LegacyGT.com

A/S Tire Comparison

absolutsnwbrdr

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well....i drove from yonkers/bronx area up to my house about 30-35 minutes away in the 'light' snow, and I must say these Altimax HP's are incredible!!!

I was the only person in the right lane (where the snow packs up) going 60-65!!!!! hahaha

I loved it, everybody I passed, just stared...some guy even went so far as to shake his head as I blew by him...so far so good, i even tested these guys on a hill (up and down) that had about 3-4 inches untouched...and my scooby just plowed itself right through like it was all dry!!!

So far I give these Altimax HP's a 10/10 for dry

10/10 for snow

NA/10 for rain (i haven't found myself in a rain storm yet:lol:

I've Crashed My ROFLChopper into a LOLCanOhttp://legacygt.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16939&dateline=1230531251

• 3 months later...
I narrowed the selection down to either the Bridgestone 9600 or the Cooper Zeon AS. One of the tech's had the coopers on his 350Z, so I gave them a try. I would rather replace at tire at about 100 bucks. The RE92's are almost double the price and were terrible. I will post how they are after I put some miles on them. I commute about 60 miles each way so I will get chance to test them out. I think Cooper has a 45 day return if not satisfied.

keep in mind...most folk say skinnier tire...for what?

to cut through the snow? to what? last time here in WA there was ice at the bottom of the snow. a skinny tire will yield less tire patch on said ice than a stock size.

most main roads will be plowed anyways.

also...cut though enough snow and tire wont matter since you will be high centered.

THAT was my problem this past year NOT the 960 a/s.

i rocked it out within a few minutes. found out a pickup truck got stuck at the same point for over an hour and had people pushing on it. my gf's fathers truck was getting stuck in the basic parts i was driving over. it was a slight incline going up over where the burm was when a plow went by.

as i said...high centering is the biggest problem not the traction of the re 960. the hills in bothell when it got crazy the gt drove fine while others were spinning for basic traction.

i will be getting another set when they hit the 40k mark in 5k more miles.

I am in the same boat you are looking for new tires.

I have heard good things about the eagle GT but the one knock is they are loud as hell.

I was leaning towards one then read more reviews. I liked the Michelin Hydroedge but they are a T rated tire so I am back to square one.

Perhaps Nokian i3. Quoted here in Portland at 130.00 a tire and they are supposed to be a great tire.

heard great things about the General Altimax HP as well by Subaru owners on tirerack.com.

thanks for the input guys! i really do want to stick with a 205 though... just for the narrower track in the snow. i'm going to keep doing some research, but will be keeping the potenza in consideration

As soon as you say snow, the answer is Nokian WR G2's. They are A/S with a 400 treadwear rating and the Mountain/Snowflake snow rating. Not cheap, but outstanding tires.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/421281831_EfcC5-L.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I've had the eagle gt's on for about 3000+ now, and I'm really going to suggest them. I don't notice road noise at all. And I love the nice tread for going down any dirt roads that may have turned to mud :)

:whore:

As soon as you say snow, the answer is Nokian WR G2's. They are A/S with a 400 treadwear rating and the Mountain/Snowflake snow rating. Not cheap, but outstanding tires.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/421281831_EfcC5-L.jpg

:whore: X 2 if you can afford it.

I've had the eagle gt's on for about 3000+ now, and I'm really going to suggest them. I don't notice road noise at all. And I love the nice tread for going down any dirt roads that may have turned to mud :)

I just slapped on these bad boy's today and they are a 100% improvement from the crap I had on there before.

Have they reduced your MPG noticeably?

From the reviews I've read at Tirerack, Eagle F1 A/S weight a couple pounds more than most other tires of the same class and size. In addition to the ridiculous amount of road noise, they can reduce your fuel mileage 2-3 MPG. Hopefully GY fixed these problems in the Eagle GT.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Over the winter obviously we're going to get much lower readings, but they were very comparable to the Ventus Sports that I ran last winter:eek:(dont do that)... ~20/27 IIRC. This winter I was seeing ~19/26 with the eagle's.

Hopefully the warmer weather will give me good mileage... I could get 24/31+ last summer with the Ventus Sports.

Just with the numbers from the winter, I fully expect to be able to get 22-23/30 this summer. Once it gets warmer out and I get to take a road trip, I'll post up some more numbers.

Mind you I have the 2.5i, and have somewhat slightly spirited driving from time to time.

I just slapped on these bad boy's today and they are a 100% improvement from the crap I had on there before.

I have been chatting with a OBXT owner from New Jersey who said the same thing. He really digs the Eagle GT. They rock in the snow and rain.

Did not notice anymore road noise then usual.

I still rocking the awesome RE92's with 26K miles. I LOVE THESE TIRES:eek:

Hate is more like it. Eagle GT's are looking pretty good now.

I have been chatting with a OBXT owner from New Jersey who said the same thing. He really digs the Eagle GT. They rock in the snow and rain.

Did not notice anymore road noise then usual.

I still rocking the awesome RE92's with 26K miles. I LOVE THESE TIRES:eek:

Hate is more like it. Eagle GT's are looking pretty good now.

get 'em! i love mine

:)

I am in the same boat you are looking for new tires.

I have heard good things about the eagle GT but the one knock is they are loud as hell.

I was leaning towards one then read more reviews. I liked the Michelin Hydroedge but they are a T rated tire so I am back to square one.

Perhaps Nokian i3. Quoted here in Portland at 130.00 a tire and they are supposed to be a great tire.

heard great things about the General Altimax HP as well by Subaru owners on tirerack.com.

Yeah, I don't recall seeing "noise" as being a common complaints with the new Eagle GT. It was definitely a complaint with the GT's big brother the F1 A/S, but not the GT.

Personally, I would not go any lower than the speed rating of the tire which came on the car--especially if these will be used year 'round. I'm seeing a lot of votes in favors of the Cooper CS4 Touring V-rated, the Eagle GT, and the new Generals so you've got a few options with positive press behind them.

I wasn't willing to take any more risks on buying a tire I won't be happy with in the long run, I just went with a set of the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires which ran $146/each from DTD in size 16" (I also downsized from the stock 17's to 16" rims) and love them....plus they're about the only tires in the UHP All-Season category which comes with a 45k mile warranty. Since these cars tend to munch even the longest wearing of tires, I felt like this was a worthwhile investment. Haven't had 'em in the snow yet, but I feel pretty confident based upon my own experience with the last version of this tire on other cars I've owned.

Let us know what you end up going with....

Tim

I've got the GY Eagle GT's, size 205/50/17 I've got about 3,000 miles on them. They have performed exceptionally in all weather conditions so far. My only complaint is noise. These tires are deafening.

Those of you with the Eagle GT's, what pressure are you running them at? Perhaps this is a source of their song.

I'm running 35 front and 32 rear. I think I have the newer GT's though, different tread design and less noise. Love em'!

Has the tread design changed since a few months ago? I also have what is apparently an alignment issue that makes the car a little squirrely at highway speeds, maybe that's the cause.

Has the tread design changed since a few months ago? I also have what is apparently an alignment issue that makes the car a little squirrely at highway speeds, maybe that's the cause.

I don't think the tread has changed; especially since it's a new tire to begin with. Mine are perfectly stable at higher speeds. Your alignment is the likely culprit.

I don't think the tread has changed; especially since it's a new tire to begin with. Mine are perfectly stable at higher speeds. Your alignment is the likely culprit.

I don't think the tires are causing the instabillity either. I'm just wondering if there is a reason why some (myself included) get significant road noise from these tires and some don't. I really like the tires, but it's like running mud terrains on the highway.

Possibly alignment issue, but also possible tire pressure issue. Balance your tire pressures, especially side-to-side on the rear. With the rear LSD, even .5-1.0 psi difference S-2-S, will make the car sway as one wheel, with lesser circumference, tries to catch up with the opposite wheel, which has a larger circumference and is turning slower. Results in a constant "push" from one side of the car.

Also, keep the factory spec 2 psi F/R bias, otherwise the center diff loads/unloads due to bias unbalance between the two axles, and can result in left right surging.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I don't think the tires are causing the instabillity either. I'm just wondering if there is a reason why some (myself included) get significant road noise from these tires and some don't. I really like the tires, but it's like running mud terrains on the highway.

I think it has to do with the road's surface. Mine are quiet over most of my drive except for one section of the highway where it's really loud.

Unless you are driving the same Subaru on the same road surface with the same tires, road noise will change based on the location of the driver as the coarseness of the road surface contributes greatly to the noise.

That is why newly paved roads rock as it is like driving on glass and whisper quiet.

We have roads here in Portland Oregon that vary greatly. There is about 15 miles of Asphalt on I-5 through Portland that is loud as hell regardless of the car and tire. A friends Audi Q7 is loud. My Outback with the Flintstone like RE92's is unbearable.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived