LegacyGT.com

A/S Tire Comparison

absolutsnwbrdr

And so comes the never ending list of tires, lol, just kidding I came down to 2 tires. I happen to find these tires very appealing and also both have very good reviews. But of course....1 dominating the other.........Any thoughts.....?

1 - General Tire: Altimax HP .......215/45R17 -- $89

2 - Fuzion - HRi .......225/45R17 -- $76

I've Crashed My ROFLChopper into a LOLCanOhttp://legacygt.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16939&dateline=1230531251

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, tire design has more to do with traction in snow moreso than track width.

For example, yes, you're right.

A 205 or 215 Potenza 960AS PP is going to be slightly better than a 225 Potenza 960AS PP.

However, a 225 Potenza 960AS PP is going to be VASTLY superior than a 205 or 215 RE92.

Just by switching to a different tire like a 960AS PP or a ContiExtremeContact you're going to get MUCH better traction than a narrower RE92.//

A Norwegian test of snow tires belies that. A Nokian RSi 205 tested substantially better than the 225.

Personally, I don't buy Bridgestones, period, because the RE92A was so bad.

Of the tires intially mentioned by the OP, I've had very good luck with Goodyears but haven't used that tire. Last time I bought an AS it was the Michelin HydroEdge.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

So I finally made my decision and I just paid for the tires about 5 minutes ago......

I went with General Tire: Altimax HP's......215/45R17...

and I must say, they didn't run me that much, only 380$$, I was surprised and very happy,

Thanks Tim for all your help, and I'll definitely keep you all updated on them, as I'm sure many others have too,

thanks!

I've Crashed My ROFLChopper into a LOLCanOhttp://legacygt.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16939&dateline=1230531251

So I finally made my decision and I just paid for the tires about 5 minutes ago......

I went with General Tire: Altimax HP's......215/45R17...

and I must say, they didn't run me that much, only 380$$, I was surprised and very happy,

Thanks Tim for all your help, and I'll definitely keep you all updated on them, as I'm sure many others have too,

thanks!

Congrats, Mark!

Yeah, I'm very curious to hear how you like them on your LGT. I've been on the market for a more performance-oriented A/S tire, but I'm starting to come to the conclusion that on an Outback with stock suspension, it's never gonna' handle all that great--so I might be better off going with a Grand Touring tire and playing with the tire pressures to try and firm-up the sidewalls a little. As much as I'd love to keep doing the dedicated 3-season and dedicated winter setups, the cashola just isn't there any more :)

Keep us posted!

Cheers,

Tim

I just went out and snapped 2 pics with my shine...

In the first pic you can see the "curb-protection" feature of the all-season Goodyear Eagle GT. Keep in mind that these are 205/50.

The second pic is just showing the crazy tread design that the people at goodyear came up with. As I said, I'll let you know how they are in the snow as soon as it happens!

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v652/231/4/72100768/n72100768_30885820_6431.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v652/231/4/72100768/n72100768_30885819_7214.jpg

A Norwegian test of snow tires belies that. A Nokian RSi 205 tested substantially better than the 225.

Personally, I don't buy Bridgestones, period, because the RE92A was so bad.

Of the tires intially mentioned by the OP, I've had very good luck with Goodyears but haven't used that tire. Last time I bought an AS it was the Michelin HydroEdge.

Contradicts what?

I said 2 things.

1. Narrow is better.

but

2. Tread compound and design are much more important than width as long as width is near-stock stize.

Practical application questions:

Which is going to be better in snow?

225/45/17 Dunlop Wintersport 3D

or

215/45/17 RE92

225/45/17 Dunlop Wintersport 3D

or

215/45/17 Potenza 960AS PP

The improvement in traction by switching compounds from an all season to a winter tire is going to be MUCH greater than going from a 225 width to a 205 width in the same compound.

here in salt lake we had a nice little storm on christmas night about 10-12 inches, and i was very impressed with the eagle gt. its stopping ability is great and handling was awesome.

i used to get nervous changing lanes across the slushy-muck, but the gts powered right through. i even went and found a road in the neighborhood that hadn't seen a plow yet and turned her loose and i felt in control the entire time.

they also ride very smooth and quiet. they are a vast improvement from my falkien f452 in all aspects. the f452 sound like a SUV with mudders chugging down the highway

here in salt lake we had a nice little storm on christmas night about 10-12 inches, and i was very impressed with the eagle gt. its stopping ability is great and handling was awesome.

i used to get nervous changing lanes across the slushy-muck, but the gts powered right through. i even went and found a road in the neighborhood that hadn't seen a plow yet and turned her loose and i felt in control the entire time.

they also ride very smooth and quiet. they are a vast improvement from my falkien f452 in all aspects. the f452 sound like a SUV with mudders chugging down the highway

That is great news!! I'm really excited to try them out!! COME ON SNOW!!

Congratulations on your tire choice. FWIW and realizing that you've already bought your set - I thought I'd post here that I am completely sold on the Micheline PS A/Ses in 225/45x17. I'm on my second set, the first set lasting way longer than I expected.

As you know, SoCal gets heavy deluges during the winter rains, which translates into deep, heavy, wet snow in the mountains, just 30 minutes from our home. And when it rains during the winter, we head up to the mountains to play, and that means travelling through the heavy rain, slush, ice, and snow to get there.

We were even stranded during a bad Valentine's Day storm this year (my writeup about that excursion is elsewhere on the board) and was able to manuever through about 8-10" (and more with snow blowing/drifting). I was literally moving through steep up- and down-hill passages, when other vehicles were splayed out on the road like so many knocked-over dominoes. We were getting around with relative ease (to other driver's chagrin), but the CHP had shut down the roads and we weren't allowed off the mountain.

But the best part is that when you leave the snow and ice behind, these tires excel in rain, on dry, in the twisty-turnies, and they are an excellent track day tire. So for me, at their price point, these tires are the best-of-the-best for true all-season driving. Way better than the ContiConact Extremes in my experience. With my latest suspension upgrades, I've really been able to take advantage of these tires and at uprated speeds and maneuvers, these tires shine even more - nonplussed, no drama, they just ask for more.

I will be upgrading my wheels to 18" this year, and will be shodding those wheels with a set of MPS A/Ses as well.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

So I finally got those beautiful, beautiful tires in, and I was soo happy to see them.....i ordered them off of tiresavings.com because of the cheaper price.....and I am not regretting anything so far....

so here are some pics of the tires >>> General Tires > Altimax HP > 215/45R17

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/scubbyguy/DSC04327.jpg

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/scubbyguy/DSC04326.jpg

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/scubbyguy/DSC04334.jpg:):):):):):):):):):):):) Sooo Happy, im gonna go and jack my scooby up now!!! Im a happy boy!!! :lol::lol:

I just went out and snapped 2 pics with my shine...

In the first pic you can see the "curb-protection" feature of the all-season Goodyear Eagle GT. Keep in mind that these are 205/50.

The second pic is just showing the crazy tread design that the people at goodyear came up with. As I said, I'll let you know how they are in the snow as soon as it happens!

Cool pics!

I wish I understood how these tires do so well in wet and snowy conditions given their really big treadblocks on the outer edges.:confused:

Years ago, Goodyear made a tire called the Wrangler RS-A which had 3 different tread patterns in an attempt to be a "do everything well" tire. The inner edge was an aggressive, deep lug pattern for mud, etc. The middle section was less aggressive with wider sipiing and aqua channels. The outer section was a very tight tread pattern with very small sipes--the idea being to increase tire wear and reduce noise.

The problem was the outer tread pattern; it was too close together and didn't provide any places for water to chute--it was basically like driving on a tire with a bald outer edge; it was fine on dry pavement but hydroplaned in the smallest amount of water and at low speeds. Maybe a good concept, but a bad execution? ;)

This new Eagle GT tire seems to have a similar concept; on the outside edge there at wide treadblocks for stable dry weather handling (and which are detrimental in wet or snow). At the inner edge the treadblocks are much smaller--and with many more sipes for wet and snow conditions (but which promote tread squirm and premature wearing in dry conditions).

Honest, I'm not knocking these tires at all....I'm just wondering how the heck this all comes together into a tire which everyone here seems to really like--even in snow! :)

Tim

Well, I've only put so many miles (10) and so far, dry traction feels great, not to mention a much quieter ride, especially over the numerous train tracks that are located around my home.

As absolutsnwbrdr says, I also have yet to try these honey's in the snow. ( and in the rain for me )

I would have to say....the ONLY downside on these tires is that they do not have the rim protector....but I am not too down about that......

but I have to say, I am really liking this aggressive tread design...considering it's rated as a grand touring tire......I LOVE THEM!!!

but here are some picks of these guys mounted and installed, before they touched the wet outside world asphalt....:D

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/scubbyguy/DSC04265.jpg

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/scubbyguy/DSC04273.jpg

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/scubbyguy/DSC04284.jpg

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/scubbyguy/DSC04280.jpg

So HAPPY...sorry for so many pics.....:lol:

i have had my tires for about two weeks, and we have seen a lot of snow and evene a few days of sunny dryness and i could not be more happy with my eagle gts. on the sunny dry days i took them on some winding roads and they grip like a mutha, so smooth and quiet, and shralp the snow. i have also been trying to put it sideways on some wide empty roads and they but up a battle.

the only thing i can really say negative about them is when over the sub-freezing nights when they are caked with ice and snow they seem to have a flat spot, that takes a few hundred feet of driving to work out.

other than that, they are money!

they are a vast improvement from my falkien f452 in all aspects. the f452 sound like a SUV with mudders chugging down the highway

OMG, pls tell me you didn't try running FK-452's in the snow?!? They're Summer-only tires ;)

I run them on the back of my old 7-Series because I couldn't justify the cost of a new pair of Pilot Sport A/S after only 21k miles. They're really good tires and haven't become noisey for me yet, but definitely don't have the control of the Michelins--although they did cost 50% less.

Tim

OMG, pls tell me you didn't try running FK-452's in the snow?!? They're Summer-only tires ;)

I run them on the back of my old 7-Series because I couldn't justify the cost of a new pair of Pilot Sport A/S after only 21k miles. They're really good tires and haven't become noisey for me yet, but definitely don't have the control of the Michelins--although they did cost 50% less.

Tim

yup, i ran them through the entire winter last year, as long i as i was tracking a straight line they did fine, it was turning, accelerating, and stopping that was sketchy:spin::eek:

......this sucks......:mad::mad:

I parked my scooby outside my Gmother's house, I took my work van to do some chores........came back to find an unsuspecting flat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad: ON MY NEW TIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::eek:

Turns out I have a F***ING nack for hitting S**T somewhere, I am so depressed...... :(:(

I mean......the only good thing that came out of it....in a sense to be able to repair it....is that something hit it directly in the middle of the center tread groove.......

So I am going to my local garage and have them take the tire off and slap a patch on the inside......

You guys think this will solve the problem........for the long haul...?

did I mention I am soo depressed about it now :( :(

I honestly have no clue:confused:

But it must of been long enough to reach into the groove, and then with some more movement pop out again, because when I checked it, there was nothing there:iam:

But I talked to my pops, and I plugged it in my garage last night......put some air in it, and I have yet to step in the garage to make sure no pressure was lost.......

Either way......I just have bad luck I guess......or good luck with finding these things...however you look at it

but i got over it, sh!t happens:spin:

I was more angry at the fact that I havent even put 100 miles on the darn things yet

Anywayz, I just heard on the news, and several other people, that we will be getting 8....or more inches of snow tomorrow in the westchester area.....so i'll definitely be able to report back with handling in snow conditions by tomorrow night or sunday afternoon if i'm out having too much fun, haha

So far my Eagle GT's have been great, took some twisty's at 20mph more than the RE's tonight and never had the death grip on the wheel....could have went faster.

They are calling for 8"+ tomorrow into Sunday so I'll report back on their snow handling. We had a wicked ice storm this week and they handled it very well, I was surprised at their bad weather grip which just might be better than my Triple Treads I had on my 97 Outback.

Archived