LegacyGT.com

Exhaust with two different personalities?

SpawnGT

Ok, so i know ive created at least 2 threads regarding this matter before (at least 6 months ago) but each time they get piled on with threads that have been bumped up.

So here is my question again, is there an exhaust out there that has dual personalities. Meaning at low RPM (or even low boost) the exhaust is very very quiet almost stock, but when you give it a lot of gas and/or raise the RPM high enough (or even high enough boost) the exhaust gas pressure opens some kind of valve and makes the exhaust louder?

This is similar to what Mercedes, BMW, and Audi/VW have been doing for along time. What they have in their mufflers is a valve that is controlled by some means or form. When you are driving around the valve is pretty much closed and the exhaust noise is being HIGHLY baffled by the muffler, but when you really get on it the valve is opened up and the sound and gas is allowed to leave through the UN-baffled part of the muffler (usually through a different tail pipe, in the case of VW R32's at least)

In case someone is confused completely as to what i'm talking about this is an example of the VW R32 exhaust.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQUE271zAbw]YouTube - VW R32 exhaust flapper mod[/ame]

hmmm...Some sort of rotating flapper on a springed mechanism. Sorta a cutout. Maybe an electronic cutout that is connected to throttle pressure?

Well i've had an electronic cutout, in fact i've had two different ones on my car, the time necessary for it to open is far greater then the time that you would be on the throttle. Ive also had straight pipes, and the XO2 system on my car, right now im runnning XO2 with stock mufflers though.

• 1 month later...

Heh, it used to be a stock feature on my 99 JDM Twin-turbo Legacy. Had a electronically controlled flapper that opened up a second pipe into the muffler. It wouldn't open till about 3000-3500rpm, I believe. It's been a while.

Nearly 100% of Japanese twin-turbo Legacy owners did the same thing I did - just wired it open permanently. It performed better that way, and even Subaru got the idea eventually, dropping that feature from the cars in the future.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

Archived