LegacyGT.com

LCA Bushings

JonLGT

I have been researching these for the last week or so and I still have a few questions. My main concern is getting rid of the sloppy steering, and reducing the amount of wandering which I have learned these do a great deal of improvement. Between brands, I dont think it will be a difference, some people are happy with AVO some with the Superpro so that is no issue for me. My main concern is whether or not to get the offset bushings. What difference does the offset make? I read the offset bushings will give you positive caster, but when looking at my front wheels I see that my wheels are pretty far forward into the front of the wheel well (at least thats what I assume positive caster is) and there isnt any more room for them to move forward without my tires shredding on my fender. Will the non offset still get rid of the slop and wandering? What are the cons of the offset vs. non-offset? Thanks in advance!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I I read the offset bushings will give you positive caster, but when looking at my front wheels I see that my wheels are pretty far forward into the front of the wheel well (at least thats what I assume positive caster is) and there isnt any more room for them to move forward without my tires shredding on my fender. Will the non offset still get rid of the slop and wandering? What are the cons of the offset vs. non-offset? Thanks in advance!

That isn't positive castor. Castor has to do with the angle of certain points in the steering geometry. Search. There are some good threads showing exactly what it is and what it does.

I have been researching these for the last week or so and I still have a few questions. My main concern is getting rid of the sloppy steering, and reducing the amount of wandering which I have learned these do a great deal of improvement. Between brands, I dont think it will be a difference, some people are happy with AVO some with the Superpro so that is no issue for me. My main concern is whether or not to get the offset bushings. What difference does the offset make? I read the offset bushings will give you positive caster, but when looking at my front wheels I see that my wheels are pretty far forward into the front of the wheel well (at least thats what I assume positive caster is) and there isnt any more room for them to move forward without my tires shredding on my fender. Will the non offset still get rid of the slop and wandering? What are the cons of the offset vs. non-offset? Thanks in advance!

I was in the same conundrum as you two weeks ago and opted for more positive castor (offset bushings). Slightly increased turn-in and added dynamic camber were the selling points for me.

The LCA bushings are sitting at Yimi Sport Tuning and have yet to be installed; just haven't made the trip there, yet.

I was in the same conundrum as you two weeks ago and opted for more positive castor (offset bushings). Slightly increased turn-in and added dynamic camber were the selling points for me.

The LCA bushings are sitting at Yimi Sport Tuning and have yet to be installed; just haven't made the trip there, yet.

Where did you get your bushings from?

I have the super Pro standard because I worried about clearance. The offsets move the wheel foward. You can see I don't have much room with my 19's. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/112332.jpg

I'm very happy with the poly bushing. They work well with my other suspension mods. Also I heard the perrins are harsh.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Can't the offset ones be adjusted at installation for more caster or more static camber - i.e., more caster v. camber would increase clearance?
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I have the super Pro standard because I worried about clearance. The offsets move the wheel foward. You can see I don't have much room with my 19's. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/112332.jpg

I'm very happy with the poly bushing. They work well with my other suspension mods. Also I heard the perrins are harsh.

So they do move the wheel forward? I am so confused. :confused:

Of course they move the wheel forward. Personally I am against offset bushings. They put the arm in a such position so it puts pressure on the front bushing making it "crooked". I have not heard about any problems with that yet, but I imagine this can cause that bushing to wear prematurely.

That being said I am a fan of on-center bushings.

You guys.

They (offset ones) push the rear of the LCA out a bit, this pushes the wheel a bit more forward in the wheel well.

This will change all alignment settings in the front:

-toe (will be adjusted back after an alignment)

-camber (should now be a bit more negative)

-caster (will have more caster now)

So they do move the wheel forward? I am so confused. :confused:

I'm about to put in a positive caster bushing, and this is what I know.

It pushes the rear attachment of the lower control arm slightly outwards from the chassis. At the wheel, this results in moving the LCA forward, just the lower one, the upper one does not move. So, what you end up with is the wheel pushed slightly forward, but more importantly, it increases the caster, meaning the steering axis is angled back more (think the front wheel of a chopper).

With more caster, the car sits closest to the ground when the wheel is centered, and turning the wheel lifts the car up slightly (due to the square profile of automobile tires. this wouldn't happen with motorcycles). So, the wheel centers itself better as it wants to move to the position with the lowest vehicle height, and you also get more steering resistance/weight right off the center, both of which help our car's slop off the center.

And it also adds negative dynamic camber to the outside wheel.

I'd say go with the positive caster bushings.

A little off topic, but if I were to order the Fulcrum Super Pro bushings, which part # do I need for the non-offset ones? The online catalog from their site has 4 different part numbers with similar descriptions:

SPF3091K: Front Control Arm Lower - Inner Front Bushing

SPF2802K: Front Control Arm Lower - Inner Rear Eccentric Bushing

SPF2803K: Front Control Arm Lower - Inner Rear Eccentric Bushing

SPF2801K: Front Control Arm Lower - Inner Rear Bushing

Thanks for any input guys.

They sell three kits:

SPF2801K - 2 standard

SPF2802K - 1 offset and 1 standard

SPF2803K - 2 offset bushings

The stats are from a thread back in '05 when a Aussie member told us about the bushing. And alot of us got them. 2yrs later no problem.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=778965

the SPF3091 are for '08+ WRX I'm not sure if it will fit

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I had the AVO offset bushings professionally installed three weeks ago, and had a performance alignment. I did this after reading that it would reduce the wandering or tramlining if you will. I also heard that it only slightly increased NVH (which is absolutely false!) Over rough patches on the freeway, it felt so bad that I could hardly beleive that so much road vibration was being transmitted from just a bushing. I went on a pretty long road trip and logged 1,000 miles (mostly freeway, and some mountain highway through donner pass). I figured that by the end of the trip I would either love them or hate them. While some of the tramlining was reduced, the wandering feeling was not. This got progressively worse when I got home and drove around town or awhile. Yesterday, the wandering got so bad that it felt like something was broken and when I inspected under the car, I discovered that the bottom rubber piece of the AVO bushing had desintegrated and vanished. The lower control arm is now floating up and down along the metal sleeve.

I would have to agree with UncleMat on the idea of offset. I think that there is a great deal of force being applied to this part on our cars, and this is why the stock bushings are failing on so many cars in the first 10k to 20k miles. The offset bushing is going to increase the stress on this point, and the higher durometer rubber is not up to the task of either absorbing vibration or holding up over time.

There was no gain in cornering feel or performance either. The only thing I noticed is that at slower speeds the steering wheel was slightly harder to turn. I thought this would be a good thing, but as it turns out, this is the result of components fighting eachother and will result in pre-mature wear over time.

The car has about 26k total miles on it, and all of this is just my opinion based on personal driving experience. There may be a better bushing out there, but I would advise everyone without reservation to steer clear of the AVO bushings. It is back to the stock bushings for me....

Archived