LegacyGT.com

Well, the LGT sure does crash well...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, where were you? We only had a dusting downtown. I didn't even consider getting snow tires here since it snows so little.

At least you're ok! Even though the airbag didn't go off, your Subie protected you. You could definintely be much worse off!

Hope you're driving a new one soon!

tom

tom :)

I agree 100 with RobY on "A computer will always be better than a human in terms of unexpected corrections because it can instantaneously apply the most aggressive course of action slowing you down quickly and safely. "

That is my biggest gripe about owning this car. Excluding that I am very happy with the car!

It IS a horrible tire. Not saying that it caused the accident... but the reason why alot of us complain about it is because they genuinely SUCK objectively and subjectively. Nearly everybody who has had the tire on any model line complains about them. Im just saying when enough people start complaing about somthing, that somthing just MIGHT be wrong...

my 0.02 cents.

Hey RobY, I think you mean 2 cents. Or $0.02. ;)

Sorry, couldn't help it. :rolleyes:

But I do agree, the RE-92a is not a great performance tire. I would put them on a minivan though. :)

tom

tom :)

I love how everyone screams "lawsuit" before checking any facts.

If the Air Bag sensors were not hit and the Air Bag did not deploy, they worked as they should. Now if they were hit and the bags did not deploy I'd hav eno problem with legal action...but since none of really know....why scream lawsuit?

Sorry about your car. But cars can be replaced, glad to hear that the car's design and safety features kept you alive.

If the Air Bag sensors were not hit and the Air Bag did not deploy, they worked as they should. Now if they were hit and the bags did not deploy I'd hav eno problem with legal action...but since none of really know....why scream lawsuit?

If the deployment of the airbags would have prevented his head injury then whether the sensor was activated or not there is obviously an issue.

If the sensor was activated and didnt work then it was a malfunction and if it wasnt activated for another reason obviously that should be addressed (negligence?).

In any case like everyone else Im glad that he was not seriously injured, which is all that really matters.

Why did the passenger side go off without anybody sitting in the passenger seat?

That combined with the fact the car was cartwheeling has me wondering why the drivers bag did not deploy.

The driver being injured in a spot that would have been probably protected along with Subaru's initial problems with the side airbags is also interesting.

Toss in one set of poor side impact standards, and there is plenty that warrants more research that could easily lead to a lawsuit.

The important thing he is okay. Any possibility of posting some pictures of the car?

-B

AIrbags are only deisgned to deploy when its accelerometer detects higher than threshold g forces... and only for a fraction of a second.

He probably impacted passenger side first. A roll isnt enough to induce airbag deployment otherwise the airbags would go off when you cornered really ard while driving.

You guys realize that airbags dont stay inflated they go off and deflate within a second. They are only designed to fend of an inital impact in which the drivers side im assuming there was none.

If the car rolled an airbag that inflated during impact did its job and would do nothing in the roll phase because it would be deflated.

Althogh people have justifiable lawsuits... Alot of people are just quick to jump on the legal bandwagon.

So true.....so true......

As for this.....black ice is so freak'n dangerous. Tear.. about the car, but man...You are breathing...and in tact......thank the stars....Keep us posted on the status and what the new ride will be.......rest rest rest...and get well....glad to see you can still post ;)

Wish you the best.......

Not sure I understand why the passenger airbag went off. Thought the way it was designed since there was no one in the seat it's detector was shut off.? Not that it matters, the car was totaled so no $ saved there. :confused:
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Wow, sounds like the out come could have been a lot worse. Glad to hear your ok!

I live in Rochester, NY where is snow's just about ever freaking day during the winter. I'll be honest I'm kinda of surprised how good my 05' LTD GT has handled thus far in the snow. I really was expecting worse with all the power and the lower profile tires. That said, If I didn't have a winter beater(87 dl wagon) I'd probably invest in winter tires and wheels which would make it handle much better

No, I don't have pics. The car was very smashed up, but the passenger compartment was fine. It was 1.5 weeks old, 700 miles. I'm not an inexperienced driver, with 200,000 miles in other AWD cars- I almost pulled myself out of this spin, but couldn't. I'm wondering what stability control could have done...

Jrod, I'm glad your okay but maybe your not as experienced as you think. Your only 24 and that doesn't equate to being fully experienced in my book. Having a 250 HP AWD car can lead to a false sense of security. I've lived in Utah, New Hampshire, Mass before moving to mild Central Va and I know bad weather and especially ice can lead to serious results. From the sound of your story and description, I'd say you may have been pushing the limit which happens to many SUV (and other AWD) drivers who feel their vehicles are invincible.

Also, I go back to me being 24 and I was pretty young, dumb, and full of crum? I'm not saying you are Jrod but "pilot" error may have some substance here.

I've own 5 subarus and they are not invincible so everybody be careful, they're so few of us as it is.

I stand corrected....

however if there is not sufficent imact on the drivers side the airbag sensor will not inflate the airbag.

I wiped out pretty bad at 120 mph in my WRX doing somthing stupid into a highway divider spun the car multiple times and NONE of the airbags deployed because my inital imact was in the rear end. The car looked like a hatchback after the impact. I was lucky to escape unscathed with nothing more than a broken spirit and a sore lower back for a week.

I learned my lesson, don't drive stupidly on the street. I realize I was putting my life and everybody elses life in danger. When we are young we tend to think we are invinsible. I was given a second chance. I still drive with "spirit" but I now hesitate when doing somthing that may exceed my bounds.

I learned my lesson, don't drive stupidly on the street. I realize I was putting my life and everybody elses life in danger. When we are young we tend to think we are invinsible. I was given a second chance. I still drive with "spirit" but I now hesitate when doing somthing that may exceed my bounds.

Yea, when I was young I drove pretty "spirited" and downright insane at times. I had a 1971 240Z, that was my baby. I still drive spirited at times I just have more discipline and caution to more dangerous situations.

I remember when I was younger in the driveway and I was showing off to my friends how all 4 of my tires were spinning in the ice and I was revving it pretty hard. She moved just a little forward and one of the wheels caught traction and I took off and ran right into the garage doors. My Dad was pissed!

theJrod, how's your head doing? What's the latest on insurance/next car?

Only on SUVs at the moment RobY for those style of airbags, and all of the side airbags will go off if rollover is detected. Hence the mention of the Forester. Sure some cars have it though as well, don't thinnk at the same pricepoint as the SUVs with them though.

Certainly does make sense though to have at least the side bags stay inflated for a few seconds (Ford's stay inflated for six seconds). Would have worked well in this kind of accident situation.

-B

and just to make you feel better... your certainly not the first nationally... maybe on this site... but

Branch Stock # Slot Year Make Model Title Damage Odometer VIN Close Date

Baltimore 1251909 TBD 2005 SUBA LEGACY 2 - ALL OVER 1058 (ACTUAL) 4S3BL616557000000 TBD

Buffalo 1210392 TBD 2005 SUBA LEGACY - ALL OVER 4S3BL686256000000 TBD

Chicago-West 1216133 TBD 2005 SUBA LEGACY - FRONT & REAR 2651 (ACTUAL) 4S3BL616557000000 TBD

Kansas City 1239729 TBD 2005 SUBA LEGACY - FRONT END 4069 (ACTUAL) 4S3BL616556000000 TBD

Philadelphia 1223144 TBD 2005 SUBA LEGACY - FRONT END 485 (ACTUAL) 4S4BP61C257000000 TBD

Raleigh/Durham 1225195 TBD 2005 SUBA LEGACY - FRONT END 2834 (ACTUAL) 4S4BP61CX57000000 TBD

Salt Lake City 1222011 TBD 2005 SUBA LEGACY - FRONT END 2800 (INOPERABLE DIGITAL DASH) 4S3BL676956000000 TBD

San Diego 1268513 TBD 2005 SUBA LEGACY - FRONT END 4S3BL616457000000 TBD

Spokane 1184977 TBD 2005 SUBA LEGACY - ALL OVER 4S4BP61C557000000 TBD

Archived