LegacyGT.com

A/S Tire Comparison

absolutsnwbrdr

Just my .02: I don't often see a MPG difference with higher weight tires. You can feel a drag at low speed/rpm acceleration and maybe braking, but for the most part the energy you expend getting the tires rolling is conserved and returned through momentum.

When you'll see MPG decrease is when rolling resistance is increased. When you go to a stickier tire, or certain tread patterns too, you'll see rolling resistance increase which will decrease your MPG.

Just wanted to put that out there. I went from General Exclaim UHP (215/45/17, 18 pounds per tire) to Falken 912s (215/45/17, 25 pounds per tire), about the greatest weight difference you can achieve in the same size tire. My MPG remains rock steady at about 28-29 mpg, because my rolling resistance was pretty similar.

Joe

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just my .02: I don't often see a MPG difference with higher weight tires. You can feel a drag at low speed/rpm acceleration and maybe braking, but for the most part the energy you expend getting the tires rolling is conserved and returned through momentum.

When you'll see MPG decrease is when rolling resistance is increased. When you go to a stickier tire, or certain tread patterns too, you'll see rolling resistance increase which will decrease your MPG.

Just wanted to put that out there. I went from General Exclaim UHP (215/45/17, 18 pounds per tire) to Falken 912s (215/45/17, 25 pounds per tire), about the greatest weight difference you can achieve in the same size tire. My MPG remains rock steady at about 28-29 mpg, because my rolling resistance was pretty similar.

Joe

Went from 225/45x17 MPS ASes on stock wheels to 225/40x18 MPS ASes on 18x8 GT-Vs (1" increase in rolling cross-section 1 lb increase in wheel/tire weight) and saw immediate 2-3 MPG drop around town. Haven't made any trips, but my expectation is that there'll be a ding in the highway mileage too.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I am throwing on a new set of Eagle GT's today. Will report back...

OK, I am so not used to seeing that much tread on my wagon (replaced OEM RE92's at 27K) . Tires Look good. Will give them a nice workout on the way home.

Archived