LegacyGT.com

How much you pay for your 60k service?

I also know that some dealers in the Northern Va area(Fairfax county is one of if not the highest place to live in the US) and some do not charge that much for a 15k.

You paid $350 discounted to $315 for a 15k.

This is what I offer for 2.5 times cheaper

Oil and filter change

Tire rotation and balance

Adjust Parking brake

Top off all fluids

Test battery and check connections

Check over entire vehicle

So if I do the math, it appears your independent shop charges customers $126 for this service. I went back and looked at my 7.5K service invoice for my Legacy at the dealership. It's the same list of services as yours, plus they added "clean throttle body and injectors." You know how much it cost, with loaner car, parts and fluids, and sales tax here on high-priced Long Island? $118.90. Given that your shop makes people find their own transportation down there in Richmond, the service you describe is probably worth $75 at best. I don't think you're in a position to lecture others about overcharging.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was trying to point out the value of someone's time. If I was making $25 and hour, had multiple other things to do with my time (spend it with family, earn some overtime, etc.) and, instead, had to carve out two hours of the day or more to do an oil change (go to the auto store, buy oil, filter, etc., not to mention need to clean up, dispose of waste oil), then I'm probably going to drop down to the dealer, pay his $32 and get a loaner to boot. It's not rocket science.

Two hours? I am sorry, but you can have your stuff delivered. It is called buying your parts in bulk and via the internet. It takes what 30 minutes to change your oil? I haven't timed myself.

Maybe you'd be better off sticking to brake fluid as your area of expertise.
:rolleyes:

Yeah I am sure you know what it is. You haven't gotten the slightest clue about me and what my expertise is. Your post clearly prove that.:)

So if I do the math, it appears your independent shop charges customers $126 for this service. I went back and looked at my 7.5K service invoice for my Legacy at the dealership. It's the same list of services as yours, plus they added "clean throttle body and injectors." You know how much it cost, with loaner car, parts and fluids, and sales tax here on high-priced Long Island? $118.90. Given that your shop makes people find their own transportation down there in Richmond, the service you describe is probably worth $75 at best. I don't think you're in a position to lecture others about overcharging.

Wow you have definitely done your homework :lol: That was sarcasm btw.

My independent shop? Sorry, No extra credit for that question. I don't work at one, I work at a Subaru dealership in the service dept. Why do you need the Throttle body and Injectors cleaned at 7500 miles? You don't, but you are gladly paying for it. For Christ's sake, it is a new car!! For 7500 miles, all that's needed is an oil change and tire rotation and check everything over and we charge quite a bit less than 75 bucks for that.

We make customers find their own transportation? Damn, 0 for 2. We offer free transportation to where they need to go and we come and get them.

I know what a dealership's cost is to operate, much more than you do.;) I am not trying to compare your cost of living verse mine. I am simply stating you are paying for alot of add ons you do not need and shouldn't ever need. However, if you are naive enough to willingly pay for extra stuff that you do not need, then be my guest. You have plenty of money to blow. So blow it anyway you like. I am done with this debate.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I spend $350 to have my dealer change my differential & transmission oil right in front of me because I don't really trust them and do the rest of the items myself.

+1 good advice...one guy here in NY took it to the dealer for an oil change and they didn't actually do anything.

Two hours? I am sorry, but you can have your stuff delivered. It is called buying your parts in bulk and via the internet. It takes what 30 minutes to change your oil? I haven't timed myself.

My independent shop? Sorry, No extra credit for that question. I don't work at one, I work at a Subaru dealership in the service dept. Why do you need the Throttle body and Injectors cleaned at 7500 miles? You don't, but you are gladly paying for it. For Christ's sake, it is a new car!! For 7500 miles, all that's needed is an oil change and tire rotation and check everything over and we charge quite a bit less than 75 bucks for that.

We make customers find their own transportation? Damn, 0 for 2. We offer free transportation to where they need to go and we come and get them.

I know what a dealership's cost is to operate, much more than you do.;) I am not trying to compare your cost of living verse mine. I am simply stating you are paying for alot of add ons you do not need and shouldn't ever need. However, if you are naive enough to willingly pay for extra stuff that you do not need, then be my guest. You have plenty of money to blow. So blow it anyway you like. I am done with this debate.

How about answering my question? How come my dealership in higher-cost NY can do exactly the same service as yours -- plus the throttle body and injectors cleaned, as well as a new Subaru loaner valued at $40-$50 for the day -- for $118, when yours charges $126. And how does your dealership provide this "free transportation?" Load customers into a bus? Yeah, that sounds really convenient. All I heard in your earlier posts was a lot of boasting about how much cheaper and better your dealership was. Now that I see the price comparisons, it sounds pretty crappy and greedy to me.

Please... NY and VA cost of living is a real bargin compared to California. Only 3% of the people in Los Angeles can afford to buy a home. You East Coast guys are living like kings.

California's great. I'd pay the extra bucks to live there. As for living like kings, I wish. You beat us on some housing prices, but I think we've probably got higher property taxes. Sounds like we're both getting squeezed.

How about answering my question? How come my dealership in higher-cost NY can do exactly the same service as yours -- plus the throttle body and injectors cleaned, as well as a new Subaru loaner valued at $40-$50 for the day -- for $118, when yours charges $126. And how does your dealership provide this "free transportation?" Load customers into a bus? Yeah, that sounds really convenient. All I heard in your earlier posts was a lot of boasting about how much cheaper and better your dealership was. Now that I see the price comparisons, it sounds pretty crappy and greedy to me.

I said I was done the debate and meant it. In this post along with the others is why. You are assuming (me thinking I am better, the bus comment, etc:lol:) and not comprehending what I am talking about. I am done with the debate, so don't bother asking anymore. It would have been different if you had real questions instead of making huge bold assumptions about me. It isn't worth my time to argue with you.

Have a nice day:)

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

anyone got a list of part numbers for all the stuff replaced on the 60k? Just got off the phone with the SOG and they also do a Diff Flush, Tranny Flush and something else.... I'm going to try to do it myself but have had a little issue finding all the part numbers.

Here is what I have so far:

1. Coolant Conditioner - SOA635071 (Part numbers are subject to change.)

2. Super Coolant Blue - SOA868V9270

3. Fuel Filter - 42072AA120 (although it says it doesn't need to be replaced, in the trunk)

4. Spark Plugs - spark plugs ILFR6B NGK - I have always used NGK plugs so that shouldn't be a big issue.

Now does subaru have its own flavor of trans, brake fluid? I have seen diff fluid on subaru genuine parts but kinda lost with all the stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

The "Stealership" (hah) in Columbia just quoted me $960. Most of the afrementioned things I can do myself, aside from transmission and coolant flush.

I'm considering going to a private shop for these...

My question though, is that the 100K mile warranty requires the 60K Service be completed. Not sure whether it specifies that it has to be done by a dealership.

Any thoughts/related experiences?

See I heard that changing the plugs is a bitch. I can easily change my oil, rotate my tires, inspect fluids. The only two things I'm worried about is the spark plugs and the fuel filter. Any advice with those?

Fuel filters aren't bad. It'll be different on an EJ255 from an EJ251, a bit, but here's RS instructions that are basically still valid:

http://www.northursalia.com/modifications/drivetrain/ffilter/ffilter.html

Best suggestion in there is to get some rubber-tipped pliers to get the hose off, and coat the new fuel filter's arms with a light covering of white lithium grease. Helps a lot when you have to change, next time! Like Brian says on the site, though, just keep it away from the actual inlet/outlet holes.

Sadly our fuel filter is in the gas tank, with the pump, unless someone has pics otherwise. I did the 60k myself, spark plugs PITA (go in from the bottom) drive belts, new tires, air filter, oil change, checked all fluids, prolly have the diffs and trans flushed when i go home next.

Wholesale I paid 12 per for the recommended plugs NGK Iridium and retail was like 23 a piece from napa so 16 sounds good just make sure u tell him if u have the turbo motor they are NGK Iridium and thats the only thing u want to replace them with

• 1 month later...

I just spent $620 ($600 of which in Subaru Bucks!) for a 60k service on our 05 LGT 5mt wagon which inc Coolant, brake fluid, diff oil, tranny oil, engine oil change and rotate/balance. It also included changing two V-Belts and a turn signal($48).

They stated they don't do spark plugs till 90k. Is this normal? If not how much for plugs replaced typically?

The 2005 Factory Service Manual says spark plugs are to be replaced at 60K miles (or 60 months) for 2.5 turbo, and 30K miles for 2.5 non-turbo. It's 90K for km.

Tell them to look at page PM-3 of their own service manual.

Did they replace the air cleaner element? They should have.

--Lee

I just spent $620 ($600 of which in Subaru Bucks!) for a 60k service on our 05 LGT 5mt wagon which inc Coolant, brake fluid, diff oil, tranny oil, engine oil change and rotate/balance. It also included changing two V-Belts and a turn signal($48).

They stated they don't do spark plugs till 90k. Is this normal? If not how much for plugs replaced typically?

The 2005 Factory Service Manual says spark plugs are to be replaced at 60K miles (or 60 months) for 2.5 turbo, and 30K miles for 2.5 non-turbo. It's 90K for km.

Tell them to look at page PM-3 of their own service manual.

Did they replace the air cleaner element? They should have.

--Lee

Yup. They get replaced at 60,000 miles.

• 4 months later...

Just did my 60k service at about 51k and spent about 300 all together. Including the following.

Plugs

Front/Rear Diff Oil

Tranny Fluid Twice (about 9 quarts totoal)

Radiator fluid

Oil

Brakes (Fonrt/Rear)

Oil (Castrol syntec)

K&N Air filter

Let Me know if i have missed something. I am pretty sure I have covered it all although the fuel filter has been up for discussion by some. Dont let the dealer rip you off. This whole thing took less than a day to perform.

much more reasonable price. You did your own plugs? I've heard thats a pita to do.

did you flush the fluids or just replace? I'm thinking I should have my tranny and radiator fluids flushed.. which is about $300 each from the dealer. I thought about going to a private transmission and radiator place to have it done but I dunno if they're familiar with this type of transmission..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

There is no need to flush a 4 year old radiator that has never had contamination. Just do a thorough drain and refill with 50/50 distilled water/antifreeze.

If you own a 5mt, there's no need to flush it either. Just drain and re-fill with new. An auto trans may benefit from a full flush, as typically a drain will only get out about 70% of the old fluid.

They stated they don't do spark plugs till 90k. Is this normal?

I had mine replaced at 58,000. There was wear and the spark gap had increased.

$620 is an outrageous price. The fluids don't cost much at all.

Archived