LegacyGT.com

LCA Bushings

JonLGT

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just pulled the arms off, the ball joint wasn't too bad (I only have 30k miles) and I haven't had a problem with any seized bolts yet. I will be getting them pressed in a little bit and will report on the difference after everything is done.

Just pulled the arms off, the ball joint wasn't too bad (I only have 30k miles) and I haven't had a problem with any seized bolts yet. I will be getting them pressed in a little bit and will report on the difference after everything is done.

If you have a 'before' reading from an earlier alignent for your caster, and an 'after' reading from your post-install alignment could you post it here:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103950

I've pretty much decided to install the offset LCA bushings also- probably AVO +0.50. I can't seem to source any Fulcrum offsets easily here in the US. I'm interested if the bushings actually put +0.5* caster on and how they feel after the install. I've noticed that the BMW 330i runs about 7 degrees of caster- I've driven those cars and they were pretty sweet- I wonder how it compares? Good luck and let us all know how it goes for you.

Also- did you remove your LCA and take them to a shop for the press or did you have someone do the whole thing? Interested to know your costs if you want to share! Thanks!

If you have a 'before' reading from an earlier alignent for your caster, and an 'after' reading from your post-install alignment could you post it here:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103950

I've pretty much decided to install the offset LCA bushings also- probably AVO +0.50. I can't seem to source any Fulcrum offsets easily here in the US. I'm interested if the bushings actually put +0.5* caster on and how they feel after the install. I've noticed that the BMW 330i runs about 7 degrees of caster- I've driven those cars and they were pretty sweet- I wonder how it compares? Good luck and let us all know how it goes for you.

Also- did you remove your LCA and take them to a shop for the press or did you have someone do the whole thing? Interested to know your costs if you want to share! Thanks!

I went with the non offset. To install I removed the whole arm, and had pressed out of the arm and the new one back in. A friend of mine is a mechanic so I got the press for free.

I figured while I have the wheels off the car I should roll my fenders, so I borrowed a roller locally and will be doing that before I take a test drive.

• 1 month later...

So I have the Perrin versions which is solid and offset. I was thinking about getting standard.

What do you experts recommend I go with? My baby is just a daily driver and I get fun in the twisties once in a blue moon.

So I have the Perrin versions which is solid and offset. I was thinking about getting standard.

What do you experts recommend I go with? My baby is just a daily driver and I get fun in the twisties once in a blue moon.

I think the solid perrin will be too much far a dd IMHO. You would be better off with the poly bushings from AVO or speed pro. I have had my standard super pro lca and had no problems fr over 2yrs.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Did SuperPro redesign their bushings to have a lip like the AVO bushings do? Been reading up on LCA bushings and I'm a bit concerned with longevity. I had a friend (he drives a Maxima) that had his LCA bushings quite literally slip out, pretty much destroying one side of his front suspension.

The Perrin seems just too hardcore for what I'm looking for, and getting rid of the "windy highway" feel is EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

Still leaning towards the AVO bushings though.

Did SuperPro redesign their bushings to have a lip like the AVO bushings do? Been reading up on LCA bushings and I'm a bit concerned with longevity. I had a friend (he drives a Maxima) that had his LCA bushings quite literally slip out, pretty much destroying one side of his front suspension.

The Perrin seems just too hardcore for what I'm looking for, and getting rid of the "windy highway" feel is EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

no change that I know of. I only heard of one person having a problem with super pro. and the was because the installer damaged the arm on the install.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I installed the AVO offset bushings- they have the small lip, but I'm not sure about the SuperPro version. I like the new bushings- the combination of a little more caster and the firmer bushings really changed the feel of the car. Installing them was not really that difficult either- I bought a 20T press from Harbor Freight that did the trick (and probably came out about even $$ once I do the other car). I agree that the solid bushings would be a bit harsh, especially compared to the daily driving performance difference between the AVO and Perrin bushings. Although the AVO bushings added somewhat to the NVH of the car, its not that bad. I added Cobb anti-swaybars shortly after that and I really like the combination. I may install the whiteline steering bushings later as the final touch.

I installed the AVO offset bushings- they have the small lip, but I'm not sure about the SuperPro version. I like the new bushings- the combination of a little more caster and the firmer bushings really changed the feel of the car. Installing them was not really that difficult either- I bought a 20T press from Harbor Freight that did the trick (and probably came out about even $$ once I do the other car). I agree that the solid bushings would be a bit harsh, especially compared to the daily driving performance difference between the AVO and Perrin bushings. Although the AVO bushings added somewhat to the NVH of the car, its not that bad. I added Cobb anti-swaybars shortly after that and I really like the combination. I may install the whiteline steering bushings later as the final touch.

Where did you get proper "piece" that matches the bushing size to press it in/out? Did you use some large socket?

To press the old OEM bushings out, I tried a variety of large sockets, but what worked best was a 2"x3" cundit rigid nipple (don't laugh!) from the Home Depot electrical section. It cost less than $3. I pressed it 8/10 of the way out and then put the bushing on the shop vise and drove it out the rest of the way with a dead blow hammer. It took about 10 minutes per side.

To press the new offset AVOs in, remove the center part of the bushing and then it becomes simple because it is flat like a hockey puck. Simply remove the center metal part of the offset bushing and the two small orange pieces. Make sure the offset is oriented in the proper position per the instructions and that the lip is facing up. Press it in with a flat plate- a piece of scrap metal, it does not have to be very thick- 3/8 in worked OK in my case- the trick is to get the control arm level and in the proper orientation and level. This was done with a jig make of oak scraps. I also shimmed up my shop press, so it did not have much play in it. Once the bushing is pressed and flush, grease up the center section with the grease included in the kit and press that center metal piece into place- this part can be done in an ordinary shop vise.

Not sure if that's the best way, but it worked well for me with a minimal ammount of difficulty.

Did anyone who put these on an Outback XT decide to put a washer over the top bushing where it meets the spacer by the frame rail.

Some have reported that the spacer is going inside the top bushing and not staying on top of it.

I dont know if this is a problem but I need to check mine and then determine if I should had a washer on top of it to keep it from doing this.

I think on the legacy GT the top bushing rests right against the frame rail and not against a spacer.

Could someone post pics of their AVO bushings intalled on a legacy GT?

This picture shows the spacer above the bushing on the outback.

http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/43161/2002322200074087040S600x600Q85.jpg

• 8 months later...

I'm going to bring this back and ask the question again and again....

Added caster or standard offset? I keep hearing things about the front wheels being pushed closer to the front of the wheel wells.... is this actually true? I need to decide standard vs positive offset very quickly... my OEM bushings are toast and are in dire need or replacement.

I only daily drive the car....

LCA offset bushing does push the wheels forward and should give you more feedback from the road.Have you ever ride a sport bike with the forks straight up compare to a cruiser with the forks at angle,same effect,I will be installing Perrin's LCA soon.

LCA offset bushing does push the wheels forward and should give you more feedback from the road.Have you ever ride a sport bike with the forks straight up compare to a cruiser with the forks at angle,same effect,I will be installing Perrin's LCA soon.

Why are you going with the Perrin and not the poly ones?

I like the offset bushings. They provided more of a 'planted' feel. It is particularly noticeable at highway speeds. The poly offset LCA bushings will provide a good compromise of firmness and performance IMO. I've heard that the Perrin bushings are good for track, but don't have any give to them at all. This could make harshness, vibration, and noise a factor.

Archived