at this...

I just bought my Mother a Suby Legacy. She priced them up in the Boston area and in Maine. (where she lives)

It seems that buying a Suby in "high demand" areas is not the ideal situation.

I bought it for her in the Philly burbs for ~ 1800 less than the best price she could negotiate.

Does anyone have any input on this game in Canada? I'm looking to trade in my bmw 325i 2004 for a 3.0R Outback and invoice is about 35k. Also, why don't I hear any of you Americans talking about "transport and Prep"? Is that a bargaining issue south of the border? Here it's about a thousand bucks!

Down this ways the delivery (transport) fee is not negotiable. As for prep, that isn't really priced out on the window sticker. It's just sort of built into the price I guess. I wouldn't put any faith in the detailing job done by the dealer, especially if you drove a hard bargain. The most their likely to do down here is wash and vacuum it at least in my experience in my last two new car purchases.

Brian

Down this ways the delivery (transport) fee is not negotiable. As for prep, that isn't really priced out on the window sticker. It's just sort of built into the price I guess. I wouldn't put any faith in the detailing job done by the dealer, especially if you drove a hard bargain. The most their likely to do down here is wash and vacuum it at least in my experience in my last two new car purchases.

Brian

If your dealer's idea of PDI is just a wash and spraying some armor-all, I don't think I'd shop there. Usually PDI is included in the "destination charge" and involves a checklist and a short drive by a technician to make sure everything is set up right, adjusted, etc.

That said, when I got my car (which had been PDI'd some time before and had been sitting inside the showroom for an unknown amount of time) I noticed that it was WAY tail-happy under power... I had driven the sedan harder on the test drive than I did the wagon (I drove the wagon mainly to compare noise inside once I realized that my bull terrier beast's travel kennel wasn't going to fit anywhere in the sedan...) So, I was a little concerned that something about the weight distribution of the wagon made the handling SUCK. Then I thought about things that could cause this, and a little checking showed that the air pressure in the tires ranged from 23 to 25 psi... so obviously they needed ANOTHER PDI before delivering mine! I'm going to discuss that with them when I get The Survey.

DKB

Archived